The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   The Next Generation (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Wanted for Murder: Cmdr Riker (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=214084)

davidant32 May 22 2013 09:01 PM

Wanted for Murder: Cmdr Riker

I just finished watching the Blu-Ray of 3x09 "The Vengeance Factor" and was appalled to realize that Riker flat-out murdered Yuta! I mean, he tried stunning her twice with his phaser, then without any warning of the use of deadly force, vaporized her. All that needed to happen was for anyone NOT of the Lornak Clan to restrain her (read: anyone but Chorgan).

Not only that, but 3 episodes later, Riker chastises Devos for using deadly force on Finn in 3x12 "The High Ground."

What a hypocrite and murderer!

Forbin May 22 2013 09:15 PM

Re: Wanted for Murder: Cmdr Riker

I kind of agree. Vaporising her was uncalled for.

jimbotron May 22 2013 09:21 PM

This is silly.

When he shot her the second time, it should have put her down, but it didn't. It was probably set to kill by that point. She's apparently impervious to being knocked out.

No one was in the position to restrain her. All she needed to do was lunge at Chorgan to kill him, and was only about four steps away.

Besides, she had it coming. :lol:

MacLeod May 22 2013 09:22 PM

He did stun her twice, and she continued to try and attack.

cheesepuff316 May 22 2013 09:25 PM

She'd already murdered all but one of the other clan and was trying to kill the last one. He already tried to stun her and it didn't work. He tried talking her out of it, and failed so he had no other options to save Chorgan's life. He warned her that he had no choice and needed to stop her - she just ignored him....

davidant32 May 22 2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

jimbotron wrote: (Post 8137003)
...and was only about four steps away.

Four steps is a pretty good distance for Riker to interject himself between Yuta and Chorgan.

Quote:

jimbotron wrote: (Post 8137003)
She's apparently impervious to being knocked out.

...but not necessarily unable to overpower. Riker didn't even try it, or say, "Hey, next step you take, I'm gonna kill you." I'm not arguing that she didn't have it coming, I'm just thinking that in the idealistic society of the Federation, Riker should've exhausted every option to take her alive.

Pavonis May 22 2013 09:41 PM

Who is going to charge him with murder, though? Who has jurisdiction?

Ar-Pharazon May 22 2013 10:08 PM

I always thought killing her seemed unnecessary.

The first two quick shots did move her back a bit, so Riker could've tried a sustained heavy-stun beam.

And she didn't so much ignore Riker as just couldn't fight the imperative for vengeance. For all we know there was some mind programming involved.

Mr. Laser Beam May 22 2013 10:17 PM

Chorgan was grateful enough to Riker for saving his life that I'm sure he used all his influence to get Riker off the hook. And the Sovereign was plenty pissed at Yuta as well, so I doubt Yuta would be missed.

BillJ May 22 2013 10:57 PM

What would've happened to Yuta if they had captured her? Stick her on a penal colony until the last of the Lornak clan was dead? Riker did the merciful thing by ending her life.

Zippo and Flask May 23 2013 12:45 AM

Quote:

davidant32 wrote: (Post 8137081)
Riker should've exhausted every option to take her alive.

I guess the police never changed their tactics.

Dale Sams May 23 2013 03:08 AM

And he vaporized his clone under the pretense of "Well, it came from my cells"!

JirinPanthosa May 23 2013 03:25 AM

It was clear to me that there wasn't any setting that would stun her but not kill her.

Maybe he could have overpowered her. But when an innocent person's life is at risk you don't mess around. You don't risk the victim's life to save the attacker's life when you can save the victim's life by killing the attacker.

Mr. Laser Beam May 23 2013 03:39 AM

Quote:

BillJ wrote: (Post 8137561)
What would've happened to Yuta if they had captured her? Stick her on a penal colony until the last of the Lornak clan was dead?

Yuta was probably strong and smart enough to escape any confinement the Acamarians could devise for her. They couldn't risk that.

Tosk May 23 2013 04:33 AM

His actions seemed just fine to me.

Think of it in terms of our time...

A serial killer carrying a deadly weapon is caught in the act of trying to murder yet another victim.
The police taze them to minimal effect.
They taze again, killer still not going down. The police implore the killer not to do it.
When the killer lunges for the victim, do the cops shoot to kill?