The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies XI+ (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Star Trek Into Darkness & The Bechdel Test (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=215875)

Shaka Zulu June 6 2013 04:29 AM

Star Trek Into Darkness & The Bechdel Test

For those not familiar with this test developed by cartoonist Allison Bechdel, here's an explanation:

Quote:

1. It has to have at least two [named] women in it
2. Who talk to each other
3. About something besides a man
Star Trek Into Darkness only passed 1 of the 3 tests, and was panned by many of the ladies who use the site that the test is featured at:

Quote:

Reicheru said:
Two named female characters: Uhura and Dr. Marcus. They are very occassionally on screen together but do not interact in any way. No women share any dialogue or interaction at any point in the film.
Message posted on 2013-05-09 22:13:53

AJ said:
Very disappointing! They also add a very contrived, pointless and, frankly, just damn awkward getting-the-new-female-character-into-her-underwear scene.. I assume for the benefit of the trailer.
Message posted on 2013-05-10 01:12:51

rasputintx said:
Not gonna lie - I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. But *wow* does it ever fail this test! The only time you have two female characters talk to each other is when the naked twin alien women Kirk is in bed with ask each other if he's really going to leave them to answer his phone. Total fail!
Star Trek Into DarknessBechdel test

throwback June 6 2013 04:38 AM

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness & The Bechdel Test

Nurse Christine Chapel was mentioned in a blink-and-you-will-miss-it reference.

Tosk June 6 2013 04:51 AM

Quote:

throwback wrote: (Post 8209243)
Nurse Christine Chapel was mentioned in a blink-and-you-will-miss-it reference.

Which means zip in regards to the OP. How would a character that is not in the film have a conversation?

teacake June 6 2013 04:54 AM

She was mentioned as a past Kirk hookup.

Tosk June 6 2013 05:01 AM

My apologies...I'm still not seeing the point in regards to the original post.

teacake June 6 2013 05:03 AM

There is no point, Chapel has nothing to do with the Bechdel test. I'm just adding that while not on screen she is one woman that Carol Marcus talks about but the point of her is that she is a past hookup of Kirk's.

Spock/Uhura Fan June 6 2013 05:11 AM

Maybe Uhura and Marcus get to work together in the next film. It'd be great if they got to "save the day" in some real way in addition to the boys.

I know, I know, I dare to hope...

teacake June 6 2013 05:20 AM

I want a hot woman villain. If she turns out to be the Romulan Commander from The Enterprise Incident so much the better.

Which man will she seduce away from duty this time? Shall we reverse engineer it again and make it Kirk?

Spock/Uhura Fan June 6 2013 05:30 AM

Quote:

teacake wrote: (Post 8209381)
I want a hot woman villain. If she turns out to be the Romulan Commander from The Enterprise Incident so much the better.

Which man will she seduce away from duty this time? Shall we reverse engineer it again and make it Kirk?

Hmm, a Romulan evil seductress. That doesn't sound too bad.

Admiral Buzzkill June 6 2013 05:39 AM

The Bechdel thing was a cute way to make a point. It's past its sell-by.

gabby_j June 6 2013 05:53 AM

Hopefully they will interact in the next one. Of the two women, I feel like they kind of gave the shaft to Carol. I know a lot of people try to spin it like she did something epic in the story or that she played an integral role, but she didn't do much to stand out, besides take her clothes off. Even the media is only focusing on that, not how smart she is. Even when she saved Bones, it wasn't that amazing. Everyone was saving someone at some point.

teacake June 6 2013 05:57 AM

She was smart and sharp on that torpedo opening planet and Bones was a crabby old coot.

gabby_j June 6 2013 06:05 AM

Ok. But how was that integral to the story?

teacake June 6 2013 06:10 AM

The only people integral to the story are Kirk and Spock. Everything else is just fluffy stuff window dressing for Kirk and Spock. That includes Bone's bitching about things, Uhura kissing Spock, Marcus undoing torpedoes, Scotty faffing about..

It's Kirk and Spock vs their Enemy. And probably will be next movie.

Devon June 6 2013 06:10 AM

Quote:

1. It has to have at least two [named] women in it
2. Who talk to each other
3. About something besides a man
The Wrath of Khan...

Saavik & Uhura.

2. Fails, so automatically so does 3.