The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek - Original Series (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Apollo makes a comeback! (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=215353)

Gary7 June 1 2013 07:00 AM

Apollo makes a comeback!
 
Well, sort of... the actor (Michael Forrest) who originally played Apollo in "Who Mourns for Adonais" reprises his role once again with a "Star Trek Continues" fan production episode. Some of you already know about it, but since the general thread about the episode "Pilgrim of Eternity" was moved to the Fan Productions section, I figured I'd post about it here.

His performance is quite different than the original episode, partly because he's so much older, but also because the character has changed. I think he did a great job considering the venue.

Boo! Did I Scare Ya? June 1 2013 01:00 PM

Re: Apollo makes a comeback!
 
I did not know that, so thanks for posting this. IMO, Forrest's performance as Apollo was one of the best of TOS so, while I am not expecting this to be on par with that, I am definitely going to take the time to check this out.

Warped9 June 1 2013 01:39 PM

Re: Apollo makes a comeback!
 
You might be pleasantly surprised. A lot of folks have been quite impressed by this fan production.

Kamdan June 1 2013 03:32 PM

Re: Apollo makes a comeback!
 
The guy who plays Kirk looks like Jack Lord.

E-DUB June 1 2013 03:45 PM

Re: Apollo makes a comeback!
 
This has got to be a record for time gap between portrayals of the same character by the same actor.

GSchnitzer June 1 2013 04:01 PM

Re: Apollo makes a comeback!
 
Quote:

E-DUB wrote: (Post 8185531)
This has got to be a record for time gap between portrayals of the same character by the same actor.

...a record probably previously held by William Windom, who reprised his role of Commodore Matt Decker after about 40 years in "In Harm's Way."

TheSubCommander June 1 2013 04:15 PM

Re: Apollo makes a comeback!
 
Quote:

Kamdan wrote: (Post 8185492)
The guy who plays Kirk looks like Jack Lord.


Actually, I think he channels Shatner pretty well, and from certain angles, he looks a lot like him.

I thought it was unfortunate Chris Doohan wasn't cast as Scotty in the reboot, and glad to see him as Scotty here. His Scotty is far superior to that of Simon Pegg, IMHO

The Enterprise sets are so dead on, it looks exactly like TOS. Would anyone know if this production happens to be using the same sets as that Exeter show?

Warped9 June 1 2013 04:28 PM

Re: Apollo makes a comeback!
 
The sets aren't truly exact (nor would I expect them to be), but the few differences I've seen (notably on the bridge) are very minor.

TheSubCommander June 1 2013 05:12 PM

Re: Apollo makes a comeback!
 
Well, regardless, I thought they were dead on. And given that ships in Star Trek, or in real life, often go through a constant stage of upgrades, any minor differences could be forgiven when you think of it that way.

BTW Michael Forrest was brilliant in that episode. I forgot to mention that in my previous post. Scotty's "experiment" in the beginning was a nice touch, too.

feek61 June 1 2013 06:23 PM

Re: Apollo makes a comeback!
 
[QUOTE=TheSubCommander;8185615]
Quote:

Kamdan wrote: (Post 8185492)

Would anyone know if this production happens to be using the same sets as that Exeter show?

No, these are the sets from the Farragut studio.

publiusr June 1 2013 06:54 PM

Re: Apollo makes a comeback!
 
Now to get Brian Blessed as Zeus...

Gary7 June 1 2013 09:20 PM

Re: Apollo makes a comeback!
 
Quote:

TheSubCommander wrote: (Post 8185615)
Actually, I think he channels Shatner pretty well, and from certain angles, he looks a lot like him.

He does indeed. What's remarkable is that you'll see certain gestures, facial expressions and movements that reflect some of Shatner's incarnation of Kirk, but not to the point of exactly cloning... which gives his portrayal originality while still capturing the essence of how we see Kirk. It's brilliant. There's also the luck of his facial structure, which lends itself well, not to mention his mid section having just the right "stoutness". Although Vic is also clearly more muscular than Shatner was back in TOS days, evident by simply looking at his upper body.

Quote:

I thought it was unfortunate Chris Doohan wasn't cast as Scotty in the reboot, and glad to see him as Scotty here. His Scotty is far superior to that of Simon Pegg, IMHO
I'd thought about that as well, but a potential problem is that Chris Doohan may not be young enough. Although in TOS it sure looked like Scotty was a couple of years older than Shatner, Chris Doohan would look a good decade or more older than Chris Pine.

plynch June 1 2013 09:43 PM

Re: Apollo makes a comeback!
 
I posted in the other thread and I'll post here: this made my whole week! It is great. Aside from the terrific production values, its story is VERY humane and Trek-ish!

ToddPence June 2 2013 01:49 AM

Re: Apollo makes a comeback!
 
Billy Mumy also reprised his role as Anthony Fremont after forty years.

plynch June 2 2013 03:10 AM

Re: Apollo makes a comeback!
 
Quote:

Gary7 wrote: (Post 8186857)
Quote:

TheSubCommander wrote: (Post 8185615)
Actually, I think he channels Shatner pretty well, and from certain angles, he looks a lot like him.

He does indeed. What's remarkable is that you'll see certain gestures, facial expressions and movements that reflect some of Shatner's incarnation of Kirk, but not to the point of exactly cloning... which gives his portrayal originality while still capturing the essence of how we see Kirk. It's brilliant. There's also the luck of his facial structure, which lends itself well, not to mention his mid section having just the right "stoutness". Although Vic is also clearly more muscular than Shatner was back in TOS days, evident by simply looking at his upper body.

Quote:

I thought it was unfortunate Chris Doohan wasn't cast as Scotty in the reboot, and glad to see him as Scotty here. His Scotty is far superior to that of Simon Pegg, IMHO
I'd thought about that as well, but a potential problem is that Chris Doohan may not be young enough. Although in TOS it sure looked like Scotty was a couple of years older than Shatner, Chris Doohan would look a good decade or more older than Chris Pine.

Funny, I always thought Scotty and Bones were both mid-forties to Kirk's 34-ish and most Lt.s' twenties.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.