The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Doctor Who (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Wiped Episode Discoveries (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=216709)

Allyn Gibson June 13 2013 04:34 PM

Wiped Episode Discoveries
 
Bleeding Cool is reporting on the rumor that there are some discovered episodes soon to make a return.

This particular rumor has been floating around for about a year, since the "Galaxy 4" and "Underwater Menace" returns. Now it's picking up steam.

And "Evil of the Daleks" gets a mention.

I think the "full Hartnell," however, is unlikely, because we'll never, ever see "The Feast of Steven" again.

We shall see.

Emh June 13 2013 04:40 PM

Rumors of a Special Surprise for the Anniversary
 
Bleeding Cool reports that there have been rumors going around about a very special surprise for the anniversary: An announcement that a number of previously lost Doctor Who episodes have been recovered, including fan favorite Evil of the Daleks.

Quote:

And the rumour is that we may be getting a whole host of Doctor Who episodes.


Not new ones, but episodes not seen anywhere since they were first broadcast.

...

And there are lots. Lots and lots. Completed serials that we’ve only had incomplete before, full series that nothing existed of. Not everything. But heaps and heaps. Possibly even The Full Hartnell.

...

There’s even the rumour that the much touted DVD set Regenerations out this month, with its previewed animation clip of the regeneration between the first and second Doctors is a bluff, and they now have the full The Tenth Planet in which the Doctor regenerated for the first time which will be released in this set. But that strikes me as wish-fulfillment too far. Would be very clever though.

...

UPDATE: Shortly after posting, I received further confirmation of the details listed above from another, better connected source. I don’t think I need to cross my fingers quite so hard any more.
While this is all rumors and such, I certainly hope it's true. This isn't first time I've heard something along these lines, especially in regards to Evil of the Daleks, so hopefully there's some truth to it.

Emh June 13 2013 04:43 PM

Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries
 
Blast you, Allyn, you beat me to the punch!

Christopher June 13 2013 04:55 PM

Re: Rumors of a Special Surprise for the Anniversary
 
If this is a hoax, it's a very cruel one. It would be awesome if true, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Allyn Gibson June 13 2013 04:59 PM

Re: Rumors of a Special Surprise for the Anniversary
 
Quote:

Christopher wrote: (Post 8242135)
If this is a hoax, it's a very cruel one. It would be awesome if true, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

"Cruel" is, I think, a little strong. :)

Captain Dago June 13 2013 04:59 PM

Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries
 
If even a quarter of this is true, it would be FANTASTIC!

Sindatur June 13 2013 05:24 PM

Re: Rumors of a Special Surprise for the Anniversary
 
This will be so cool if true. Even if only a few episodes are recovered of stories that already have something still existing, it may be enough to at least animate more stories

Can you imagine if you were a Warehouse worker (and knowledgable enough in the fandom to know what a find it was), and happened across a box filled with canisters of Doctor Who episodes while you clearing out an old section of the warehouse

So, is it a safe assumption, that this rumor has now become so strong, there almost has to be something to it? IE: There has to at the very least be 1 episode, even if the whispering of the story from person to person pumped it up to lots and lots. Or is it still likely it's a complete load of hogwassh?

Allyn Gibson June 13 2013 06:06 PM

Re: Rumors of a Special Surprise for the Anniversary
 
Quote:

Sindatur wrote: (Post 8242216)
So, is it a safe assumption, that this rumor has now become so strong, there almost has to be something to it? IE: There has to at the very least be 1 episode, even if the whispering of the story from person to person pumped it up to lots and lots. Or is it still likely it's a complete load of hogwassh?

One rumor that's circulating is that a large mass of material has been found/was recovered, and that this happened either with or close in time to "The Underwater Menace" and "Galaxy 4." When those episodes made their premiere at the British Film Institute, the rumor was that was just the tip of the iceberg; people in the know knew that there was more than just those two.

Then specific names started getting tossed around. "Marco Polo." "The Enemy of the World." Possibly "Evil of the Daleks." (And yes, I know how unlikely a recovery of "Evil" is.)

Rich Johnston of Bleeding Cool says that he's heard from his sources that sixty episodes have been recovered. I can't believe that. No, wait, I can. But I won't believe that. Because that's impossible.

DalekJim June 13 2013 06:16 PM

Re: Rumors of a Special Surprise for the Anniversary
 
For those that believe this:

Congratulations! You are the 100th reader of this post and have won a million pounds. All I require are your bank account and PIN number, to be sent to my friend in Nigeria.

Sindatur June 13 2013 06:18 PM

Re: Rumors of a Special Surprise for the Anniversary
 
Quote:

Allyn Gibson wrote: (Post 8242405)
Quote:

Sindatur wrote: (Post 8242216)
So, is it a safe assumption, that this rumor has now become so strong, there almost has to be something to it? IE: There has to at the very least be 1 episode, even if the whispering of the story from person to person pumped it up to lots and lots. Or is it still likely it's a complete load of hogwassh?

One rumor that's circulating is that a large mass of material has been found/was recovered, and that this happened either with or close in time to "The Underwater Menace" and "Galaxy 4." When those episodes made their premiere at the British Film Institute, the rumor was that was just the tip of the iceberg; people in the know knew that there was more than just those two.

Then specific names started getting tossed around. "Marco Polo." "The Enemy of the World." Possibly "Evil of the Daleks." (And yes, I know how unlikely a recovery of "Evil" is.)

Rich Johnston of Bleeding Cool says that he's heard from his sources that sixty episodes have been recovered. I can't believe that. No, wait, I can. But I won't believe that. Because that's impossible.

Yea, I remembering reading "There's more, they're holding out on us".

60? OMG, my wildest dreams didn't even dare fantasize about more than 10 episode in one shot. 10 Episodes would cause a total fangasm, IMHO.

Wow, just... wow, this will be like taking a bath in awesome sauce if there's any truth to it.

DalekJim, yea, it's pretty incredible, but, this is BleedingCool we're talking about, after holding back on it for over a year and half, it's a pretty low chance that there's isn't some kind of smoke for the fire. Sure 60 could very well be an exaggeration, but, hard to believe it's complete BS. They're not known for just blurting any old rumor with no substance, without stating there is absolutely no substance. This article sounds like the author is holding back on some of the wilder claims

The Wormhole June 13 2013 06:59 PM

Re: Rumors of a Special Surprise for the Anniversary
 
They say "maybe full Hartnell" but wouldn't that be impossible? Isn't Feast of Steven completely lost and irretrievable?

Allyn Gibson June 13 2013 07:08 PM

Re: Rumors of a Special Surprise for the Anniversary
 
Quote:

The Wormhole wrote: (Post 8242645)
They say "maybe full Hartnell" but wouldn't that be impossible? Isn't Feast of Steven completely lost and irretrievable?

As I understand it, yes. That one was made to be transmitted once. It wasn't offered for sale abroad.

StCoop June 13 2013 07:14 PM

Re: Rumors of a Special Surprise for the Anniversary
 
It all strikes me as people going "It's the 50th Anniversary so wouldn't it be wonderful if lots of missing episodes were found."

Green Lantern June 13 2013 07:14 PM

Re: Rumors of a Special Surprise for the Anniversary
 
Here's hoping Tenth Planet and Celestial Toymaker are found! Tenth Planet because c'mon, first regeneration and first cybermen, yes please! Celestial Toymaker as I saw the surviving fourth episode and loved it. Probably my favourite Hartnel episode I've seen.

Emh June 13 2013 07:33 PM

Re: Rumors of a Special Surprise for the Anniversary
 
Quote:

Allyn Gibson wrote: (Post 8242693)
Quote:

The Wormhole wrote: (Post 8242645)
They say "maybe full Hartnell" but wouldn't that be impossible? Isn't Feast of Steven completely lost and irretrievable?

As I understand it, yes. That one was made to be transmitted once. It wasn't offered for sale abroad.

Which is just as well because it was abysmal (based on what I've seen from the fan reconstruction). :p


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.