The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek - Original Series (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Behind the scenes fun.... (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=216577)

Warped9 June 12 2013 05:20 AM

Behind the scenes fun....

Something worth a smirk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qv16...ature=youtu.be

Harvey June 12 2013 05:45 AM

Re: Behind the scenes fun....

These are on the TOS Blu-Rays. And, yeah, they're pretty great.

Warped9 June 12 2013 05:50 AM

Quote:

Harvey wrote: (Post 8236228)

Oh, I don't have the Blu-Rays.

ZapBrannigan June 12 2013 05:51 AM

Nice! I'm glad he mentioned that "The Paradise Syndrome" obelisk was finished on all four sides. I'd always figured the side you never saw would be open with two by fours showing inside. But they built the whole thing.

As the comments section points out, note Nichelle at 3:07.

Mario de Monti June 12 2013 07:02 AM

Quote:

Warped9 wrote: (Post 8236240)
Quote:

Im glad I upgraded my DVDs to the Blu-ray sets. It definately was worth the extra money, both regarding the picture quality (for the most part) and the extras.

Noname Given June 12 2013 06:47 PM

You know, when you look at that footage, I can understand why William Shatner was unaware cast members like Nichols, Takei, et al held a grudge afterwards, as it all seems pretty lighthearted and smiles abound as they are 'blowing off steam' between takes.

I really have to wonder if they held any grudge at the time, or if these grudges developed and grew later as the popularity of the show increased in syndication, leading to personal Star Trek Convention appearances, etc. - and they need something to talk about to make those appearances more interesting over the years?

BillJ June 12 2013 06:57 PM

I don't know?

William Windom said it was the most unhappy set he ever worked on.

AtoZ June 12 2013 07:19 PM

Quote:

BillJ wrote: (Post 8238043)
I don't know?

William Windom said it was the most unhappy set he ever worked on.

You know, its strange. In the summer of 1991 I was at a Trek convention up here in Toronto and Walter Koenig was being asked various questions by the audience, many of which pertained to the yet-to-be-released ST6 and a few regarding his experience working on ST5 under direction of Shatner. I distinctly remember Koenig carefully responding to a question on whether he was able to throw a few ideas into the mix on ST5 and it was along the lines of "you don't want to step in on Bill's agenda....to have to deal with the fallout and an ego like that"

Koenig seemed very balanced and reasonable at all points. He didn't ping with me as some sort of overbearing ego. So I really don't know.

Is it possible that Blackburn was angled (and perhaps more behind the curtain) as damage control? Yet on the other hand it did seem like they were all having a good time all those decades ago....and the home movies took place over 3 years.....not during a happy afternoon one week early on.

BTW - I'm assuming that's the dog Shatner had the studio buy breakfast for each morning. Lol!

Gary7 June 13 2013 05:22 AM

Quote:

Warped9 wrote: (Post 8236159)

I'm really surprised you've only seen this just now. It has been around for a while. There are a couple of installments. Billy Blackburn is terrific and I have to say, I would have thought he'd have gotten these out much sooner, especially when thinking of all these years that have passed!

Mario de Monti June 13 2013 07:22 AM

Quote:

Noname Given wrote: (Post 8238016)
You know, when you look at that footage, I can understand why William Shatner was unaware cast members like Nichols, Takei, et al held a grudge afterwards, as it all seems pretty lighthearted and smiles abound as they are 'blowing off steam' between takes.

I really have to wonder if they held any grudge at the time, or if these grudges developed and grew later as the popularity of the show increased in syndication, leading to personal Star Trek Convention appearances, etc. - and they need something to talk about to make those appearances more interesting over the years?

It really seems to have developed after the show ended. Makes me think of the sequence at the convention in Galaxy Quest :)

Josan June 13 2013 08:09 AM

Thanks for posting this, Warped9. I don't have the blu-rays either.

And I love youtube sometimes. I somehow, between related and recommended, went from watching the Blackburn's behind the scenes bit to Ringo Starr's Caveman. So cool. Trek and Ringo within a couple clicks.

RandyS June 13 2013 11:06 PM

Quote:

Warped9 wrote: (Post 8236240)
Quote:

The TOS remastered episodes were also released on DVD and you can find these there.

I wish they'd also release TNG Remastered on DVD, since I will never, ever switch to Blue Ray.

TREK_GOD_1 June 14 2013 10:54 PM

Quote:

RandyS wrote: (Post 8244004)
I wish they'd also release TNG Remastered on DVD, since I will never, ever switch to Blue Ray.

Reason?

Just curious.

BillJ June 15 2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: (Post 8248462)
Quote:

Reason?

Just curious.

Me too.

It's a superior format to DVD.

Noname Given June 16 2013 03:09 AM

Quote:

BillJ wrote: (Post 8252653)
Quote:

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: (Post 8248462)
Quote:

Reason?

Just curious.

Me too.

It's a superior format to DVD.

Also, decent Blu-Ray players are inexpensive and will play all your existing DVDs just fine if you don't want to rebuy on Blu-Ray.