The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Fan Fiction (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   June 2013 challenge: "Blaze of Glory" (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=214870)

Cobalt Frost May 29 2013 05:14 AM

June 2013 challenge: "Blaze of Glory"

Some of the best stories of Trek, or many other genres for that matter, involve a "desperate struggle against incredible odds," to quote a certain reptilian Navigator First Class. So this month's challenge is to weave a tale of a doomed but heroic struggle, of a pyrrhic victory, or where your heroes make that final stand, determined to go out in a "blaze of glory." Whether they're successful or not, of course, is up to you.

And now, The Rules:
  • Word limit: 10,000 words max, with a little wiggle room above if needed.
  • Story must be original for this month’s challenge, nothing posted here before please.
  • Let’s keep the challenge in the Trek arena, canon or your personal fic.
  • Only complete stories will be eligible; finishing the story before posting it is a good idea.
  • Post a link to your entry in this thread when you’re done.
  • Contest to run until midnight (US Eastern Standard Time) June 27th, with voting to follow from June 28th to June 30th.
Any questions can be directed to me here or via PM.

Allons-y!!

Sandoval May 29 2013 11:17 AM

Re: June 2013 challenge: "Blaze of Glory"

Quote:

Cobalt Frost wrote: (Post 8169328)
10,000 words max, with a little wiggle room above or below.

Why would you need "wiggle room" below exactly?

If it's under the 10,000 by eight words or eight thousand words then clearly it's fine.

Bit silly of you.

Angry Fanboy May 29 2013 02:09 PM

Angry Fanboy

Quote:

Sandoval wrote: (Post 8170057)
Quote:

Cobalt Frost wrote: (Post 8169328)
10,000 words max, with a little wiggle room above or below.

Why would you need "wiggle room" below exactly?

If it's under the 10,000 by eight words or eight thousand words then clearly it's fine.

Bit silly of you.

More of a figure of speech than anything else I think, although I agree it doesn't really make sense when you look closely. :)

Cobalt Frost May 29 2013 02:23 PM

Edited to correct for late-late night posting :D

Angry Fanboy May 29 2013 09:05 PM

Angry Fanboy

Quibbles over wording aside, I think it's an excellent challenge and one that lends itself to a self-contained tale suitable for this sort of monthly contest. :)

Sandoval June 1 2013 07:13 PM

#GOING DOOOOOOOOWN, IN A BLAAAAZE OF GLORYYYYYY#

Cobalt Frost June 2 2013 01:57 AM

Amusingly, that song's been on heavy rotation on the radio lately, so it very well might have been my inspiration :D

Mistral June 5 2013 10:34 AM

It's a good idea for a challenge. Sadly, I've already written the story I would want to use. I'll see if I can come up with something new but...

Angry Fanboy June 8 2013 10:31 PM

Angry Fanboy

Given the response to these challenges as of late I can't help wondering what harm it would do to open them up to previously posted stories. :)

Count Zero June 8 2013 10:50 PM

Well, the purpose of the challenge is to hone one's writing skills and get feedback on it. Often, small stand-alone stories by lesser known posters get ignored. Participating in the challenge creates attention for those posters.

With previously posted stories there would be no purpose to the challenge in my opinion.

Sandoval June 11 2013 07:09 PM

What difference does it make any more? The challenges are down to one entry every two months anyway, why not just use them as a showcase for people's work, existing or otherwise, rather than this whole 'must be used to hone skills' exercise that barely anyone participates in anyway.

Because lets face facts, Ad Astra has killed this forum. The biggest threads here are those made by the 'big' Ad Astra writers and full of other Ad Astra members patting them on the back ad nauseum.

Two month long challenges that result in one entry are doing no one any favours. The current format has come to the end of the line.

Count Zero June 11 2013 11:27 PM

The option to lay the challenge to rest for a while was on the table the last time but it wasn't taken. So you'll have to live with the terrible burden of possibly not getting that many new stories to read every month on this board for a while longer.

People are free to repost stories they've already posted elsewhere on this board if they want to.

Cobalt Frost June 24 2013 11:02 PM

Since we're approaching the deadline for entries and the thread's been quiet for a little while, please let me know if anyone's going to post an entry soon, or should we extend the challenge for another month?

Stoek June 26 2013 07:14 AM

I will say for myself that I would love an extension. I am working on something but thanks to the lack of forethought by the powers that be I had to spend some time working out a timeline before I could even start writing the blasted thing. *L*

J.Manny June 26 2013 12:56 PM

I'd like to take part but I would not be able to write something before the end of this month.