The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek - Original Series (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   The TOS Recreation Room(s) Sets (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=215527)

GSchnitzer June 3 2013 12:48 AM

The TOS Recreation Room(s) Sets

Much like Will Smith ("Feek61") has done with Auxiliary Control (hi, Will!),I put together a little write up about the TOS "Recreation Room"--both the first and second season appearances of the redressed Briefing Room and the two appearances of the new third season Recreation Room set.

There's not much to say about the sets, actually, but folks are welcome to read a bit more.

http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/?p=2825

Feedback is always welcome.

Robert Comsol June 3 2013 10:09 AM

Re: The TOS Recreation Room(s) Sets

:techman: :drool: :techman:

Great summary, beautifully illustrated.

Bob

Irishman June 3 2013 01:38 PM

Really well-done article.

Bravo! As I read through it, I appreciated the concept art for the set you showed us. Little gems like that raise this article above many other fan attempts.

alchemist June 3 2013 01:59 PM

I think it's excellent! Wonderful attention to detail.

:techman:

GSchnitzer June 3 2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

alchemist wrote: (Post 8195734)
I think it's excellent! Wonderful attention to detail.

:techman:

Thanks! So much of the content was actually yours; I just regurgitated it, or, at best, put a slightly different spin on it.

Thank you for allowing me to grab those unused "Elaan of Troyius" shots. The whole article would have been just about pointless without them.

feek61 June 3 2013 04:45 PM

Great job Greg. As I'm sure you can imagine I really enjoyed the read (it's right up my ally) :)

plynch June 4 2013 03:21 AM

Quote:

feek61 wrote: (Post 8196304)
. . . (it's right up my ally) :)

It sounds painful to be your friend.

sbk1234 June 4 2013 04:33 AM

Well done. After nearly 50 years, it's nice to still be able to learn something new about Star Trek.

Mr_Homn June 4 2013 09:51 AM

can't wait to read this!

thanks

Praetor Baldric June 7 2013 02:27 AM

Truly well-done!:techman:

plynch June 7 2013 02:29 AM

That first rec room is SO stark I would rather not go there. Looks like the godforsaken break room of the supermarket I worked at in 1986. Bleak.

GSchnitzer June 7 2013 03:30 AM

Quote:

plynch wrote: (Post 8213767)
That first rec room is SO stark I would rather not go there. Looks like the godforsaken break room of the supermarket I worked at in 1986. Bleak.

Well, when screens were very small and black and white and there was lots of over-the-air transmission snow, making things fairly stark is understandable and appropriate, since details were going to get lost anyway. When transmission gets better and brighter and clearer and more colorful on larger screens, greater detail males more sense. And even more so in a large, digital, wide-screen, flat screen era

But yes, it was stark--just appropriately so.

Warped9 June 8 2013 12:02 AM

I like to think the ship had a number of recreation rooms or more accurately crew lounges as well as a main recreation room as seen in third season. Similar it's easy to believe the ship has more than one six-man transporter since we've seen the set dressed differently a number of times.

GSchnitzer June 8 2013 12:18 AM

Quote:

Warped9 wrote: (Post 8217466)
I like to think the ship had a number of recreation rooms or more accurately crew lounges as well as a main recreation room as seen in third season. Similar it's easy to believe the ship has more than one six-man transporter since we've seen the set dressed differently a number of times.

Yes, although I don't think the ship has, like, 30 different transporter rooms, and 5 different engineering rooms, three different briefing rooms, two different auxillary contol rooms, two different anti-grav/pressure chambers, and four different sickbays. It sounds like it migh become a ship that only has enough room for all the different permutations of every set we saw and no space left for all the stuff we didn't see.

I don't know if "crew lounge" actually is more accurate a term. I've never seen a script (or characters) call them that--only "Recreation Room."

Robert Comsol June 11 2013 05:06 PM

Quote:

GSchnitzer wrote: (Post 8217532)
I don't know if "crew lounge" actually is more accurate a term. I've never seen a script (or characters) call them that--only "Recreation Room."

Going by onscreen dialogue we do have the "Briefing Lounge" rec room in WNM (was the Briefing Lounge converted into a rec room but kept its original name?), a "Crewmen Lounge" Lokai and Bele passed between Deck 3 and Deck 5 in LB and a "Crew Lounge" where Kang and Klingon company waited for something to happen in DD.

Bob