The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek - Original Series (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Do you ignore the "new" Star Trek? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=214654)

CrazyMatt May 27 2013 09:11 AM

Do you ignore the "new" Star Trek?
 
For whatever reason, I just can't get into this "re-imagined" or "re-imaged" business, so I simply ignore all of the hype surrounding the new Star Trek movies... in fact, I ignore the new movies period. I can't make myself believe that any actor besides Shatner could ever be Kirk, etc...

I felt the same way about the updated Battlestar Galactica when it aired, even though I love Ron Moore.

Am I the only one who feels this way? Am I just too closed minded?

Robert Comsol May 27 2013 09:45 AM

Re: Do you ignore the "new" Star Trek?
 
Quote:

CrazyMatt wrote: (Post 8159947)
Am I the only one who feels this way? Am I just too closed minded?

To answer the thread question: Yes
To answer your question: No

I thought Chris Pine and the actor who plays the new Spock were excellent choices, but I felt this 2009 flick / screenplay to be vastly incompatible with the spirit of TOS which is not about endless action, circus stunts, vengeance and goofy moments.

This flick was something between "Star Trek Troopers" and "Star Trek Academy" ("Police Academy" is on my mind), but nowhere could I find a heart and soul that tells me "Star Trek" other than what's written on the posters and opening credits.

Bob

JoeZhang May 27 2013 10:26 AM

Re: Do you ignore the "new" Star Trek?
 
Quote:

CrazyMatt wrote: (Post 8159947)

Am I the only one who feels this way?

Just as an aside - I've always thought that this question (which we see a lot on message boards) is the most whiny passive aggressive one in existence - unless your actual point was "I thought Hitler was great and maybe we should build some more gas chambers" when is the answer every going to be "Yes you are the only one".

Deckerd May 27 2013 12:09 PM

Re: Do you ignore the "new" Star Trek?
 
Excellent Godwin, sir.

iguana_tonante May 27 2013 12:20 PM

Re: Do you ignore the "new" Star Trek?
 
Quote:

Do you ignore the "new" Star Trek?
No.
Quote:

Am I the only one who feels this way?
No.
Quote:

Am I just too closed minded?
Probably.

Quote:

Robert Comsol wrote: (Post 8159998)
the spirit of TOS which is not about endless action, circus stunts, vengeance and goofy moments.

Lulz. Have you ever seen Star Trek? :lol:

Faria May 27 2013 12:25 PM

Re: Do you ignore the "new" Star Trek?
 
yes

and i ignore the old star trek too. LOL

teacake May 27 2013 12:35 PM

Re: Do you ignore the "new" Star Trek?
 
ALL of Star Trek is my friend.

BillJ May 27 2013 12:56 PM

Re: Do you ignore the "new" Star Trek?
 
Quote:

CrazyMatt wrote: (Post 8159947)

Am I the only one who feels this way? Am I just too closed minded?

I'm lukewarm on Star Trek 2009 and love Star Trek Into Darkness. But different things work for different people.

So no, I don't ignore it.

F. King Daniel May 27 2013 01:01 PM

Re: Do you ignore the "new" Star Trek?
 
Quote:

CrazyMatt wrote: (Post 8159947)
For whatever reason, I just can't get into this "re-imagined" or "re-imaged" business, so I simply ignore all of the hype surrounding the new Star Trek movies... in fact, I ignore the new movies period. I can't make myself believe that any actor besides Shatner could ever be Kirk, etc...

I felt the same way about the updated Battlestar Galactica when it aired, even though I love Ron Moore.

Am I the only one who feels this way? Am I just too closed minded?

I love the new Star Trek, as I love the original. Similarly, I'm was fan of the old Superman movies growing up, I enjoyed Smallville, and now I'm looking forward to Man of Steel. I'm a fan of Sherlock, Elementry and the new Sherlock Holmes movies, when I was never a fan of the old incarnations.

IMO there's some special charm in seeing stories re-imagined and seeing new incarnations of beloved characters.

Shazam! May 27 2013 01:06 PM

Re: Do you ignore the "new" Star Trek?
 
Quote:

CrazyMatt wrote: (Post 8159947)
Am I just too closed minded?

Regarding this bit...

Quote:

I can't make myself believe that any actor besides Shatner could ever be Kirk, etc...
...amost definitely.

Infern0 May 27 2013 01:10 PM

Re: Do you ignore the "new" Star Trek?
 
I don't "ignore" it, I just put it in another category.

To me, "Star Trek" is "The Cage" through to "Nemesis" all episodes and films.

The JJ Trek is cool, I enjoy it but it's not the same series. Not to me at least.

I have the same take on Nu-BSG and Old-BSG, I like both but they are not the same (and in that case i count nu-bsg as the "prime" version as i prefer that one)

Greg Cox May 27 2013 01:19 PM

Re: Do you ignore the "new" Star Trek?
 
Nope. Bring on the new versions. And, with all due respect to Shatner, no actor is irreplaceable.

As I've mentioned before, I've lived through umpteen James Bonds, Supermans, Batmans, Draculas, and Sherlock Holmes in my lifetime. What's one more Kirk or Spock?

Heck, if we can have multiple portrayals of Hamlet, for Pete's sake, I think Kirk should be open to new interpretations as well.

And the new Battlestar Galactica was soooo much better than the original, making it practically the poster child for revamping old series and characters. (Along, perhaps, with Hammer Films, who revitalized Dracula And Frankenstein back in the sixties.)

BennieGamali May 27 2013 01:29 PM

Re: Do you ignore the "new" Star Trek?
 
I really like the first new movie. It is fun, Spock is Spockish. Bones is a good Bones. And the movie is entertaining.


Rarewolf May 27 2013 01:39 PM

Re: Do you ignore the "new" Star Trek?
 
Quote:

Greg Cox wrote: (Post 8160379)
I think Kirk should be open to new interpretations as well.

Well you had 25 years on and off of the same actor as Kirk, he was allowed to age.

I simply don't need another actor as Kirk. Nor do I need Kirk as the lead in a Star Trek story.

Truth is though I was weaned off Star Trek by Enterprise - it soured the milk to such a point its no longer so important to me.

I've seen Star Trek XI, but I don't own a copy. I've never spent a penny on it.

Its very rare for a remake to outshine the original. Battlestar did do that.

MarsWeeps May 27 2013 01:46 PM

Re: Do you ignore the "new" Star Trek?
 
Quote:

CrazyMatt wrote: (Post 8159947)
For whatever reason, I just can't get into this "re-imagined" or "re-imaged" business, so I simply ignore all of the hype surrounding the new Star Trek movies... in fact, I ignore the new movies period.

If you truly "ignored" it as you claim, you wouldn't be starting a thread about it....not to mention putting it in the wrong forum! :wtf:


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.