The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek - Original Series (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   WI: Original Star Trek updated with JJ Abrams verse? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=215197)

Civ001 May 31 2013 04:57 AM

WI: Original Star Trek updated with JJ Abrams verse?
 
Suppose that in 1969 before the original Star Trek tv series was relesed, all the sets, CGI, and the costumes are all upgraded to those of the Star Trek 2009 movie. The plot and the cast is still the same. But 1966 audiances get to see what the future will be told like from a 2009 perspective. How do you think the people will react to the technology?

King Daniel Into Darkness May 31 2013 09:42 AM

Re: WI: Original Star Trek updated with JJ Abrams verse?
 
They'd be awed. Holographic glass, animated control consoles, touch-screen interfaces. The magic glass in the brig. The gigantic engneering section, shuttlebay and warp core. The scale and scope are far in advance of anything around in 1966 (the show was cancelled in '69), especially on television.

dodge May 31 2013 09:53 AM

Re: WI: Original Star Trek updated with JJ Abrams verse?
 
They wouldn't be able to see the bridge, it would appear to be just a field of white on the old black and white TVs. :D

MANT! May 31 2013 01:26 PM

Re: WI: Original Star Trek updated with JJ Abrams verse?
 
/\ The USA had color TV since the 50s... So I'd have seen it on our RCA Vista vision

Admiral Buzzkill May 31 2013 03:44 PM

Re: WI: Original Star Trek updated with JJ Abrams verse?
 
It'd be awesome.

Nerys Myk May 31 2013 05:17 PM

Re: WI: Original Star Trek updated with JJ Abrams verse?
 
Stanley Kubrick would call his set designer and tell him to dump the white.

Warped9 June 1 2013 12:22 AM

Re: WI: Original Star Trek updated with JJ Abrams verse?
 
A whole lotta pukin' goin' on.

BillJ June 1 2013 02:24 PM

Re: WI: Original Star Trek updated with JJ Abrams verse?
 
Quote:

Warped9 wrote: (Post 8183086)
A whole lotta pukin' goin' on.

Please. Those type of sets and production values in the late-60's would've blown people's minds.

Are the sets practical? Likely not. Do they look cool? Absolutely.

Warped9 June 1 2013 02:25 PM

Re: WI: Original Star Trek updated with JJ Abrams verse?
 
Quote:

BillJ wrote: (Post 8185318)
Quote:

Warped9 wrote: (Post 8183086)
A whole lotta pukin' goin' on.

Please. Those type of sets and production values in the late-60's would've blown people's minds.

Are the sets practical? Likely not. Do they look cool? Absolutely.

Please. It's a matter of opinion.

BillJ June 1 2013 02:39 PM

Re: WI: Original Star Trek updated with JJ Abrams verse?
 
Quote:

Warped9 wrote: (Post 8185327)
Quote:

BillJ wrote: (Post 8185318)
Quote:

Warped9 wrote: (Post 8183086)
A whole lotta pukin' goin' on.

Please. Those type of sets and production values in the late-60's would've blown people's minds.

Are the sets practical? Likely not. Do they look cool? Absolutely.

Please. It's a matter of opinion.

It really isn't.

Is one design better than another? Debatable. But, construction values and production technology has advanced a whole lot in nearly fifty-years.

There is no doubt that audiences would've been wowed by the current sets in the late-60's.

If you can't admit that, then your biases are overruling your common-sense.

Warped9 June 1 2013 03:08 PM

Re: WI: Original Star Trek updated with JJ Abrams verse?
 
Quote:

BillJ wrote: (Post 8185357)
Quote:

Warped9 wrote: (Post 8185327)
Quote:

BillJ wrote: (Post 8185318)

Please. Those type of sets and production values in the late-60's would've blown people's minds.

Are the sets practical? Likely not. Do they look cool? Absolutely.

Please. It's a matter of opinion.

It really isn't.

Yes, it really is.

BillJ June 1 2013 03:11 PM

Re: WI: Original Star Trek updated with JJ Abrams verse?
 
Quote:

Warped9 wrote: (Post 8185408)
Quote:

BillJ wrote: (Post 8185357)
Quote:

Warped9 wrote: (Post 8185327)
Please. It's a matter of opinion.

It really isn't.

Yes, it really is.

So your telling me people of the sixties wouldn't have been wowed by the sets of The Motion Picture or the Alien films?

I know bubbling wallpaper say 23rd century far better than touch screen interfaces and holographic viewscreens.

Nerys Myk June 1 2013 05:31 PM

Re: WI: Original Star Trek updated with JJ Abrams verse?
 
Even the sets for 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) would blow the minds of the 1960s TV audience.

BillJ June 1 2013 05:41 PM

Re: WI: Original Star Trek updated with JJ Abrams verse?
 
Quote:

Nerys Myk wrote: (Post 8185774)
Even the sets for 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) would blow the minds of the 1960s TV audience.

And sixties folks being wowed by Abrams sets doesn't take anything away from the work Jefferies and his designers did on TOS. They blazed the trail that Abrams is following. But Abrams has the advantage of better technology and more money.

Nerys Myk June 1 2013 06:01 PM

Re: WI: Original Star Trek updated with JJ Abrams verse?
 
Quote:

BillJ wrote: (Post 8185813)
Quote:

Nerys Myk wrote: (Post 8185774)
Even the sets for 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) would blow the minds of the 1960s TV audience.

And sixties folks being wowed by Abrams sets doesn't take anything away from the work Jefferies and his designers did on TOS. They blazed the trail that Abrams is following. But Abrams has the advantage of better technology and more money.

Definitely. Jefferies didn't have the budget or technology that the folks working on 2001 had, much less the folks doing the new Trek films. What he and other did was good for a 60s TV budget, but anyone denying that the sets and sfx of the new films would blow the minds of the 1960s TV audience is suffering from a deliberate cognitive dissonance.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.