The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek - Original Series (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   The problem with introducing my kids to Star Trek (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=217132)

Komack June 18 2013 04:58 PM

The problem with introducing my kids to Star Trek

One of the problems of introducing my kids to Star Trek is now I'm getting questions that I can't answer - especially from my 10 year old son. Here are today's questions, if any one can help:

(1) What is "bigger" - the Klingon or Romulan empire?

(2) How many planets/worlds make up the two empires?

(3) Did the Federation have a war with the Romulans before the Klingons?

(4) What happened to the Organian (spelling?) peace treaty?

Yikes!

marksound June 18 2013 05:02 PM

Re: The problem with introducing my kids to Star Trek

Send them to this forum. Regardless of whether anyone knows the answer, there will be plenty of discussion. :lol:

Sam_I_Am June 18 2013 05:04 PM

I'm answering these on the fly without checking any resources, so perhaps wait for a better answer:

1. I seem to remember from the Star Trek Star Charts that the Klingon Empire is bigger than the Romulan Star Empire, quite significantly so. The RSE seems to be 'locked in' by its Neutral Zone, whereas the Klingon Empire extends further on the other side to its border with the Federation.

2. Pass

3. They did have a war, referenced in the TOS episode 'Balance of Terror'.

4. Pass

Pavonis June 18 2013 05:08 PM

I imagine the Klingon empire is larger than the Romulan empire, but that's based more on the fact that the Klingons were more of a match to the Federation, whereas the Romulans, though dangerous, were isolated from the rest of the galaxy by the neutral zone. Besides, what does "size" mean? Population or just controlled planets? Or maybe just the size of the military counts?

Earth and her allies fought the Romulans in the 22nd century, before the development of the Federation. I don't know that the Federation ever had a shooting war with the Klingons in the prime timeline. They had a cold war akin to the US-USSR tensions, for sure. The Organians put a stop to the shooting, but they were motivated more by the annoyance of the activity in their system, I think. If the Feds and the Klingons wanted to fight somewhere else, I'd not expect the Organians to stop it again. Though just because the Organian Peace Treaty is not mentioned again after TOS, there's no reason to think it didn't remain in force.

Dale Sams June 18 2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Komack wrote: (Post 8264302)
One of the problems of introducing my kids to Star Trek is now I'm getting questions that I can't answer - especially from my 10 year old son. Here are today's questions, if any one can help:

Yikes!

1) Klingon

2) We don't know

3) Yes.

4) The Q Continuum drove the Organians underground.

Sran June 18 2013 09:52 PM

How is it a problem if your kids want to know more about Star Trek?

--Sran

Richard Baker June 18 2013 09:57 PM

I am facing a lot of the same questions introducing my Fiance to Star Trek- she saw the newest movie first, then next weekend I showed her 'The Space Seed' and 'The Wrath of Khan'..
Favorite comment so far:
"You know honey, not to seem ugly or anything, but William Shatner is not a very good actor,, is he?"

Since she is going to be part of my life I am trying to show her what I like, where I am coming from and quite frankly most of this sounds silly as hell when you try to describe it to a person who has only seen PriceLine commercials...

Sran June 18 2013 10:03 PM

^If half of everything is luck, the other half is context. People's impressions are based on what they know. If your wife only knows Shatner because of his Priceline commercials, it's not surprising that she doesn't think much of his acting. Hell, I remember him as Kirk from when I was four years old (I'm now thirty), and I still don't think much of his acting.

--Sran

hyzmarca June 18 2013 10:15 PM

Quote:

Komack wrote: (Post 8264302)

Yikes!

1) Klkingon. The Romulans, though militant, are pretty isolationist rather than expansionist.

2)Unknown.

3)The Federation didn't exist at the time of the Earth-Romulan War. It was the Human-Vulcan-Andorian-Telerite Alliance that came about during that conflict which eventually inspired the Federation.

The Federation never went to war with the Klingons. What they had was a cold war with a number of proxy conflicts, but it never descended into war between the two sides.

4)The Kittomer Accords happened after Praxis exploded. The Organian-enforced treaty became irrelevant as the Federation and the Klingon empire became allies.

That's the whole plot of The Undiscovered Country.

iguana_tonante June 18 2013 10:24 PM

What's wrong with "I don't know" as an answer?

;)

Sran June 18 2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

iguana_tonante wrote: (Post 8265922)
What's wrong with "I don't know" as an answer?

Do you have kids? If you say, "I don't know," they'll want to know why.

--Sran

T'Bonz June 18 2013 10:29 PM

Or make up some crap. They'll never know!

Sran June 18 2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

T'Bonz wrote: (Post 8265940)
Or make up some crap. They'll never know!

Is that logical?

--Sran

iguana_tonante June 18 2013 10:33 PM

Quote:

Sran wrote: (Post 8265928)
Do you have kids? If you say, "I don't know," they'll want to know why.

Well, he's only 6 months old now, so rolling on his tummy is what preoccupies him mostly these days. (Also, it was a joke, as you can infer from the winking face. :p )

billcosby June 18 2013 10:38 PM

[wrong forum, whoops]