The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies XI+ (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Where are the toys? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=216433)

BriGuy June 10 2013 08:25 PM

Where are the toys?

I know Trek has never been as strong in the toy area as other franchises... freakin' Star Wars...

But... with the new movie, where are the toys?! Are there any? I haven't seen any anywhere I've looked.

Only thing I've come across online is a Hot Wheels Enterprise, and it's horrible looking.

I'd like to get a little Enterprise model/toy. There was the Playmates one from the 09 movie.

DaleC76 June 10 2013 08:33 PM

Re: Where are the toys?

The Kre-o toys seem to be the only Into Darkness tie ins. I'd love to see more too.

YJAGG June 10 2013 08:44 PM

after the reboot figures stillign on the shelves for so long I think the nails were hammered in for the 1/18th scale maybe Diamond Select will roll something out at a larger scale

The Keeper June 10 2013 09:29 PM

"Where are the toys?"

There're at home, washing their... nevermind.

I haven't seen hide nor hair of them either. Perhaps we need to face a harsh fact* here; kids don't like Star Trek toys over that other franchise's offerings.

Some neighbor kids were recently playing Light-sabers when I got the idea to perform a test. *I took out some Trek things to show them and gauge their reactions. Need I bother adding the results?

I imagine the only reason the Kre-o toys exist at all is because they share an similarity to Lego's, which we all know are kid favorites.

NCC-1701-B June 10 2013 09:30 PM

I've not even been able to find the Hotwheels enterprise :/

JarodRussell June 10 2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

The Keeper wrote: (Post 8228695)
Some neighbor kids were recently playing Light-sabers when I got the idea to perform a test. *I took out some Trek things to show them and gauge their reactions. Need I bother adding the results?

It's not about Star Trek vs Star Wars, it's about the type of toy.

They were playing with Lightsabers after all, not with Blasters. Why? Because swords are more physical, and hence more fun than laser guns where you need to imagine the fire.

An Enterprise toy model is a lot more impractical than an X-Wing or a Millenium Falcon toy. And since the Enterprise is so big, it also makes no sense to make a LEGO version out of it. Yet it works for X-Wings and TIE Fighters.

NCC-1701-B June 10 2013 09:36 PM

But! if we had a shuttlecraft playset to go with it you could play away missions and take it with you to places and I want to be a kid again :(

shatastrophic June 10 2013 10:06 PM

I was at least hoping for a battle damaged Enterprise or something...

gerbil June 10 2013 10:51 PM

Quote:

YJAGG wrote: (Post 8228479)
after the reboot figures stillign on the shelves for so long I think the nails were hammered in for the 1/18th scale maybe Diamond Select will roll something out at a larger scale

The figures sat there forever because there were three freakin' sizes of action figure. Plus they only released the Enterprise as a vehicle. Who just wants the hero ship? You need a bad guy to fight!

CaptainDave1701 June 11 2013 12:51 AM

I picked up a Hot Wheels Klingon bird from the new film as well as the Kelvin. You can find these on Amazon I think and they are nice. As for the new "E" I would suggest looking for the Playmates version. I would look around for that too as it is not bad for what it is.
From what I understand the toys from the last film did not sell very well and the idea was not moved on with the new film. There are some things that are out there and perhaps they are going for the more serious collector. The QMX line is one example. Also, Hallmark is coming out with a nice Kelvin this Christmas.

newtontomato539 June 11 2013 01:00 AM

The Kre-On line is doing very well.

There are the minifigs, Enterprise, Kelvin, D7, shuttlecraft and the Klingon Bird of Prey to play with.

More Kreo-On Bad Robot and new Prime TOS, TNG, DS9, V and Ent toys are coming out.

Qmx has models of the Bad Robot Enterprise phaser pistol, Bad Robot Enterprise, NX Enterprise, etc.

Art Asylum has Minimates and Mego style dolls

What's the problem!? :wtf:

billcosby June 11 2013 02:11 AM

Quote:

newtontomato539 wrote: (Post 8229826)
The Kre-On line is doing very well.

What's the problem!? :wtf:

The problem is this... can't find Trek Kre-O anywhere!! I had to get mine online.
Any links to back up this claim that they are doing well? I hope so because I'm happy with the offerings so far and hope they look to expand the line, not only with more JJTrek but with the prime uni as well.

RapidNadion June 11 2013 06:07 AM

Wasn't there also a license dispute of some sort which led to the merchandising rights becoming too complicated? I seem to recall reading that, but I can't source it right now.

teacake June 11 2013 08:17 AM

That we do not have an action figure of the villain is ridiculous.

CommishSleer June 11 2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

teacake wrote: (Post 8231221)
That we do not have an action figure of the villain is ridiculous.

And a shower?