The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Trek Literature (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Do Spock & Saavik have any children? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=215050)

bfollowell May 30 2013 07:49 AM

Do Spock & Saavik have any children?

I'm not aware of Saavik being mentioned after the Vulcan's Soul trilogy. Spock has been on Romulus for years, at least until very recently. Has any mention ever been made to these two having children? I'm not aware of any but I could've easily missed something.

- Byron

Smoked Salmon May 30 2013 08:07 AM

Re: Do Spock & Saavik have any children?

Don't think so.

lvsxy808 May 30 2013 09:10 AM

I remember the rumour that the reason Saavik stayed behind on Vulcan in The Voyage Home was because she was pregnant with their baby after she helped him through his ponn farr in The Search for Spock, but that's the only thing I can think off hand.

In general I don't like the idea of them ever being a couple, because they always seemed more of a father-daughter relationship to me, so anything more than that comes off as creepy.

Relayer1 May 30 2013 10:42 AM

With Spock leaving the novelverse in the forseeable future, this should be addressed...

Ó Méith May 30 2013 04:45 PM

I would love to know more about Saavik in the 24th Centenary. Such a great yet underused character.

Relayer1 May 31 2013 12:02 AM

Quote:

Ó Méith wrote: (Post 8176468)
I would love to know more about Saavik in the 24th Centenary. Such a great yet underused character.

May I be the first to name their offspring - I suggest Spud :)

Mr. Laser Beam May 31 2013 12:17 AM

Quote:

lvsxy808 wrote: (Post 8175127)
I remember the rumour that the reason Saavik stayed behind on Vulcan in The Voyage Home was because she was pregnant with their baby after she helped him through his ponn farr in The Search for Spock, but that's the only thing I can think off hand.

In general I don't like the idea of them ever being a couple, because they always seemed more of a father-daughter relationship to me, so anything more than that comes off as creepy.

I don't view it as father-daughter (Spock certainly never formally adopted Saavik), more like teacher/mentor and student.

And no, they don't have any children that we're aware of.

Relayer1 May 31 2013 12:23 AM

I used to wonder if Saavik and David had got it together. A possibility since binned by the novels...

Mr. Laser Beam May 31 2013 12:28 AM

^ In the STIII novelization, Saavik and David were indeed having it off.

JD May 31 2013 01:27 AM

Didn't they also get together in the Myriad Universes story The Chimes At Midnight?

Relayer1 May 31 2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: (Post 8178577)
^ In the STIII novelization, Saavik and David were indeed having it off.

Probably where I got it from, being as I read it a long time ago when the movie came out...

King Daniel Into Darkness May 31 2013 07:03 PM

Although I've never been a fan of the Spock/Saavik pairing, a son of Spock would be a fascinating character, with some big shoes to fill. So long as he wasn't just a rehash of Zar or QuintoSpock.
Quote:

Relayer1 wrote: (Post 8178469)

:lol:

I suggest Spunk.

DorkBoy [TM] May 31 2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: (Post 8181790)
Although I've never been a fan of the Spock/Saavik pairing, a son of Spock would be a fascinating character, with some big shoes to fill. So long as he wasn't just a rehash of Zar or QuintoSpock.
Quote:

Relayer1 wrote: (Post 8178469)

:lol:

I suggest Spunk.

Spork!

Reanok May 31 2013 10:19 PM

Quote:

JD wrote: (Post 8178856)
Didn't they also get together in the Myriad Universes story The Chimes At Midnight?

Yes Saavik& David Marcus did get together in the story and were still together at the end of the story.A better and happier ending for David Marcus than he had in Startrek 3.

tomswift2002 June 1 2013 03:05 AM

Quote:

lvsxy808 wrote: (Post 8175127)

I remember reading about that rumour in some book about Star Trek 4. I also seem to recall that Peter David did something with the rumour in #76 "Captain's Daughter", but it's been over ten years since I read the book.

But I seem to remember that it came about because of the Ponn Far scene in STIII (when Spock was a teenager), and people thought that because Saavik was the only other Vulcan on he planet, Spock and Saavik---ah----did it. And that Saavik did conceive and it was the reason why she didn't time travel with Kirk and crew (plus from a budget point of view, the film makers probably were trying to save money and come up with an excuse as to why Saavik was separated from Kirk and crew, even though she should've been sent off for debriefing before the movie began, and Kirk and crew arrested).