The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies XI+ (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Warp Drive in Star Trek Into Darkness - [SPOILERS] (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=213733)

Flake May 20 2013 05:36 PM

Warp Drive in Star Trek Into Darkness - [SPOILERS]
 
I think the Enterprise uses a quantum slipstream or transwarp drive in the reboot. Its the only workable explanation for the travel time to Kronos of approximately two minutes. I have read on here that Kronos is 90 light years from Earth? I don't know the source of that but for the purpose of this thread I will use that figure. I am aware the Enterprise travels at the speed of plot but perhaps not at a speed that ruins the premise of certain Star Trek shows? or contradicts certain Trek episodes (Q Who?)

The Vulcan travel time in the last movie is ambiguous but I think a few hours. Still really fast. It indicates Kronos is either way closer to Earth than Vulcan or the Enterprise has upgraded its slipstream drive this time

I think its about 0.75 light year per second for Earth to Kronos based on 90 light year distance. So 75000 light years for Voyager at Star Trek Into Darkness speeds would take a day or so. The whole galaxy is within a days warp.

If the Enterprise warps into the cosmos away from Earth at Star Trek Into Darkness speeds for 3 years of its 5 year mission it will travel: 71 million light years.

Only one ship has gone faster than this, USS Enterprise, NCC-1701-A travelled to the centre of the galaxy in 6.1hours from Nimbus 3. Approx 30,000 ly and almost twice the speed of the Enterprise in STID.

:vulcan:

Flake May 20 2013 05:43 PM

Re: Warp Drive in Star Trek Into Darkness - [SPOILERS]
 
As an interesting aside to the 0.75 light year per second speed of the Enterprise, the Vengeance knocks the Enterprise out of warp 267,000km short of its target.......

When the Enterprise is travelling at 20 billion km per second it would've reached its target about 0.0000000000000001 seconds later anyway? (number of zeros a guess ;) )

ConRefit79 May 20 2013 05:45 PM

Re: Warp Drive in Star Trek Into Darkness - [SPOILERS]
 
Cue the defenders saying Warp speed is whatever the plot dictates.......


Now.

But if that's the case, how did the mining ship Narada get its hands on transwarp or slip stream tech in the prime universe?

Flake May 20 2013 05:56 PM

Re: Warp Drive in Star Trek Into Darkness - [SPOILERS]
 
Even if Kronos was actually orbiting Proxima Centauri, the closest star to Earth at 4.3 light years, thats still 2ly per minute. It is crazy fast and makes the galaxy very very very small. There should be consultants that the script writers can consult on matters such as this, like on TNG.

If Kurtzman/Orci wrote this script for TNG they would've been sent back to the drawing board until they fix issues like this even if it breaks their script. Sure, 98% of people either don't notice or don't care.. but I care and it annoys me ;)

ConRefit79 May 20 2013 05:58 PM

Re: Warp Drive in Star Trek Into Darkness - [SPOILERS]
 
Does anyone know if the Okuda's were ever consulted?

Flake May 20 2013 05:59 PM

Re: Warp Drive in Star Trek Into Darkness - [SPOILERS]
 
I doubt they would have put their name to this and even if they did get consulted I would imagine their advice would have been ignored because it ruins the script.

Crazyewok May 20 2013 06:00 PM

Re: Warp Drive in Star Trek Into Darkness - [SPOILERS]
 
Quote:

ConRefit79 wrote: (Post 8123506)
Cue the defenders saying Warp speed is whatever the plot dictates.......


Now.

But if that's the case, how did the mining ship Narada get its hands on transwarp or slip stream tech in the prime universe?


I always thought that Nero got hold of borg tec before he went back in time.

ConRefit79 May 20 2013 06:00 PM

Re: Warp Drive in Star Trek Into Darkness - [SPOILERS]
 
Well I know JJ is not a huge fan, but I thought one or two writers are big fans. Which should mean they know how things work.

publiusr June 1 2013 08:43 PM

Re: Warp Drive in Star Trek Into Darkness - [SPOILERS]
 
Enterprise was in a cut off out of control warp bubble for a bit...

King Daniel Into Darkness June 1 2013 09:29 PM

Re: Warp Drive in Star Trek Into Darkness - [SPOILERS]
 
Quote:

Flake wrote: (Post 8123440)
Only one ship has gone faster than this, USS Enterprise, NCC-1701-A travelled to the centre of the galaxy in 6.1hours from Nimbus 3. Approx 30,000 ly and almost twice the speed of the Enterprise in STID.

:vulcan:

The Enterprise in TOS and TAS visited the rim of the galaxy twice ("Where No Man..." and "By Any Other Name"), and the centre of the galaxy ("Magicks of Megas Tu") like it was nothing. By Voyager's standards, they would have been lifelong trips.

The Enterprise NX-01 visited Kronos in a couple of days at warp 4.

The Enterprise-E jumped from the Romulan Neutral Zone to Earth in a blink in First Contact.

DS9 crew hopped to Earth, Bajor, Romulus, Kronos and Cardassia in the space of a scene break.


There are more examples on Wikipedia and Memory Alpha. Excepting Voyager, technical manuals and the novelverse, ultrafast warp speeds are the rule, not the exception.

Belz... June 1 2013 10:13 PM

Re: Warp Drive in Star Trek Into Darkness - [SPOILERS]
 
Quote:

Flake wrote: (Post 8123500)
As an interesting aside to the 0.75 light year per second speed of the Enterprise, the Vengeance knocks the Enterprise out of warp 267,000km short of its target.......

Yeah I found that strange too. Writers simply don't have any idea how big space is. Writers have no sense of scale.

beamMe June 1 2013 10:14 PM

Re: Warp Drive in Star Trek Into Darkness - [SPOILERS]
 
Quote:

Flake wrote: (Post 8123440)
Its the only workable explanation for the travel time to Kronos of approximately two minutes.

Film editing, it's a difficult concept.

Belz... June 1 2013 10:14 PM

Re: Warp Drive in Star Trek Into Darkness - [SPOILERS]
 
Quote:

Flake wrote: (Post 8123569)
Even if Kronos was actually orbiting Proxima Centauri, the closest star to Earth at 4.3 light years, thats still 2ly per minute. It is crazy fast and makes the galaxy very very very small.

The movie doesn't make it clear how long the trip took, but it does seem very very short.

P0sitr0nic June 1 2013 10:18 PM

Re: Warp Drive in Star Trek Into Darkness - [SPOILERS]
 
Quote:

ConRefit79 wrote: (Post 8123506)
Cue the defenders saying Warp speed is whatever the plot dictates.......


Now.

But if that's the case, how did the mining ship Narada get its hands on transwarp or slip stream tech in the prime universe?

The comics said the Narada was outfitted with borg tech by the Tal Shiar, which is how it grew so big.

Belz... June 1 2013 10:52 PM

Re: Warp Drive in Star Trek Into Darkness - [SPOILERS]
 
And why it's so strong. Even 24th century ships had trouble with her. I wonder why he wanted the codes for Earth's defenses.

Besides, this transwarp thing we're discussing is pure speculation.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.