The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Trek Literature (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Alt Story Idea-Borgified Alpha Quadrant. What is Data's role? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=217054)

Dale Sams June 18 2013 01:43 AM

Alt Story Idea-Borgified Alpha Quadrant. What is Data's role?

The Borg called him 'primitive'. Said he'd be obsolete. In a quadrant of Borgs...what would Data do? Typically, the Borg thing to do would be to ignore him. He can't do much by himself. I suppose the Queen might show up to chat with him for awhile, but frankly, I think she'd get bored with him.

So what would Data do? Become a historian? Collect the known history of all the assimilated species, attach it to a transwarp probe and shoot it to the Andromeda Galaxy?

Starbreaker June 18 2013 01:47 AM

Re: Alt Story Idea-Borgified Alpha Quadrant. What is Data's role?

Wrong forum?

Dale Sams June 18 2013 01:57 AM

Quote:

Starbreaker wrote: (Post 8261566)
Wrong forum?

Idea for an alt-history short story is the wrong forum? Okly-dokly.

Sran June 18 2013 02:05 AM

Well, the Borg Queen was quite enamored with him during First Contact, so I'd imagine she'd find a use for him in this hypothetical reality.

--Sran

Sho June 18 2013 02:37 AM

Quote:

Dale Sams wrote: (Post 8261611)

It's a rule of the Treklit forum that posting story ideas is a no-no because there are authors among us who might get into legal trouble if someone claims their idea was stolen etc.

Dale Sams June 18 2013 03:19 AM

Quote:

Sho wrote: (Post 8261806)
Quote:

Dale Sams wrote: (Post 8261611)

It's a rule of the Treklit forum that posting story ideas is a no-no because there are authors among us who might get into legal trouble if someone claims their idea was stolen etc.

Thank you for the explanation.

That's actually kind of funny, cause in addition to the idea, I was going to say..."I know some writers frequent these boards, and I'm an idea man, not a writer so...steal away", but thought that was kind of hubristic. But the more I think about it, the more I like it. so. Steal away.

I'd say Data could turn himself off and on as a means of time travel, but that smacks too much of a 70's Superman story AND a short story wherein a time traveler can only go forward and not backwards. In both stories, Supes and the time traveler just keep going and going and going...

edit: And I apologize for the no-no.

The Elephant's Graveyard June 18 2013 02:01 PM

It's still against the rules of this forum.

Story ideas are a legal minefield for writers, so here we just discuss the literature already written. We have a fan fiction forum for discussing ideas and Trek writing of our own. Try there, you should be able to get some good discussions going.

Closing the thread now.