The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   General Trek Discussion (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Series music, what's your fave? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=215206)

Vulcan Logician May 31 2013 06:15 AM

Series music, what's your fave?

List your favorite music in the opening credits from "worst" to best. Here's mine:

5. Enterprise (What were they thinking?)
4. DS9
3. TNG
2. TOS
1. Voyager

teacake May 31 2013 06:20 AM

Re: Series music, what's your fave?

I have to go with DS9 as my fave.

Harvey May 31 2013 06:28 AM

5. Enterprise (The season 3-4 version is the worst)
4. Star Trek: The Next Generation
3. Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (I prefer the slower, season 1-3 version)
2. Star Trek
1. Star Trek: Voyager (If only the show lived up to Goldsmith's theme)

LOKAI of CHERON May 31 2013 06:32 AM

5. Enterprise
4. Deep Space Nine
3. The Original Series
2. Voyager
1. The Next Generation

Third Nacelle May 31 2013 07:09 AM

5. Enterprise (awful, horrendous, nauseating music, but I like the visual montage)
4. The Next Generation (I like it, but it's too over the top to serve as theme music for a series)
3. The Original Series
1. Tie between Voyager and Deep Space Nine. Beautiful music.

Belz... May 31 2013 02:49 PM

1. DS9
2. TNG
3. TOS
4. ENT (I didn't like that it was a song in the beginning, but now I like it a lot)
5. VOY

But I like all of these themes, and those of the movies.

anh165 May 31 2013 03:54 PM

1) TOS easily
2) TNG is ok if a bit twee
3-4) DS9, VOY awful awful sickly progression of melody, almost a parody of classic orchestral music. The classical equivalent of Aerosmith - I dont want to miss a thing.
5) Too terrible to mention.

LOKAI of CHERON May 31 2013 07:53 PM

If we were to extend this discussion to cover incidental music, I would have to say TOS wins quite easily, followed by TNG in a very worthy second place for seasons 1-3 (and some of 4). After that unfortunately, the dreaded Trek Muzak virus sets in for subsequent incarnations - with much of the output in hitherto unimaginably bland territory. Far from "not calling attention to itself", as I believe Rick Berman once proclaimed - the sheer, unadulterated vapid insipidity of it would always have the polar opposite effect on me!

As for the movies, the first ten have some amazing scores - ranging from, minimally, extremely good, to towering, truly inspired masterworks (take a bow TMP). I do like Giacchino's music a lot as well, but for me, they're not quite on a par with their predecessors.

CaptPapa May 31 2013 08:15 PM

I thought that Voyager's theme was great.

The Original Series theme is . . . classic.

I found TNG's theme to be pretenious.

DS9 . . . meh.

I heard the theme for Ent once, and my impression was :barf:

eskyliz May 31 2013 09:39 PM

5.) Seeing as how I've never seen Enterprise I'm putting that one last.

4.) DS9 (Seasons 4-7 only. I like 1-3 a lot.)

3.) TNG (except it could be switched with 2nd place depending on my mood I guess :p )

2.) TOS (I like TNG about equally the same but maybe just a little bit less. I'm very iffy on these two but I still love them both.)

1.) VOY (all seasons) and DS9 (seasons 1-3 or was it 1-4) The calmer version of DS9 was much better and I was kind of disappointed when the (for lack of a better word) bigger version came out. It was okay I guess but not as great.

Dale Sams May 31 2013 10:04 PM

Quote:

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: (Post 8181997)
If we were to extend this discussion to cover incidental music, I would have to say TOS wins quite easily, followed by TNG in a very worthy second place for seasons 1-3 (and some of 4). After that unfortunately, the dreaded Trek Muzak virus sets in for subsequent incarnations - with much of the output in hitherto unimaginably bland territory. Far from "not calling attention to itself", as I believe Rick Berman once proclaimed - the sheer, unadulterated vapid insipidity of it would always have the polar opposite effect on me!

As for the movies, the first ten have some amazing scores - ranging from, minimally, extremely good, to towering, truly inspired masterworks (take a bow TMP). I do like Giacchino's music a lot as well, but for me, they're not quite on a par with their predecessors.

I thought that's what this was.

TOS
Ron Jones TNG
"Face of the Enemy" TNG

enh...everything else.

Phily B May 31 2013 10:10 PM

1. TNG
2. DS9 (slow version, feels more star trek)
3. TOS
4. DS9 (fast)
5. Voyager
6. Enterprise

Belz... May 31 2013 10:50 PM

Quote:

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: (Post 8181997)
If we were to extend this discussion to cover incidental music, I would have to say TOS wins quite easily

Yes, I agree completely. I love blaring soundtracks.

CorporalClegg May 31 2013 11:11 PM

Nothing beats the Courage theme.

The orchestral version of "Faith" wasn't terrible, but Enterprise was definitely the worst.

I initially thought this thread was going to be about the series' BGM in which case I think Enterprise is the best hand's down, ironically.

Belz... May 31 2013 11:30 PM

I know there was a lot of hate for the Enterprise theme. Myself, originally it was only because I thought a song was ill-suited for Trek but I changed my mind later on.

Is that the main reason why most people seem to dislike it ? Or is it because they don't like the song itself ?