The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies XI+ (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   One Year Gap (spoilers, kinda) (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=213625)

mattman8907 May 19 2013 11:40 PM

One Year Gap (spoilers, kinda)
 
in the final scene of the movie, Kirk in his speech said that a year had passed since the attack on London and Starfleet and i was wondering what do you think happened during the one year that the enterprise was being refitted?

Belz... May 19 2013 11:46 PM

Re: One Year Gap
 
A tribble invasion.

WarpFactorZ May 19 2013 11:49 PM

Re: One Year Gap
 
Kirk went to a lot of bars?

Pavonis May 19 2013 11:55 PM

Re: One Year Gap
 
A lot of paperwork, I imagine.

Titus Andronicus May 19 2013 11:59 PM

Re: One Year Gap
 
Honestly I think some of the characters were temporarily re-assigned to other ships in the fleet. Scotty was on Earth, leading the Enterprise repair/refit. As for Kirk, I have no idea. Part of that time was, no doubt, spent recovering from the experience of death, perhaps he also went to the Academy to teach. He may have also done a brief media circuit as a Starfleet hero.

Also, I'm sure that at some point the senior staff was briefed on the new Five Year Mission. Maybe other ships already on the mission have supplied Starfleet with initial impressions of what they're finding on the frontier and the Enterprise staff is taking the lessons to heart?

F. King Daniel May 20 2013 12:03 AM

Re: One Year Gap
 
Picking up the pieces after a lunatic crashed a giant starship into San Francisco.

Oh, and the whale probe from STIV came along, but Old Spock went to the shore and held up his iPod and played whalesong at it until it went away.

Belz... May 20 2013 12:24 AM

Re: One Year Gap
 
Quote:

King Daniel wrote: (Post 8119156)
Picking up the pieces after a lunatic crashed a giant starship into San Francisco.

Oh, and the whale probe from STIV came along, but Old Spock went to the shore and held up his iPod and played whalesong at it until it went away.

So next movie they find god in the center of the galaxy and make peace with the klingons ?

Nightowl1701 May 20 2013 12:28 AM

Re: One Year Gap
 
I gotta admit, when they mentioned the one year gap (bringing us to mid-2260), and then Kirk/Carol had their little exchange on the bridge about "being part of the family/Nice to have a family," I was fully expecting the camera to pan down to reveal she was pregnant...

Phily B May 20 2013 12:29 AM

Re: One Year Gap
 
Quote:

Nightowl1701 wrote: (Post 8119297)
I gotta admit, when they mentioned the one year gap (bringing us to mid-2260), and then Kirk/Carol had their little exchange on the bridge about "being part of the family/Nice to have a family," I was fully expecting the camera to pan down to reveal she was pregnant...

Haha, me too.

mattman8907 May 20 2013 12:42 AM

Re: One Year Gap
 
Quote:

Phily B wrote: (Post 8119300)
Quote:

Nightowl1701 wrote: (Post 8119297)
I gotta admit, when they mentioned the one year gap (bringing us to mid-2260), and then Kirk/Carol had their little exchange on the bridge about "being part of the family/Nice to have a family," I was fully expecting the camera to pan down to reveal she was pregnant...

Haha, me too.

never really thought about it like that but according to memory alpha David was born in 2261, so it could be theoretically possible.

propita May 20 2013 12:47 AM

Re: One Year Gap
 
Quote:

Titus Andronicus wrote: (Post 8119114)
Honestly I think some of the characters were temporarily re-assigned to other ships in the fleet. Scotty was on Earth, leading the Enterprise repair/refit. As for Kirk, I have no idea. Part of that time was, no doubt, spent recovering from the experience of death, perhaps he also went to the Academy to teach. He may have also done a brief media circuit as a Starfleet hero.

Also, I'm sure that at some point the senior staff was briefed on the new Five Year Mission. Maybe other ships already on the mission have supplied Starfleet with initial impressions of what they're finding on the frontier and the Enterprise staff is taking the lessons to heart?

I thought this would be the first five year mission?

AbramsIsSatan May 20 2013 12:52 AM

Re: One Year Gap
 
Quote:

Belz... wrote: (Post 8119276)

So next movie they find god in the center of the galaxy and make peace with the klingons ?

Yes, and God will be played by Shatner.

mattman8907 May 20 2013 12:55 AM

Re: One Year Gap
 
Quote:

AbramsIsSatan wrote: (Post 8119417)
Quote:

Belz... wrote: (Post 8119276)

So next movie they find god in the center of the galaxy and make peace with the klingons ?

Yes, and God will be played by Shatner.

i wonder if chris pine / kirk would still say "what does god need with a starship." line.

Titus Andronicus May 20 2013 01:37 AM

Re: One Year Gap
 
Quote:

propita wrote: (Post 8119378)
Quote:

Titus Andronicus wrote: (Post 8119114)
Honestly I think some of the characters were temporarily re-assigned to other ships in the fleet. Scotty was on Earth, leading the Enterprise repair/refit. As for Kirk, I have no idea. Part of that time was, no doubt, spent recovering from the experience of death, perhaps he also went to the Academy to teach. He may have also done a brief media circuit as a Starfleet hero.

Also, I'm sure that at some point the senior staff was briefed on the new Five Year Mission. Maybe other ships already on the mission have supplied Starfleet with initial impressions of what they're finding on the frontier and the Enterprise staff is taking the lessons to heart?

I thought this would be the first five year mission?


You know, I think you may be right. I guess I just assumed, based on Kirk already talking to Spock about a five year mission at the start of the movie, that Starfleet in the intervening year would have already sent a few ships out there.

But I think you're right. To be absolutely sure perhaps I should see the film again.....;)

Pavonis May 20 2013 01:37 AM

Re: One Year Gap
 
Quote:

propita wrote: (Post 8119378)
Quote:

Titus Andronicus wrote: (Post 8119114)
Honestly I think some of the characters were temporarily re-assigned to other ships in the fleet. Scotty was on Earth, leading the Enterprise repair/refit. As for Kirk, I have no idea. Part of that time was, no doubt, spent recovering from the experience of death, perhaps he also went to the Academy to teach. He may have also done a brief media circuit as a Starfleet hero.

Also, I'm sure that at some point the senior staff was briefed on the new Five Year Mission. Maybe other ships already on the mission have supplied Starfleet with initial impressions of what they're finding on the frontier and the Enterprise staff is taking the lessons to heart?

I thought this would be the first five year mission?

You're both right - it's the new 5-Year Mission Program, which will be the first mission of that duration.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.