The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Science Fiction & Fantasy (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   J.J. Abrams enters The Twilight Zone (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=215980)

HaplessCrewman June 7 2013 12:28 AM

J.J. Abrams enters The Twilight Zone

Now that J.J. Abrams has taken control of Rod Serling's last un-produced screenplay, what classic sci-fi franchise would you like J.J. to set his eyes on next?

Star Trek (done.)

Star Wars (done.)

The Twilight Zone (being adapted)

The Six Million Dollar Man (pending?)

The Outer Limits (maybe?)

The Prisoner (on the horizon?)

http://entertainment.time.com/2013/0...th-j-j-abrams/

kirk55555 June 7 2013 12:36 AM

Re: J.J. Abrams enters The Twilight Zone

I really hope he does any of the last four you listed. Anything to keep him from destroying any other sci fi series I like after he's done with the remains of Trek and Star Wars (Firefly is almost certainly safe from him, but he could probably get his hands on stuff like Stargate).

Admiral Buzzkill June 7 2013 12:41 AM

Stargate and Doctor Who, of course - although, honestly, Stargate is more than a little bit beneath him.

HaplessCrewman June 7 2013 12:56 AM

I think we are on the cusp of the J.J. decade.

Do you think someone will re-boot Lost at some point in the future? In 2025 maybe?

NCC-1701-B June 7 2013 12:59 AM

I'd be happy if he stays away from everything, and works on some original ideas.

kirk55555 June 7 2013 01:05 AM

Quote:

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: (Post 8213233)
Stargate and Doctor Who, of course - although, honestly, Stargate is more than a little bit beneath him.

:lol:

Honestly, I hope he believes that. He's never done anything as good as stargate SG1 was, but I want him to pick projects completely based off him being a gigantic snob. I want him to go work with the show that has the screaming garbage cans and time traveling telephone boths. Leave Stargate and other american stuff alone.

To be clear, I like the Doctor Who I've watched (some of the 9th Doctor and the first few serials with the 4th) but I'd much rather have him work on a franchise I can't regularly watch then one I watched a lot of and would take up time on normal tV. Anything he can do that I wouldn't be able to regularly see distracts him from stuff he could be doing with things I like that are more avaliable to me. Simply, the foreign tV show that only airs on premium channels in the US is a better place for him than a show on normal cable TV that would take up time from something I like.

Quote:

NCC-1701-B wrote: (Post 8213356)
I'd be happy if he stays away from everything, and works on some original ideas.

This is the best idea I've heard for what to do with abrams. Let him go off and do his own thing, and leave good stuff alone.

Mr. Laser Beam June 7 2013 01:10 AM

I thought Bryan Singer was handling the newest TZ remake? :confused:

HaplessCrewman June 7 2013 01:14 AM

Here is a list of properties I would like J.J. to tackle.

JamesBond. District9. Darkroom. TheSmurfs. TheMuppets. AbsolutelyFabulous. 300. TheOffice. KitchenNightmares. AmericanIdol. Quark. GeminiMan. Ark II. LandoftheGiants.

CorporalClegg June 7 2013 01:18 AM

I love it!

Super 8 was kind of TZish. And I love that film.

Quote:

kirk55555 wrote: (Post 8213389)
Honestly, I hope he believes that. He's never done anything as good as stargate SG1 was,

Do you honestly believe that, or are you just trying to troll?

Quote:

Leave Stargate and other american stuff alone.
Nevermind.

Also... How is a Canada-based series based on a film by a German director "American"?

Out Of My Vulcan Mind June 7 2013 01:21 AM

Quote:

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: (Post 8213416)
I thought Bryan Singer was handling the newest TZ remake? :confused:

Abrams isn't involved with The Twilight Zone. He's producing The Stops Along the Way, the last screenplay Rod Serling wrote, as a prospective TV miniseries.

kirk55555 June 7 2013 01:29 AM

Quote:

CorporalClegg wrote: (Post 8213443)
I love it!

Super 8 was kind of TZish. And I love that film.

Quote:

kirk55555 wrote: (Post 8213389)
Honestly, I hope he believes that. He's never done anything as good as stargate SG1 was,

Do you honestly believe that, or are you just trying to troll?

Quote:

Leave Stargate and other american stuff alone.
Nevermind.

Also... How is a Canada-based series based on a film by a German director "American"?

I meant a TV show thats pretty much an american property. I'm fairly certain Stargate SG-1 doesn't count as a canadian TV show. Basically, I meant he should stay away from any good sci fi thats popular in america and is basically an american show, which Stargate (which is owned by an american company and shown/made by american based tV stations) is an example of. Its not about anything being american so much as sci fi that is popular in american and made by american tv companies/stations.

As for Abrams, I honestly believe he's never been as good as SG-1. Stargate had great, memorable characters, both heroes and villains (there were also some bad ones on both sides, but thats to be expected) and a lot of good stories. I personally think Abrams has never done anything good, and definately nothing like Stargate quality.

teacake June 7 2013 01:36 AM

I am awaiting the day lens flare plays across this beautiful face..

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8372/8...c28ce3e2_z.jpg

kirk55555 June 7 2013 01:40 AM

JJ will never touch Firefly. Thats Whedon's thing, and unlike Buffy I'm 99% sure a company can't just make a movie or whatever without his permission. Fillion might get into an abrams thing, but any Firefly will be all Joss.

CorporalClegg June 7 2013 01:50 AM

If Abrams called Whedon tomorrow and asked if he could do a Firefly sequel, Whedon's response would probably be something like this:

"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal! Mind if I direct?"

Admiral Buzzkill June 7 2013 01:55 AM

Yeah, Abrams should reboot Firefly.

He and Whedon would actually get on really well.