The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TV & Media (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Movies that OFFEND you (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=214348)

Konata Izumi May 24 2013 08:28 PM

Movies that OFFEND you
 
Copied from Gallifrey Base. Offensive place btw. No etiquette.

I like action blockbusters about, this fun term I heard if sexist "***k waving", but lately I've felt there's always something offensive. The Last Stand: patronising poster. A Good Day to Die Hard: in UK cut. G.I. Joe: Retaliation: misogyny. Iron Man 3&G.I. Joe: ill-fittingly oversweet 3d. All of them: NOT GOOD ENOUGH! Fast & Furious 6: this was actually good enough, but the seemingly intelligent and stylish characters never do anything intelligent; it gives these yolo criminals a better name which I like, but shows intelligent action non-supportable.

Lars von Trier and the slightly less famous Hideaki Anno on the other hand have never offended me, even when they do something that's lacking. Maybe it's because they have nihilist worldviews, their movies promote less lamentable illusions of doom.

Even my own 6-minute masterpiece has a lamentable disregard for aesthetic tone; it hurts the senses.

JirinPanthosa May 24 2013 11:56 PM

Re: Movies that OFFEND you
 
Misogyny bothers me more in realistic films than it does in action films. Action films are supposed to be about male bravado, so IMO they get a pass.

The films that bug me are the sort of films that pretend to be progressive when really they are preaching super-conservative values. Things like Friends With Kids, No Strings Attached. Where the premise is something modern and forward thinking, but then the conclusion is that no, it's impossible to really have anything except a traditional family and traditional meaning of sex.

Then there are hypocritical movies that are about not judging people superficially, when they're really about WOMEN not judging MEN superficially. So the ugly man gets the beautiful woman but the ugly woman never gets the handsome man.

DevilEyes May 25 2013 12:02 AM

Re: Movies that OFFEND you
 
Rules of Engagement. From the ethical standpoint, one of the most disgusting movies ever made. Basically, the message is that a soldier is allowed to kill a bunch of civilians and that nobody should held him accountable for it, since, hey, he has it tough doing his job, OK? And that only other soldiers can understand him and will necessarily excuse him, while the lowly civilians have no right judging him for his war crimes. :klingon: :scream:

Konata Izumi May 25 2013 01:38 AM

Re: Movies that OFFEND you
 
Quote:

JirinPanthosa wrote: (Post 8148577)
Misogyny bothers me more in realistic films than it does in action films. Action films are supposed to be about male bravado, so IMO they get a pass.

Then they'd have to be against non-macho male characters too.

Also there were 2 tough chick characters in Fast & Furious 6.

Quote:

JirinPanthosa wrote: (Post 8148577)
The films that bug me are the sort of films that pretend to be progressive when really they are preaching super-conservative values. Things like Friends With Kids, No Strings Attached. Where the premise is something modern and forward thinking, but then the conclusion is that no, it's impossible to really have anything except a traditional family and traditional meaning of sex.

Jagten/The Hunt, and other similar stories, can be a bit sad how all emphasis is on, how innocent people are being affected by societal punishment, as if, if the guy was guilty, then it'd be all ok.

Greg Cox May 25 2013 01:51 AM

Re: Movies that OFFEND you
 
"Offend" is too strong a word, but I tend to be irked by movies like "Sweet Home Alabama" that suggest that small-town, salt-of-the-earth, country folk are somehow purer and more decent than those snobby, over-educated city slickers . . . .

I'm an ex-New Yorker and proud of it.

DevilEyes May 25 2013 02:02 AM

Re: Movies that OFFEND you
 
Quote:

Konata Izumi wrote: (Post 8149150)
Jagten/The Hunt, and other similar stories, can be a bit sad how all emphasis is on, how innocent people are being affected by societal punishment, as if, if the guy was guilty, then it'd be all ok.

Now how and based on what did you get to this amazing conclusion? Reading the mind of the writers/director? Deleted scene where the director appeared to announce that it would be OK if he were guilty? Do you know something we don't?

Prince of Space May 25 2013 03:13 AM

Re: Movies that OFFEND you
 
I'm rarely offended by a movie, certainly not when one presents a different worldview than mine, be it political, religious or some other. I guess I do feel a little bothered when a film goes out of its way to mock a person or group. Why is that necessary? Just present your view and let people decide. But, even then, I get over the offense pretty quickly.

Ain Jalut May 25 2013 10:27 AM

Re: Movies that OFFEND you
 
Things to Come. I don't know about the book, but the movie glorified fascism.

stj May 25 2013 01:53 PM

Re: Movies that OFFEND you
 
The ones that really get under my skin are either the epic falsifications, malignant mythmaking movies like The Birth of a Nation or Gone With the Wind, or the really topical ones that lie about current affairs, things like Zero Dark Thirty.

Things like Monster (about Aileen Wuornos) or Pain & Gain, are not precisely offensive but really, really creepy. Not least because they didn't seem so while you were first watching them.

RandyS May 25 2013 03:56 PM

Re: Movies that OFFEND you
 
I find the current trend of going through life looking for things to be offended by to be offensive.

DalekJim May 25 2013 04:17 PM

Re: Movies that OFFEND you
 
Don't get offended by racism, sexism, homophobia etc. Triumph if the Will and Birth of the Nation are amazing films to watch.

What offends me, is any film with an anti-intellectual agenda. Any film that portrays the act of thinking as something horrid and to be ashamed of. Forrest Gump is a good, literal example but most action blockbusters fall for it too. See, JJ Abrams Star Trek.

Konata Izumi May 25 2013 05:44 PM

Re: Movies that OFFEND you
 
Quote:

DalekJim wrote: (Post 8151625)
What offends me, is any film with an anti-intellectual agenda. Any film that portrays the act of thinking as something horrid and to be ashamed of. Forrest Gump is a good, literal example but most action blockbusters fall for it too. See, JJ Abrams Star Trek.

I tried stopping thinking once for a long time. All the bad things stayed and good things left. Can't say how the opposite works. Would it really, almost ever, burn the mind? Bureaucracies seem to be how they are because of a collective lack of thinking. Too often not good to people.

As a short-term, like days, solution it has helped, when the environment was a harmless one, but the mind was under too much concern.

JarodRussell May 25 2013 06:00 PM

Re: Movies that OFFEND you
 
Quote:

DevilEyes wrote: (Post 8148628)
Rules of Engagement. From the ethical standpoint, one of the most disgusting movies ever made. Basically, the message is that a soldier is allowed to kill a bunch of civilians and that nobody should held him accountable for it, since, hey, he has it tough doing his job, OK? And that only other soldiers can understand him and will necessarily excuse him, while the lowly civilians have no right judging him for his war crimes. :klingon: :scream:

The message was rather that he was innocent and someone destroyed the tape to prove it. But since you are innocent until proven guilty, he was released. The opening scene shows the audience what actually happened, and throughout the film the audience witnesses all the lies in the courtroom.

DevilEyes May 25 2013 06:08 PM

Re: Movies that OFFEND you
 
Quote:

JarodRussell wrote: (Post 8152021)
Quote:

DevilEyes wrote: (Post 8148628)
Rules of Engagement. From the ethical standpoint, one of the most disgusting movies ever made. Basically, the message is that a soldier is allowed to kill a bunch of civilians and that nobody should held him accountable for it, since, hey, he has it tough doing his job, OK? And that only other soldiers can understand him and will necessarily excuse him, while the lowly civilians have no right judging him for his war crimes. :klingon: :scream:

The message was rather that he was innocent and someone destroyed the tape to prove it. But since you are innocent until proven guilty, he was released. The opening scene shows the audience what actually happened, and throughout the film the audience witnesses all the lies in the courtroom.

Not in the movie I saw (granted, a long time ago). So who did kill those people then?

JarodRussell May 25 2013 06:16 PM

Re: Movies that OFFEND you
 
Quote:

DevilEyes wrote: (Post 8152048)
Quote:

JarodRussell wrote: (Post 8152021)
Quote:

DevilEyes wrote: (Post 8148628)
Rules of Engagement. From the ethical standpoint, one of the most disgusting movies ever made. Basically, the message is that a soldier is allowed to kill a bunch of civilians and that nobody should held him accountable for it, since, hey, he has it tough doing his job, OK? And that only other soldiers can understand him and will necessarily excuse him, while the lowly civilians have no right judging him for his war crimes. :klingon: :scream:

The message was rather that he was innocent and someone destroyed the tape to prove it. But since you are innocent until proven guilty, he was released. The opening scene shows the audience what actually happened, and throughout the film the audience witnesses all the lies in the courtroom.

Not in the movie I saw (granted, a long time ago). So who did kill those people then?

IF we are talking about the Samuel L. Jackson Rule of Engagement, the majority of the crowd was armed and shooting at them, and it was self defense. Unless you argue they should have surrendered or let themselves get killed. It is one of those films that depend on your pre-existing views. Like Insurrection or Avatar, which simply don't work if you already think that removing natives for exploiting natural resources is okay, for example.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.