The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies XI+ (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   what do people want star trek 3 to be like (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=217027)

tmosler June 17 2013 09:14 PM

what do people want star trek 3 to be like

So its been a few weeks since star trek into darkness was released and most fans liked it (like i did ) but many hated it such with the star trek 2009. So I have heard what people dislike or like about the movie but I started this thread to see what people would like changed in star trek 3. I know a lot of the fans who dislike the reboot dont like jj abrams directing so now that hes leaving what do people think the new director should do differently?

Candlelight June 17 2013 10:31 PM

Re: what do people want star trek 3 to be like

I liked the 2009 movie. I thought Into Darkness was flat and meandered quite a bit, full of plot holes and catered for homages to past movies rather than doing something new.

I want a Klingon war for ST3.

Sran June 17 2013 10:32 PM

Nonexistent.

--Sran

M'Sharak June 17 2013 10:32 PM

Quote:

tmosler wrote: (Post 8260225)
So I have heard what people dislike or like about the movie but I started this thread to see what people would like changed in star trek 3.

We've got a couple of threads sort of addressing that already:

Star Trek III - The [Speculation Begins] (Spoilers)

Developments you'd like to see in the NTrekverse

CorporalClegg June 17 2013 10:45 PM

I want it to be like Bono dressed as a Barnum and Bailey master of ceremonies in a Bugatti Veyron whipping donuts in the Sahara.

Layers of awesome.

-Brett- June 17 2013 11:41 PM

People wanted Khan, and Khan turned out to be the weak link in the movie. So now I want them to ignore what people want.

chardman June 17 2013 11:52 PM

-Brett- and a few noisy others didn't want Khan, and yet Khan has turned out to be one of the best screen villains in recent screen history, and most of the audience members who've been interviewed about it cite both Khan and the actor who played him, as virtually making the movie. So from now on, I want tptb to continue to ignore what Trekkies like -Brett- want.

King Daniel Into Darkness June 17 2013 11:59 PM

Quote:

Candlelight wrote: (Post 8260633)
I liked the 2009 movie. I thought Into Darkness was flat and meandered quite a bit, full of plot holes and catered for homages to past movies rather than doing something new.

You want all new stuff! No more rehashes!
Quote:

I want a Klingon war for ST3.
You want them to rehash stuff from DS9!

Make up your mind:p

Sran June 18 2013 12:00 AM

Quote:

chardman wrote: (Post 8261080)
-Brett- and a few noisy others didn't want Khan, and yet Khan has turned out to be one of the best screen villains in recent screen history, and most of the audience members who've been interviewed about it cite both Khan and the actor who played him, as virtually making the movie. So from now on, I want tptb to continue to ignore what Trekkies like -Brett- want.

Except that the Khan of 2013 didn't compare to the Khan of 1982. People who think Cumberpatch is the greatest thing since sliced bread only do so because he's a recent character portrayal.

--Sran

Ovation June 18 2013 12:25 AM

Quote:

Sran wrote: (Post 8261128)
Quote:

chardman wrote: (Post 8261080)

Except that the Khan of 2013 didn't compare to the Khan of 1982. People who think Cumberpatch is the greatest thing since sliced bread only do so because he's a recent character portrayal.

--Sran

No.

Cumberbatch is a far more versatile and talented actors than Montalban was. I quite enjoy WOK and I remember seeing it at the cinema in 1982. Was watching TOS for about a decade by then. And I still prefer 2013 Khan to 1982/1967 Khan. So your attempt to speak for more than yourself fails (as it does all the other tiresome times some posters here do so).

As for what I'd like in the next film? More of the same in terms of fun and entertainment. As for specifics--something unknown that may or may not be hostile that forces the crew to work with an enemy (doesn't matter which one) to resolve the problem. Allows for action, adventure, exploration, a bit of philosophy and a less earth-centric story (a minor gripe I have with the two films so far). I also want another mid-stream opening adventure--it's the best way, in a movie series, to suggest a broader background for the characters.

BillJ June 18 2013 12:31 AM

If the next film is the last one from Bad Robot, I want them to pull out all the stops.

Bring on the Borg.

Sran June 18 2013 12:32 AM

Quote:

Ovation wrote: (Post 8261254)
Cumberbatch is a far more versatile and talented actors than Montalban was.

Because you say so. End of discussion.

--Sran

JarodRussell June 18 2013 12:32 AM

Quote:

-Brett- wrote: (Post 8261029)
People wanted Khan, and Khan turned out to be the weak link in the movie. So now I want them to ignore what people want.

From what I gathered, people EXPECTED Khan, but didn't neccessarily WANT Khan.

Quote:

Ovation wrote: (Post 8261254)
No.

Cumberbatch is a far more versatile and talented actors than Montalban was. I quite enjoy WOK and I remember seeing it at the cinema in 1982. Was watching TOS for about a decade by then. And I still prefer 2013 Khan to 1982/1967 Khan. So your attempt to speak for more than yourself fails (as it does all the other tiresome times some posters here do so).

Now let's not shit on the actor just to elevate some film. For a hispanic actor born in the 1920s, Montalbans body of work in American TV and film is absolutely incredible.

Sran June 18 2013 12:34 AM

Quote:

JarodRussell wrote: (Post 8261284)

Absolutely. Most people I talked to were hoping for a villain- any villain- who wasn't Khan.

--Sran

BillJ June 18 2013 12:36 AM

Quote:

Sran wrote: (Post 8261287)
Quote:

JarodRussell wrote: (Post 8261284)

Absolutely. Most people I talked to were hoping for a villain- any villain- who wasn't Khan.

--Sran

Most people I talked too didn't care who the villain was as long as the movie was good. :shrug: