The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies XI+ (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   The most destructive ships in Star Trek history, and it was Vulcan? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=215953)

bbjeg June 6 2013 09:49 PM

The most destructive ships in Star Trek history, and it was Vulcan?

What's the Vulcans doing with Red Matter anyway?

BillJ June 6 2013 10:06 PM

Re: The most destructive ships in Star Trek history, and it was Vulcan

Quote:

bbjeg wrote: (Post 8212219)

Just because something can be used as a weapon doesn't mean that was its original intent.

T'Ryl June 6 2013 10:09 PM

Red Matter was not originally designed to be used as a weapon, but a way to save a dying star's planets. If given at the dosage and time, it would have caused a blackhole, but not necessarily sucked Romulus & Remus in as well. Yes, the Romulans still would have lost their homeworld due to their sun turning into a blackhole. But they would have had the chance to escape. At least that is how it should have worked theoretically.

BillJ June 6 2013 10:10 PM

Quote:

T'Ryl wrote: (Post 8212318)
Red Matter was not originally designed to be used as a weapon, but a way to save a dying star's planets. If given at the dosage and time, it would have caused a blackhole, but not necessarily sucked Romulus & Remus in as well. Yes, the Romulans still would have lost their homeworld due to their sun turning into a blackhole. But they would have had the chance to escape. At least that is how it should have worked theoretically.

I'm pretty sure Hobus wasn't the home star of Romulus and Remus.

bbjeg June 6 2013 10:13 PM

The atomic bomb was originally theorized as a source of energy. I guess red matter could be in the same boat.

T'Ryl June 6 2013 10:17 PM

Quote:

BillJ wrote: (Post 8212342)
Quote:

T'Ryl wrote: (Post 8212318)

I'm pretty sure Hobus wasn't the home star of Romulus and Remus.

I never said Hobus. But no matter, he arrived to late to save the day, thus Nero's planet was lost.

Quote:

Although his plan succeeded, and the supernova was eliminated, Spock was too late to save Romulus, which was destroyed. - Red Matter Memory Alpha

King Daniel Into Darkness June 6 2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

In the novel DTI: Watching the Clock, Red Matter was being investigated by the Vulcans 2382 as a new and more efficient means of producing artificial gravity.

bbjeg June 6 2013 10:23 PM

Also if Spock and those Romulans were sent back in time, doesn't that mean there's an alternate reality were there is a blackhole shooting out an exploding star? I don't think Kirk's parents made it out of that one.

AllStarEntprise June 7 2013 12:00 AM

Quote:

bbjeg wrote: (Post 8212414)
Also if Spock and those Romulans were sent back in time, doesn't that mean there's an alternate reality were there is a blackhole shooting out an exploding star? I don't think Kirk's parents made it out of that one.

No, the supernova can be seen in the background as the Narada attacks the Kelvin and as the escape shuttles flee the battle.

Kolrad June 7 2013 12:59 AM

It has always seemed strange to me that Spock had so much red matter on his ship. When Nero destroys Vulcan, he uses just a tiny drop that looks like about .01% of the total amount.

Originally, I thought that was because Spock needed enough to collapse a star, while Nero was just using it to collapse planets. But when we see the flashback from Spock's mind meld, it shows that he only used a tiny drop too.

It doesn't seem wise to carry around that much of such an incredibly dangerous material.

Pavonis June 7 2013 03:11 AM

It could be that Red Matter is more stable in large amounts, and small drops are inherently unstable. If that were the case, then carrying huge amounts of it would be safer than carrying only small amounts for each mission.

YellowSubmarine June 8 2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Pavonis wrote: (Post 8213893)
It could be that Red Matter is more stable in large amounts, and small drops are inherently unstable.

Like a strangelet? Fascinating.

The Wormhole June 8 2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Kolrad wrote: (Post 8213362)
It has always seemed strange to me that Spock had so much red matter on his ship. When Nero destroys Vulcan, he uses just a tiny drop that looks like about .01% of the total amount.

Originally, I thought that was because Spock needed enough to collapse a star, while Nero was just using it to collapse planets. But when we see the flashback from Spock's mind meld, it shows that he only used a tiny drop too.

It doesn't seem wise to carry around that much of such an incredibly dangerous material.

Red Matter is so incredibly dangerous that Vulcans don't want it anywhere near their homeworld. Therefore, Spock has do carry the entire quantity with him.

DonIago June 8 2013 03:17 PM

Or perhaps the means of manufacturing it didn't allow for producing less than he had, and was volatile enough that they wanted to create it within the ship rather than on a planet where it might do more damage if containment failed or such.

Nerys Myk June 8 2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Logical science stuff.