The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies XI+ (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   What's the deal with Spock being betrothed? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=215956)

T'Ryl June 6 2013 09:53 PM

What's the deal with Spock being betrothed?

Forgive me if this was discussed before.

Are we supposed to pretend that never happened even though the only one presumably effected by Nero's presence right off the bat was James T. Kirk, who last his father and a positive male role model. I mean in TOS we are told that Spock & T'Pring were bonded at the age of 7. So I would have to assume at least that much would still happen.

I hope that the betrothal bond was severed by T'Pring death on Vulcan. But still, to publicly kiss Uhura, it would have to mean, to me that they had given prior signs of public displays of affection. That thought leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, because Spock is supposed to be all logical. Other thoughts?

Gov Kodos June 6 2013 09:56 PM

Re: What the deal with the Spock being betroved

Vulcans could be polygamous.

Relayer1 June 6 2013 09:56 PM

Spock may still be betrothed - we don't know that T'Pring died in the destruction of Vulcan (although it is statistically likely).

RoJoHen June 6 2013 09:57 PM

Or this current Spock is young and doesn't really care about his betrothal to T'Pring.

I mean, in Enterprise, T'Pol was betrothed to some random Vulcan but was still in a relationship with Trip.

Gov Kodos June 6 2013 09:59 PM

Or Pon Farr bonding is a marriage in name only, a way of dealing with biology but is not a permanent marriage. The bond mates meet every seven years, but are otherwise free of each other to marry whom they choose.

RoJoHen June 6 2013 10:00 PM

Or maybe Spock invoked the rite of ritual combat, and Uhura lirpa'd T'Pring's ass right into the ground.

T'Ryl June 6 2013 10:13 PM

Quote:

RoJoHen wrote: (Post 8212285)
Or maybe Spock invoked the rite of ritual combat, and Uhura lirpa'd T'Pring's ass right into the ground.

Ha ha, that I would like to see even though I am not a fan of this pairing. I liked T'Pring even less.

GMDreia June 6 2013 10:18 PM

Spock had girlfriends prior to "Amok Time" (there is a hint of something having happened with Leila Kalomi earlier in his life, before they actually got it on in "This Side of Paradise"). I really don't see the big deal.

USSPhilippi June 6 2013 10:22 PM

RoJoHen June 6 2013 10:22 PM

That might be a fun subplot for the next movie, and another fun way to bring Leonard Nimoy back.

Young Spock goes through Pon Farr.

USSPhilippi June 6 2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

RoJoHen wrote: (Post 8212405)
That might be a fun subplot for the next movie, and another fun way to bring Leonard Nimoy back.

Again, building off my previous post

Nightowl1701 June 6 2013 11:57 PM

KittyDuran June 7 2013 12:45 AM

Quote:

USSPhilippi wrote: (Post 8212441)
Quote:

RoJoHen wrote: (Post 8212405)

Again, building off my previous post

So Pon Farr is just plain Vulcan biology? I thought the planet had a bigger role in Pon Farr... or maybe with the planet gone it might not be so strong or has changed (longer time between mating, starts at a later age, starts at a younger age, etc.)

teacake June 7 2013 12:52 AM

T'Pring is (unfortunately) very likely dead. And that's the end of her as far as this universe goes I suspect.

Yeoman Basha June 7 2013 12:56 AM

Yeah, that really bothered me, too. It's one of many reasons I didn't care for S/U.

In retrospect, it would have made much more sense to me if their romance had officially begun AFTER the destruction of Vulcan. Before that happens, we could see that Uhura loves Spock and is pursing him, but he gently refuses her because he is engaged to T'Pring, and also because it's just not in his character to openly pursue a romance with a co-worker. But then Vulcan blows up, T'Pring is dead, and that experience shakes Spock to his core so that now he's willing to get involved with Uhura. If the 2009 film had gone like that, I would have had a much easier time accepting the relationship.