The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Water Enhancers (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=214561)

Portal May 26 2013 12:41 PM

Water Enhancers
 
Recently my family has been enjoying those little squirt bottles of water flavorings one of which is called Mio.

But I wonder if there are any deleterious effects to drinking them.

What say you?

Mr. Laser Beam May 26 2013 01:15 PM

Re: Water Enhancers
 
I liked them better...when they were called Kool-Aid. :p

iguana_tonante May 26 2013 02:10 PM

Re: Water Enhancers
 
Wine is the only water enhancer I need.

Avon May 26 2013 02:28 PM

Re: Water Enhancers
 
by 'enhancers' do you mean 'flavourings'?

Third Nacelle May 26 2013 05:51 PM

Re: Water Enhancers
 
Quote:

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: (Post 8155756)
I liked them better...when they were called Kool-Aid. :p

You can get actual Kool-Aid in little squirt bottles now too.

...

I can't stand the term "water enhancer" or "flavored water." It's either water or it isn't. Coffee, tea, Dr. Pepper, grapefruit juice, beer, and wine are all mostly water, but no one would call them "flavored water."

Kestra May 26 2013 07:32 PM

Re: Water Enhancers
 
Quote:

Third Nacelle wrote: (Post 8156749)
Quote:

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: (Post 8155756)
I liked them better...when they were called Kool-Aid. :p

You can get actual Kool-Aid in little squirt bottles now too.

...

I can't stand the term "water enhancer" or "flavored water." It's either water or it isn't. Coffee, tea, Dr. Pepper, grapefruit juice, beer, and wine are all mostly water, but no one would call them "flavored water."

I think the difference is that you're starting with a glass of water and just adding something to it.

RoJoHen May 26 2013 07:35 PM

Re: Water Enhancers
 
Yeah, it's still 99.9% water, just with a little flavoring added.

I love those little things. I stay way more hydrated with them.

Portal May 26 2013 07:39 PM

Re: Water Enhancers
 
Quote:

junxon wrote: (Post 8155948)
by 'enhancers' do you mean 'flavourings'?

yes

Naira May 26 2013 07:41 PM

Re: Water Enhancers
 
Such enhancers are not popular here. What do they taste like? Are they all sugar?

During the hot summer months, I enjoy adding a bit of lemon in my water, does that count?

RoJoHen May 26 2013 07:47 PM

Re: Water Enhancers
 
Quote:

Naira wrote: (Post 8157106)
Such enhancers are not popular here. What do they taste like? Are they all sugar?

It's an artificial sweetener, but it has zero calories. It's very concentrated, so a tiny amount goes a long way.

Portal May 26 2013 07:47 PM

Re: Water Enhancers
 
Quote:

Naira wrote: (Post 8157106)
Such enhancers are not popular here. What do they taste like? Are they all sugar?

During the hot summer months, I enjoy adding a bit of lemon in my water, does that count?

They come in many flavors like fruit punch or grape and they also color the water. I think they are either Nutrasweet or that new artificial sweetener from England or both.

Naira May 26 2013 07:51 PM

Re: Water Enhancers
 
^ Oh, I am not worried about calories. I am, however, worried about the sugar, in the sense that everything seems to be so sweet these days, it is hard to find "normal" stuff. And water is just... well... water, why make it more sweet?

But anyway, from what I understand this is not the case here.

Now that you mention coloring the water, I think there was a company here trying to promote colored bottled water for children but I haven't seen anyone actually carrying such a bottle.

RoJoHen May 26 2013 07:54 PM

Re: Water Enhancers
 
Quote:

Naira wrote: (Post 8157154)
^ Oh, I am not worried about calories. I am, however, worried about the sugar, in the sense that everything seems to be so sweet these days, it is hard to find "normal" stuff. And water is just... well... water, why make it more sweet?

But anyway, from what I understand this is not the case here.

Now that you mention coloring the water, I think there was a company here trying to promote colored bottled water for children but I haven't seen anyone actually carrying such a bottle.

It's not about making the water "sweet" so much as it is about giving the water different flavors, like Kool-Aid. Plain old water can be boring sometimes. I found it easier to drink more water if it was flavored, and I therefore stayed more hydrated.

iguana_tonante May 26 2013 08:34 PM

Re: Water Enhancers
 
Quote:

RoJoHen wrote: (Post 8157178)
Plain old water can be boring sometimes. I found it easier to drink more water if it was flavored, and I therefore stayed more hydrated.

This is completely incomprehensible to me, but to each his own, I guess. :lol:

RoJoHen May 26 2013 08:36 PM

Re: Water Enhancers
 
Quote:

iguana_tonante wrote: (Post 8157406)
Quote:

RoJoHen wrote: (Post 8157178)
Plain old water can be boring sometimes. I found it easier to drink more water if it was flavored, and I therefore stayed more hydrated.

This is completely incomprehensible to be, but to each his own, I guess. :lol:

I mean, I like plain old water just fine, but sometimes I want to drink something else. These "water enhancers" allow me to do that without adding a bunch of extra sugar or chemicals.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.