The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Enterprise (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Did they over do the crews obsession with Cochrane? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=216796)

ArcherNX01 June 14 2013 03:42 PM

Did they over do the crews obsession with Cochrane?

I think they did, I know he is an iconic figure etc but still.

I'm pretty sure Armstrong etc aren't that obsessed with the guy who invented the Lunar Module.

Santa Kang June 14 2013 04:19 PM

Re: Did they over do the crews obsession with Cochrane?

Obsession? Examples please.

Cochrane's the guy who designed, built and flew the first Earth Warp ship. He was also the first guy to meet aliens. So he's Armstrong and the guy who invented the Lunar Module.

Dukhat June 14 2013 04:19 PM

Please explain why you think the crew was "obsessed" with Cochrane. Because I didn't see any kind of obsession. Unless you mean that little Cochrane statue Archer kept in his room, which we barely saw?

Robert D. Robot June 14 2013 04:35 PM

Cochrane is actually (IMO) more like the Wright Brothers plus Magellan all rolled into one, rather than Armstrong.

The crew of the Enterprise D was in awe of Cochrane in "First Contact", but for very good reason. He is the guy who opened the door for all their adventures!

R. Star June 14 2013 07:43 PM

I'd guess the OP is talking about First Contact the movie more than TNG itself. It was laid on a bit thick, but they were going out of their way to establish this is the guy who did all that for the casual viewers. Even then Barclay's the only one who really took it too far, but he's known for doing that with everything.

SchwEnt June 14 2013 08:04 PM

As mentioned above, Cochrane may not have any historic equivalent.

We have fellows like von Braun, Columbus, Yeager, Gagarin, Armstrong... but what is Cochrane?

He's the scientist who discovered the space warp physics? He's the engineer who designed the warp engine?
He's the builder who constructed the engine?
He's the pilot who broke the warp barrier?
He's the human who made first contact with aliens?

He's like having Einstein, Lindbergh, von Braun, Magellan, Yeager, Armstrong, Hawking, and more all rolled into one. Almost ridiculous.

R. Star June 14 2013 08:25 PM

More than a bit Mary Sueish when you look at it that way. :p

Santa Kang June 14 2013 10:40 PM

Quote:

R. Star wrote: (Post 8247553)
I'd guess the OP is talking about First Contact the movie more than TNG itself. It was laid on a bit thick, but they were going out of their way to establish this is the guy who did all that for the casual viewers. Even then Barclay's the only one who really took it too far, but he's known for doing that with everything.

But this is the Enterprise forum.

R. Star June 14 2013 11:10 PM

Quote:

Nerys Myk wrote: (Post 8248408)
Quote:

Well forbid I mention the one time in the franchise I thought they went over the top with Cochrane love. Having a few mentions and a brief cameo in Enterprise doesn't qualify with being obsessed.

gblews June 14 2013 11:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Took the words right off my keyboard. I think they're both confused.

Santa Kang June 14 2013 11:21 PM

Quote:

R. Star wrote: (Post 8248507)
Quote:

Quote:

Well forbid I mention the one time in the franchise I thought they went over the top with Cochrane love. Having a few mentions and a brief cameo in Enterprise doesn't qualify with being obsessed.

I underlined what you wrote.

R. Star June 14 2013 11:27 PM

Yes and so? First Contact is the only time in the franchise they really spazed out on Cochrane in the franchise other than mentioning hey he invented Warp Drive. It's a relevant example.

You're being a little silly if you're implying that I can't post something topic related about another incarnation of Trek here.

Poinsettia June 14 2013 11:47 PM

Quote:

R. Star wrote: (Post 8248582)
Yes and so? First Contact is the only time in the franchise they really spazed out on Cochrane in the franchise other than mentioning hey he invented Warp Drive. It's a relevant example.

You're being a little silly if you're implying that I can't post something topic related about another incarnation of Trek here.

Now, you have typed the words off of my keyboard.

Santa Kang June 15 2013 12:09 AM

Quote:

R. Star wrote: (Post 8248582)

You're more than free to talk about other shows here, but thats not what I'm referring to. You said the OP was probably referring to FC and not TNG. Looking at the OP I do not see a reference to FC or TNG. Now you may feel that that the crew in FC was obsessing over Cochrane to a ridiculous level, but the OP hasn't.

R. Star June 15 2013 12:14 AM

Then reread the part of my post you took the effort to underline. The first two words are... I'd guess... in regards to the OP. The initial "question" wasn't posed into much detail at all, and as I said... the only time Cochrane was treated obsessively was in First Contact.