The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   General Trek Discussion (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   death penalty in star trek (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=214585)

Faria May 26 2013 07:43 PM

death penalty in star trek

I don't remember, is death penalty mentioned in some episodes?

Do federation adopt it?

The Wormhole May 26 2013 07:45 PM

Re: death penalty in star trek

In the 23rd century, violating General Order 7 is the only crime punishable by death in the Federation. Stated so in The Menagerie.

Faria May 26 2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

The Wormhole wrote: (Post 8157124)
In the 23rd century, violating General Order 7 is the only crime punishable by death in the Federation. Stated so in The Menagerie.

what a sin

ps. General Order 7 is those about Talos, isn't it?

The Wormhole May 26 2013 07:54 PM

Indeed, General Order 7 forbids travel to Talos IV.

Lt. Cheka Wey May 26 2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

I would imagine some thrillseekers tempted fate just for the heck of it.

JarodRussell May 26 2013 08:31 PM

Quote:

100 years later, Picard states that Capital punishment is no longer considered a justifiable deterrent.

Portal May 26 2013 08:45 PM

They were going to euthanize Wesley Crusher for falling into that patch of flowers.

Metryq May 26 2013 09:02 PM

"The guilty party has his choice. Death by electrocution, death by gas, death by phaser, death by hanging..."

sbk1234 May 26 2013 11:11 PM

Although it was stated by a crazy person, Janice Lester (looking like Kirk) in Turnabout Intruder sentenced Scotty and McCoy (I think) to death. Although she was nutsy-cookoo, that would seem to indicate some knowledge of capital punishment.

Shawnster May 26 2013 11:13 PM

Quote:

Portal wrote: (Post 8157460)
They were going to euthanize Wesley Crusher for falling into that patch of flowers.

Quote:

Metryq wrote: (Post 8157538)
"The guilty party has his choice. Death by electrocution, death by gas, death by phaser, death by hanging..."

Were either of these Federation members?

Metryq May 27 2013 01:19 AM

Quote:

Shawnster wrote: (Post 8158204)

At a guess, I would say that the Denebians are Federation members, otherwise they would not care about the Vulcan patent. However, that death penalty for fraud is probably a local law, unrelated to the interstellar law of the Federation. Would the Federation extradite Mudd to Deneb 5?

CorporalCaptain May 27 2013 01:44 AM

Quote:

Metryq wrote: (Post 8158735)
Quote:

Shawnster wrote: (Post 8158204)

At a guess, I would say that the Denebians are Federation members, otherwise they would not care about the Vulcan patent. However, that death penalty for fraud is probably a local law, unrelated to the interstellar law of the Federation. Would the Federation extradite Mudd to Deneb 5?

Meh. From reviewing the dialog, it sounds like Deneb V's biggest concern was simply that they didn't have the exclusivity that Mudd led them to believe they would have. That lack of exclusivity would matter if they had intended to leverage it by doing business in Federation space. There's no evidence that they were acting on behalf of Vulcan. Besides, even if they were, it could simply be because of treaty.

No need at all for Deneb V to be in the Federation from that.

From http://www.chakoteya.net/StarTrek/41.htm:

Quote:

I. Mudd wrote:
MUDD: I sold the Denebians all the rights to a Vulcan fuel synthesiser.
KIRK: And the Denebians contacted the Vulcans.
MUDD: How'd you know?
KIRK: That's what I would have done.
MUDD: It's typical police mentality. They've got no sense of humour. They arrested me.
MCCOY: Oh, I find that shocking.
MUDD: Worse than that. Do know what the penalty for fraud is on Deneb Five?
SPOCK: The guilty party has his choice. Death by electrocution, death by gas, death by phaser, death by hanging.
MUDD: The key word in your entire peroration, Mister Spock, was, death. Barbarians. Well, of course, I left.

Robert Comsol May 27 2013 10:43 AM

From "Turnabout Intruder"

KIRK: Enough to convict you of conspiracy with mutineers. And you're so charged. The sentence, death. Mister Lemli.
CHEKOV: Starfleet expressly forbids the death penalty.
KIRK: All my senior officers turning against me?
SULU: The death penalty is forbidden. There's only one exception.
CHEKOV: General Order Four. It has not been violated by any officer on the Enterprise.
KIRK: I am responsible. The execution will be immediate. Go to your posts. Go to your posts.

This is an interesting riddle:

Has General Order 7 been abolished? Since Spock did violate General Order 7 in "The Menagerie" it appears Chekov did not confuse the two.

I may have made in error in judgement when I signed General Order 7 thirteen years prior to events of Stardate 3012.4 and following these events General Order 7 was abolished, if I recall correctly. ;)

Bob

Tiberius May 27 2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Metryq wrote: (Post 8157538)

Death by old age for me, please!

T'Girl May 27 2013 02:29 PM

Quote:

Faria wrote: (Post 8157118)
I don't remember, is death penalty mentioned in some episodes?

In the episode The Conscience Of The King, the governor of a colony world imposed the death penalty on half the population. It sounds on the surface like it was a Earth colony.

Quote:

MENDEZ: And to do so is the only death penalty left on our books. Only Fleet Command knows why.

That to me sound like it's the only death penalty on Starfleet book's from the way Mendez says it. The Federation might have no civilian death penalty, or that could be the penalty for a number of civilian crimes. Also the various Federation Members could have the death penalty within their own legal codes.

We have the death penalty here in Washington State, but we only use it about once a decade.

:)