The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies XI+ (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Transwarp drive: Vengeance = Excelsior (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=213487)

WarpFactorZ May 19 2013 05:09 AM

Transwarp drive: Vengeance = Excelsior
 
Just got back from seeing the movie. Excellent!... except for the ever-growing ship sizes. But alas, move on.

One thing I picked up on, which I haven't heard discussed here yet, was Carol Marcus' comment that Adm. Marcus had been dabbling with transwarp technology -- and hence why he could easily catch the Enterprise. Very nice homage to the Excelsior, and a "what could have been" it it had been designed for nefarious purposes.

Also, as others have pointed out: Scotty crippled it quite easily. The more they over-think the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.

Jack Frost May 19 2013 05:16 AM

Re: Transwarp drive: Vengeance = Excelsior
 
The Vengeance darkly creeping up from behind was that ships money shot of the whole movie!

Phily B May 19 2013 05:19 AM

Re: Transwarp drive: Vengeance = Excelsior
 
Quote:

The Keeper wrote: (Post 8114179)
The Vengeance darkly creeping up from behind was that ships money shot of the whole movie!

I'm surprised it took so long for them to release a poster of that..

Belz... May 21 2013 12:48 PM

Re: Transwarp drive: Vengeance = Excelsior
 
Quote:

WarpFactorZ wrote: (Post 8114137)
One thing I picked up on, which I haven't heard discussed here yet, was Carol Marcus' comment that Adm. Marcus had been dabbling with transwarp technology -- and hence why he could easily catch the Enterprise. Very nice homage to the Excelsior, and a "what could have been" it it had been designed for nefarious purposes.

Huh. Didn't think about that before, but maybe this is what Esteban meant in III when he mentioned Kirk was wrong thinking he could get away with warp drive. Khan's line echoes this quite nicely.

Vengeance is the Evil Excelcior.

M.A.C.O. May 21 2013 01:20 PM

Re: Transwarp drive: Vengeance = Excelsior
 
The 2009 bluray special features for the Narada said it was capable of transwarp drive. If the NuEnterprise got sensors scans of the Narada's propulsion system in action. Admiral Marcus/Star Fleet Intelligence/Section 31 could've figured it out. Also they did collect Scotty's transwarp beaming equation from him according to Scotty in the film. Maybe that's how they applied it to the Vengeance.

C.E. Evans May 21 2013 01:24 PM

Re: Transwarp drive: Vengeance = Excelsior
 
IMO, the nuEnterprise has transwarp drive* as well given how quickly she can get from place to place. The Vengeance just might have a faster or more powerful version of it.

*Maybe in the Abramsverse, their warp drive is the equivalent of the Prime Universe's transwarp.

R. Star May 21 2013 01:35 PM

Re: Transwarp drive: Vengeance = Excelsior
 
Or maybe they just throw the word out there because it sounds cool and they're just even more blatant about time and distance only being plot concerns to be overlooked when convenient. ;)

C.E. Evans May 21 2013 01:41 PM

Re: Transwarp drive: Vengeance = Excelsior
 
In a real sense, warp factors have always been pretty much meaningless, essentially technobabble, with no more real thought given to them by the writers than they get subsequently faster from warp one.

The line between Trek's warp drive and Star Wars' hyperdrive continues to blur, but it wasn't very clear to begin with, IMO.

EJD1984 May 21 2013 01:45 PM

Re: Transwarp drive: Vengeance = Excelsior
 
I'm thinking that the Transwarp for the Vengeance came from Scotty (inadvertently). Remember he made the comment "Starfleet took away my transwarp-beaming formula". Most likely the Section 31 engineers and scientist used that for the basis for the new propulsion.

Though, shouldn't it have taken the Enterprise several days to get to Kronos?
(For that matter, Vulcan should have been a day or two in the 2009 movie)

M.A.C.O. May 21 2013 01:55 PM

Re: Transwarp drive: Vengeance = Excelsior
 
Quote:

R. Star wrote: (Post 8128321)
Or maybe they just throw the word out there because it sounds cool and they're just even more blatant about time and distance only being plot concerns to be overlooked when convenient. ;)

^ this and remember the NuEnterprise was capable of getting from Vulcan to Earth in what i assume was under an hour in the 2009 movie. Despite the Narada being capable of transwarp, the NuEnterprise was able to leave Vulcan space after the planet's destruction, detour partially to the Lorientian system and then make it to Earth catching up to the Narada moving at warp FOUR! Like wtf. Warp factors move at the speed of plot.

C.E. Evans May 21 2013 02:54 PM

Re: Transwarp drive: Vengeance = Excelsior
 
Quote:

EJD1984 wrote: (Post 8128366)
Though, shouldn't it have taken the Enterprise several days to get to Kronos?
(For that matter, Vulcan should have been a day or two in the 2009 movie)

If we go with the idea that the initial scans of the Narada by the late Starship Kelvin led to major technological changes in the new timeline, then the warp drive of the nuEnterprise may be more than a century ahead of what it was originally.

But it could also be said if it only took NX-01 four days to get to the Klingon homeworld, a significantly faster NCC-1701 should get there in a fraction of the time and to Vulcan in even less time.

Kruezerman May 21 2013 04:29 PM

Re: Transwarp drive: Vengeance = Excelsior
 
And don't forget, the original Enterprise left the galaxy and the Enterprise-A went to the center!

So really, warp factors are meaningless.

On topic, I think the Vengeance is just really fast. Kirk thought that the Enterprise was the fastest and was surprised that she caught up with her.

Belz... May 21 2013 04:34 PM

Re: Transwarp drive: Vengeance = Excelsior
 
Quote:

AllStarEntprise wrote: (Post 8128279)
The 2009 bluray special features for the Narada said it was capable of transwarp drive.

I don't know. The Enterprise manages to catch up to it before they can blow up Earth, so either it's not super fast (it is originally a mining vessel) or Nero was taking his sweet time getting there, for some reason.

Third Nacelle May 21 2013 06:02 PM

Re: Transwarp drive: Vengeance = Excelsior
 
Quote:

Kruezerman wrote: (Post 8129050)
And don't forget, the original Enterprise left the galaxy and the Enterprise-A went to the center!

I've always imagined that the original Enterprise left the galaxy by traveling perpendicular to the galactic plane - up or down, not out to the rim.

As for going to the center: the less you think about The Final Frontier, the better.

anothertrekfan May 21 2013 06:12 PM

Re: Transwarp drive: Vengeance = Excelsior
 
Quote:

Third Nacelle wrote: (Post 8129521)
Quote:

Kruezerman wrote: (Post 8129050)
And don't forget, the original Enterprise left the galaxy and the Enterprise-A went to the center!

I've always imagined that the original Enterprise left the galaxy by traveling perpendicular to the galactic plane - up or down, not out to the rim.

As for going to the center: the less you think about The Final Frontier, the better.

:guffaw:

So true.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.