The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Doctor Who (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Which Classical Who Era Would You Recommend? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=215533)

777 June 3 2013 01:13 AM

Which Classical Who Era Would You Recommend?
 
Hi there

I am a recent viewer of Who, having caught up over the last year with all the NuWho stories.

I would like to have a go at the Classic Who eras, but am not sure which series to start with.

My favourite NuWho Doctor is David Tennant, closely followed by Chris Eccleston. I don't really like Matt Smith's portrayal of the Doctor however.

Based on my above taste, which classic Who era would you recommend I start with, and is there any series I should avoid at first?

sidious618 June 3 2013 01:26 AM

Re: Which Classical Who Era Would You Recommend?
 
Peter Davison's era is the easiest to slide into, I think, and it's a nice mix of old Who and new Who.

Count Zero June 3 2013 01:40 AM

Re: Which Classical Who Era Would You Recommend?
 
Well, the era of the Third Doctor resembles the new show in that it is set on Earth in then present day (with a twist, though). It also features UNIT heavily.

I think that David Tennant's take on the Doctor drew a lot from Tom Baker's depiction so that era might also be a good start.

That's how far I've watched the old show so far.

diankra June 3 2013 01:51 AM

Re: Which Classical Who Era Would You Recommend?
 
I'd say start at the beginning of Tom Baker: it all exists in colour and as originally made, so there's no 'picture quality' issues that aren't also there for later stuff, and while his first story isn't one of the greats, you'll quickly hit some of the very best, as his first three seasons (12-14) are widely regarded as one of the most solidly decent runs in the series's history (when DWM did a poll of the first 200 stories back in 2009, 10 of the top 50 stories came from the first 18 Tom Baker stories*).

publiusr June 3 2013 06:32 PM

Re: Which Classical Who Era Would You Recommend?
 
I'd also say the Tom Baker years--and there are a lot of them.
With the fifth Doctor you at least had a viewsceen for the Tardis.

Green Lantern June 3 2013 07:15 PM

Re: Which Classical Who Era Would You Recommend?
 
The 80s is my personal favourite, although it depends on taste. I can't stand a lot of 70s Doctor Who, however it is considered the golden age of the show. I'd say late Baker as from the 80s, the continuity all starts to get "closer". The E-space trilogy is where it really starts of although it is pretty bad. Personally, I'd say Go from the Keeper of Traken (Bakers penultimate story) and go on from there. Although what I'd do first is see "the best" of each doctors era (one story each), view them, choose your favourite/s, and then choose which era to follow.

EliyahuQeoni June 3 2013 08:09 PM

Re: Which Classical Who Era Would You Recommend?
 
Quote:

Green Lantern wrote: (Post 8197003)
The 80s is my personal favourite, although it depends on taste. I can't stand a lot of 70s Doctor Who, however it is considered the golden age of the show. I'd say late Baker as from the 80s, the continuity all starts to get "closer". The E-space trilogy is where it really starts of although it is pretty bad. Personally, I'd say Go from the Keeper of Traken (Bakers penultimate story) and go on from there. Although what I'd do first is see "the best" of each doctors era (one story each), view them, choose your favourite/s, and then choose which era to follow.

I would advise the opposite. If you want to sample the Tom Baker era, I would not start with his last season which, while still good, is arguably weaker than the rest of his run. I would start right from the start of his run, keeping in mind that Robot--like many Doctors' first story--is not his strongest.

As for the rest of the 80s era:
  • Peter Davison's era is pretty solid all the way through.
  • Colin Baker's era is not the best. I like Colin's performances, but the stories are not the best.
  • Sylvester McCoy - skip the first season.

Venardhi June 3 2013 08:46 PM

Re: Which Classical Who Era Would You Recommend?
 
Watch an assortment and judge for yourself. The 'classic' collection on Netflix helped a lot with sorting out which Doctors/eras I liked best so I could focus my watching on them.

beamMe June 3 2013 08:58 PM

Re: Which Classical Who Era Would You Recommend?
 
As you've seen, it really doesn't matter where you start. :)

I wouldn't recommend any of the old stories or eras. With exceptions they are pretty hard to watch these days. They are phooooootooooooooon-toooorpeeeeeedooooooooooooo-slow even if not watched back to back.

Venardhi June 3 2013 09:23 PM

Re: Which Classical Who Era Would You Recommend?
 
I usually put them on while Im working and just listen for the most part, glance over every once in a while to see if anything neat is on screen. There usually isn't. ;)

Green Lantern June 3 2013 10:45 PM

Re: Which Classical Who Era Would You Recommend?
 
Quote:

EliyahuQeoni wrote: (Post 8197300)
Quote:

Green Lantern wrote: (Post 8197003)
The 80s is my personal favourite, although it depends on taste. I can't stand a lot of 70s Doctor Who, however it is considered the golden age of the show. I'd say late Baker as from the 80s, the continuity all starts to get "closer". The E-space trilogy is where it really starts of although it is pretty bad. Personally, I'd say Go from the Keeper of Traken (Bakers penultimate story) and go on from there. Although what I'd do first is see "the best" of each doctors era (one story each), view them, choose your favourite/s, and then choose which era to follow.

I would advise the opposite. If you want to sample the Tom Baker era, I would not start with his last season which, while still good, is arguably weaker than the rest of his run. I would start right from the start of his run, keeping in mind that Robot--like many Doctors' first story--is not his strongest.

As for the rest of the 80s era:
  • Peter Davison's era is pretty solid all the way through.
  • Colin Baker's era is not the best. I like Colin's performances, but the stories are not the best.
  • Sylvester McCoy - skip the first season.

Never really cared for Bakers early stuff. But that's just me.
[LIST][*]Yeah, Davison has had some awesome stories.[*]Oh no, C. Baker has had some tremendous stories. Yes he's had some stinkers such as Twin Dilemma, Attack of the Cybermen, or Mark of the Rani, but has had some some solid stories too. Vengeance on Varos, The Two Doctors, Revelation of the Daleks, and even Trial of a Timelord had some great momments. [*]Ok, have to agree.

beamMe June 3 2013 11:02 PM

Re: Which Classical Who Era Would You Recommend?
 
Quote:

Venardhi wrote: (Post 8197672)
I usually put them on while Im working and just listen for the most part, glance over every once in a while to see if anything neat is on screen. There usually isn't. ;)

I swear you could fall asleep in, for example, that one story where the third Doctor and the still intelligent (before they dumbed her down) Dr. Shaw are in some underground nuclear government facility (could be the Silurian story?) tinkering away in some chemistry lab, wake up three, four episodes later and there they are still in that damned lab.

777 June 3 2013 11:03 PM

Re: Which Classical Who Era Would You Recommend?
 
Thanks for your suggestions everyone!

Rarewolf June 4 2013 12:08 AM

Re: Which Classical Who Era Would You Recommend?
 
I'd start at the very beginning.

My original intention 22 1/2 years ago was one tape per Doctor. That fell apart very quickly.

The Wormhole June 4 2013 12:12 AM

Re: Which Classical Who Era Would You Recommend?
 
IMO, the Pertwee years are the best of the classic era. They did some really cool shit with Pertwee.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.