The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   General Trek Discussion (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Klingon Blood (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=216931)

Tiberius June 16 2013 03:02 AM

Klingon Blood

Oh yeah, I'm going here.

In ST6, it's pink. Everywhere else, it's regular red blood.

Of course, it was pink is ST6 so that we'd be able to see that "this is not Klingon blood!" Such a plot device was not required anywhere else.

So, given the importance given to Klingon blood colour, I personally tend to think that it's always "meant" to be that colour.

Thoughts? Anyone agree or disagree?

Maurice June 16 2013 03:27 AM

Re: Klingon Blood

Quote:

Tiberius wrote: (Post 8253586)
Oh yeah, I'm going here.

Boldly going to a topic that's been discussed here many times.

It's yet another example of lack of continuity in a franchise chock full of it.

Sran June 16 2013 03:54 AM

^I vaguely remember hearing that showing red blood would have changed the film's rating when it was released. I'm not sure if that's true, however.

--Sran

T'Girl June 16 2013 03:58 AM

My explanation is that the reason the blood looked like pepto bismol is because the unusual type of phasers (or unusual setting used) used by the assassins killed off large numbers of red blood cells in the area of the wound, leaving behind a higher than normal concentration of white blood cell. The result was "pink blood."

Because a different type of phaser was used, is the reason McCoy was having trouble getting the wounds to close using medical equipment that normally should have worked.

:)

The Old Mixer June 16 2013 06:37 AM

"Set phasers for pastel."

LobsterAfternoon June 16 2013 07:14 AM

Maybe Klingons have different blood types and those blood types can vary in color. The Chancellor may've had type, I dunno, "chopl'lkth" blood that appeared pink, while Worf has type, uh, "gash'blosh" blood, which appears dark red.

Tosk June 16 2013 07:18 AM

...Or it's just another oddity like the dozens of others scattered throughout Trek. It happens.

R. Star June 16 2013 07:23 AM

In the Star Trek Klingon video game they tried using the pink blood. Gowron taking a blood oath with pepto bismol just looked plain silly. So I think they made the right call.

scotpens June 16 2013 07:24 AM

"Why do Klingons have pink blood?"

"It is something we do not discuss with outsiders." :klingon:

DonIago June 16 2013 08:28 AM

Hell, if we're going to go there we could argue that the Augment virus is responsible for the change in color.

FormerLurker June 16 2013 09:56 PM

I always figured it was pink because of radiation from Praxis.

Kevman7987 June 17 2013 01:51 AM

Quote:

Sran wrote: (Post 8253781)
^I vaguely remember hearing that showing red blood would have changed the film's rating when it was released. I'm not sure if that's true, however.

--Sran

In that case I think it might be true because of the amount of blood shown. Instead of Klingon's bleeding from wounds, they were spraying blood out of wounds and there was blood everywhere when gravity was restored. IT WAS A BLOODBATH!

A little bit of red blood lets you keep PG, gallons of red blood takes you to PG-13 or R. Gallons of Pepto Bismol lets you keep the PG.

Makes sense to me.

Sran June 17 2013 01:57 AM

Quote:

Kevman7987 wrote: (Post 8256994)
In that case I think it might be because of the amount of blood shown. Instead of Klingon's bleeding from wounds, they were spraying blood out of wounds and there was blood everywhere when gravity was restored.

A little bit of red blood lets you keep PG, gallons of red blood takes you to PG-13 or R. Gallons of Pepto Bismol lets you keep the PG.

That makes sense and fits with what I was told before. Thanks!

--Sran

DS9forever June 17 2013 03:16 PM

Isn't there a version of ST VI where the blood is red?

T'Girl June 17 2013 03:24 PM

Probably wouldn't be that hard to alter the color to dark red while changing nothing else in the frame.

:).