The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies XI+ (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Should they have deleted this scene? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=214174)

sj4iy May 23 2013 03:33 PM

Should they have deleted this scene?

According to JJ Abrams, there was a shower scene involving Benedict Cumberbatch that was edited out of the final cut of the movie. Considering the claims of misogyny this movie is getting for the 2 second clip of Alice Eve in her underwear, should this scene have stayed in the movie?

Opinions below.

ManOnTheWave May 23 2013 04:11 PM

Re: Should they have deleted this scene?

It was probably cut for no reason other than time and pacing. I'm glad the contrived controversy gave JJ & Co a reason to use the footage. Now poor Benedict Cumberbatch has something to show for all of his work outs and "immoral" consumption of four thousand calories a day, and the Cumberfans have candy for their eyes.

sj4iy May 23 2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

ManOnTheWave wrote: (Post 8140828)
It was probably cut for no reason other than time and pacing. I'm glad the contrived controversy gave JJ & Co a reason to use the footage. Now poor Benedict Cumberbatch has something to show for all of his work outs and "immoral" consumption of four thousand calories a day, and the Cumberfans have candy for their eyes.

Probably true, but it may have tilted the argument back to "everyone gets equally exposed" like he said. I definitely wouldn't have minded it, though- but then again, I didn't mind Alice Eve.

Greg Cox May 23 2013 06:59 PM

But then fans would have argued for years about whether Cumberbatch's chest was real! :)

Awesome Possum May 23 2013 07:33 PM

How is the underwear scene a controversy? Movies have shown women and men in their underwear since shortly after they were invented.

sj4iy May 23 2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

Awesome Possum wrote: (Post 8141965)
How is the underwear scene a controversy? Movies have shown women and men in their underwear since shortly after they were invented.

Honestly, I don't know, but some people have taken issue with it (women's rights and strange stuff like that).

CorporalClegg May 23 2013 07:39 PM

I'd watch.

Cid Highwind May 23 2013 11:52 PM

Quote:

sj4iy wrote: (Post 8142001)
Quote:

Honestly, I don't know, but some people have taken issue with it (women's rights and strange stuff like that).

Not sure why "people" did what they did, but I have taken issue with that scene not because of "women's rights and strange stuff" (which, BTW, is itself a very strange phrasing), but because it was written badly.

sj4iy May 24 2013 12:04 AM

Quote:

Cid Highwind wrote: (Post 8143555)
Quote:

sj4iy wrote: (Post 8142001)
Quote:

Not sure why "people" did what they did, but I have taken issue with that scene not because of "women's rights and strange stuff" (which, BTW, is itself a very strange phrasing), but because it was written badly.

I have no problem with that explanation :)

The Wormhole May 24 2013 12:24 AM

I'm not surprised the Cumberbatch shower scene was deleted. It revealed too much about Cumberbatch...

TheCutestofBorg May 24 2013 12:45 AM

Conan is right, he did not look like he was enjoying that shower. In fact, it almost looked like he was dropping a deuce.

Matt S May 24 2013 12:57 AM

Goddamn, what has happened to this world? People that uptight about an underwear scene....this political correctness makes me annoyed

Phily B May 24 2013 12:57 AM

Quote:

TheCutestofBorg wrote: (Post 8143804)
Conan is right, he did not look like he was enjoying that shower. In fact, it almost looked like he was dropping a deuce.

:rofl:

It did look a little weird how the water is dropping from him. Damn Benny is ripped though, he doesn't look it in clothing.

Kevman7987 May 24 2013 01:07 AM

Quote:

Phily B wrote: (Post 8143870)
Damn Benny is ripped though, he doesn't look it in clothing.

This season on Sherlock; Sherlock works out until he is ripped and crushes all the bad guys' skulls! Watson uses his One Ring to turn invisible!"

The Wormhole May 24 2013 01:55 AM

Quote:

Kevman7987 wrote: (Post 8143912)
Quote:

Phily B wrote: (Post 8143870)
Damn Benny is ripped though, he doesn't look it in clothing.

This season on Sherlock; Sherlock works out until he is ripped and crushes all the bad guys' skulls! Watson uses his One Ring to turn invisible!"

This post reminds me of an interview with Steven Moffat in spring 2012. When asked if there was any news about Sherlock, Moffat reponded "Sherlock's fighting Captain Kirk and Watson's helping out Gandalf."