The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   General Trek Discussion (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Which species from Trek do you most identify with? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=216340)

Vulcan Logician June 10 2013 03:13 AM

Which species from Trek do you most identify with?

Which alien species from Trek do you most identify with? And why?

I'll start:

Vulcans.

I am a logical person, but this is not why I identify with Vulcans. Vulcans are thoroughly misunderstood, in every instance. Their lack of emotion is interpreted through an obscure emotional prism. Often people (incorrectly) assume that Vulcans simply don't care. They care. They just remain clear-headed regardless. I am not emotional to a great degree. And this often leads to people misunderstanding me. I care, but I simply prefer to remain detached.

What species do YOU identify with the most?

Sran June 10 2013 03:17 AM

Re: Which species from Trek do you most identify with?

Quote:

Vulcan Logician wrote: (Post 8225521)

I don't know that there's a single species with whom I most identify. Like yourself, I'm an extremely logical and analytical person, so I can empathize with Vulcans; however, I also feel a strong sense of pride in my career and believe strongly in the idea of service to a cause greater than oneself, which any Romulan character would appreciate.

--Sran

The Wormhole June 10 2013 04:02 AM

At times I can be Vulcan like in my ability to put aside my emotions. I can also have the single-minded drive of a Jem'Hadar. I also have money-saving techniques which could make me the envy of any Ferengi.

Third Nacelle June 10 2013 04:10 AM

Vulcan/Risian hybrid. I'm often detached from my emotions, but I'm always a big fan of the jamaharon.

Vulcan Logician June 10 2013 04:10 AM

If you identify with an amalgamation of species (two or more) by all means express yourself.

JirinPanthosa June 10 2013 05:04 AM

Bajorans.

I tend to get really emotionally involved in politics. I'm not spiritual like they are, but I can absolutely identify with feeling powerless against governments controlling my fate for their own interests.

Belz... June 10 2013 10:13 AM

Humans.

MacLeod June 10 2013 10:37 AM

I would say I lean slightly towards Vulcan. I try and keep my emotions in check. Tend to be ruled by my head more than my heart. Though that doesn't mean I'm like that all of the time.

Lt. Cheka Wey June 10 2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Sran wrote: (Post 8225533)
Quote:

Vulcan Logician wrote: (Post 8225521)

I don't know that there's a single species with whom I most identify. Like yourself, I'm an extremely logical and analytical person, so I can empathize with Vulcans; however, I also feel a strong sense of pride in my career and believe strongly in the idea of service to a cause greater than oneself, which any Romulan character would appreciate.

--Sran

You will be a terrible person if you get a lot of promtions.

Portal June 10 2013 03:45 PM

What an interesting question. I think I most identify with Betazoids. I can be quite emotional at times, even eccentric. And I often enjoy indulging in culinary delicacies.

Sran June 10 2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Lt. Cheka Wey wrote: (Post 8226589)

Not necessarily. A promotion would offer greater responsibility and influence with which to help others; therefore, it would be only logical that I make the most of such an opportunity.

--Sran

RXTT June 10 2013 05:45 PM

Q continuum

Crazyewok June 10 2013 07:02 PM

Romulan.

Can be very controlled and logical but then flip to be very emotional and passionate.

Lt. Cheka Wey June 10 2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Sran wrote: (Post 8227330)
Quote:

Lt. Cheka Wey wrote: (Post 8226589)

Not necessarily. A promotion would offer greater responsibility and influence with which to help others; therefore, it would be only logical that I make the most of such an opportunity.

--Sran

Weren't most high ranking romulans terrible people?

Sran June 10 2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Lt. Cheka Wey wrote: (Post 8228062)
Weren't most high ranking romulans terrible people?

They're portrayed that way, but most of Star Trek is written from the perspective of humanity. As a civilization, we tend to distrust individuals and governments that relentlessly pry into our private lives. There's no telling how a Romulan would view such behavior, however. It's entirely possible that they see the Big Brother element of the Tal Shiar as merely another means of providing security (although I doubt it). In any case, I never viewed the Romulan Commanders of The Original Series in a negative light, nor did I have a problem with Admiral Jarok, who risked his life to ensure a better future for his people.

--Sran