The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek - Original Series (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Bluray Prices (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=216697)

trekker670 June 13 2013 03:02 PM

Bluray Prices

Any ideas why the complete series on bluray has been consistently under $100 (~$30 per set) for the past several weeks? Are they clearing stock for a particular reason, or have they just realized that their prices were outrageous?

Ovation June 13 2013 03:33 PM

Re: Bluray Prices

Often sales are tied to film releases. Retailers figure volume sales will compensate for lower profit margins. Same is happening with Superman merchandise.

bbailey861 June 14 2013 02:20 PM

That is phenomenal pricing. In Canada, the set is still priced at $300.

HarryM June 14 2013 11:10 PM

I finally took the bait at the $88 price.

Irishman June 15 2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

trekker670 wrote: (Post 8241751)
Any ideas why the complete series on bluray has been consistently under $100 (~$30 per set) for the past several weeks? Are they clearing stock for a particular reason, or have they just realized that their prices were outrageous?

Don't know. Don't care.

Alot of us are just snapping it up and enjoying the deals!

BillJ June 15 2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

HarryM wrote: (Post 8248510)
I finally took the bait at the $88 price.

That is a good deal! I paid about $65 a season when they first came out because I have no self control where TOS is concerned. :lol:

HarryM June 15 2013 04:58 PM

I only had season 1 DVD (pre-remaster) in the hardcase, so am looking forward to all the extra stuff, and HD.

Robert Comsol June 20 2013 02:43 PM

Just a few words of advice
  • Besides TOS-R (and corresponding specials) you'll get the alternate edit of "Where No Man Has Gone Before" (last disc of Season 3) where the opening scenes will have the differences you'll probably notice most (see my avatar), Billy Blackburn's private behind-the-scenes films and more.
  • You'll also get old interviews from the previous release (e.g. Bobby Justman and Matt Jefferies)
  • 70-80% of the footage will shine in HD and especially the richness of colors (compared to DVD)
  • But keep in mind that despite selecting "Original Version" you'll often get a few seconds of TOS-R enhanced footage first before it switches to the original VFX footage (and I presume my Oppo BDP-93 doesn't qualify as "crap" ;)).
Bob

Ovation June 20 2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Robert Comsol wrote: (Post 8274532)
Just a few words of advice
  • Besides TOS-R (and corresponding specials) you'll get the alternate edit of "Where No Man Has Gone Before" (last disc of Season 3) where the opening scenes will have the differences you'll probably notice most (see my avatar), Billy Blackburn's private behind-the-scenes films and more.
  • You'll also get old interviews from the previous release (e.g. Bobby Justman and Matt Jefferies)
  • 70-80% of the footage will shine in HD and especially the richness of colors (compared to DVD)
  • But keep in mind that despite selecting "Original Version" you'll often get a few seconds of TOS-R enhanced footage first before it switches to the original VFX footage (and I presume my Oppo BDP-93 doesn't qualify as "crap" ;)).
Bob

It's an excellent machine, but the issue you describe is not necessarily related to your machine. Branched files (like those that allow original and new effects depending on your choice) are sometimes authored sloppily, which can create the issue you've noticed.

BillJ June 20 2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Robert Comsol wrote: (Post 8274532)
But keep in mind that despite selecting "Original Version" you'll often get a few seconds of TOS-R enhanced footage first before it switches to the original VFX footage (and I presume my Oppo BDP-93 doesn't qualify as "crap" ;)).

Can you point to some episodes where that happens? I've never noticed the issue on my PS3 or my cheap Magnavox player I bought several years ago.

Robert Comsol June 20 2013 03:43 PM

I instantly recall "The Ultimate Computer" but the worst offender was "Wink of an Eye" (several seconds). :(

Bob

Harvey June 20 2013 05:13 PM

I haven't noticed my TOS Blu-Rays doing that on my Sony Blu-Ray player. On an older, I believe LG model they had some issues like that, though.

BillJ June 20 2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Robert Comsol wrote: (Post 8274799)
I instantly recall "The Ultimate Computer" but the worst offender was "Wink of an Eye" (several seconds). :(

Bob

I'll have to check and see if I notice it later today.

ssosmcin June 21 2013 03:39 PM

This all depends on the brand and/or model of your player. My Magnavox does that, but my PS3 does not. If it happens, just jump back to the start of the episode again.