The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   The Next Generation (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Behr/Moore Interview: [Picard] doesn't do enough f**king and fighting (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=213346)

FrontierTrek May 18 2013 12:59 AM

Behr/Moore Interview: [Picard] doesn't do enough f**king and fighting
 
Hey all! We've just published a two-part on-camera interview with writing/producing duo Ira Steven Behr and Ronald D. Moore.

There's some TNG gold in there which I know people will enjoy hearing. Some of the points covered:

* Ira's panicked first assignment on the job where he's told to write a treatment for Season 3's "The Hunted" but struggles to understand what a Jefferies Tube is!
* Ron rushing out scripts as fast he can to get his first episode nailed, until he's told by Michael Piller "You don't have to do it THIS fast!"
* Ira's battle with "Captain's Holiday". His original script was rejected by Gene, who went CRAZY demanding instead to "Get the captain laid!" "Patrick wants to get laid; he doesn't do enough f---ing and fighting, you gotta get him laid!"

There's lots of other great nuggets in the interview, so check it out - it's available to watch as a video or you can read the transcript:

Part 1 - http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/05/exc...erview-part-i/
Part 2 - http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/05/exc...rview-part-ii/

JirinPanthosa May 18 2013 01:58 AM

Re: Behr/Moore Interview: [Picard] doesn't do enough f**king and fight
 
I'm surprised to hear them call season 3 this terrible, chaotic season when I consider it one of the best in ST history.

R. Star May 18 2013 04:56 AM

Re: Behr/Moore Interview: [Picard] doesn't do enough f**king and fight
 
All the attempts to turn Picard into an action hero/sex icon were lame because they don't play to the character's strengths. The man in an inspiriting orator and philosophical intellectual. Not an action hero. Even "Die Hard in Space" was more like Home Alone than a badass taking down his enemies.

DS9forever May 18 2013 09:01 PM

Re: Behr/Moore Interview: [Picard] doesn't do enough f**king and fight
 
Quote:

JirinPanthosa wrote: (Post 8106730)
I'm surprised to hear them call season 3 this terrible, chaotic season when I consider it one of the best in ST history.

You didn't work on the season; they did. It was terrible and chaotic for them.

Salinga May 19 2013 05:27 PM

Re: Behr/Moore Interview: [Picard] doesn't do enough f**king and fight
 
A good season probably needs a little chaos in the background, because it makes the production department not think too much about stories and consequences - they just do them, so they have something on the screen. :) And thus they are willing to risk more, because they dont overthink much.

Dream May 19 2013 05:37 PM

Re: Behr/Moore Interview: [Picard] doesn't do enough f**king and fight
 
I happen to like the fact that Picard was more interested in reading a good book while on Risa. It was funny.

Ain Jalut May 19 2013 10:32 PM

Re: Behr/Moore Interview: [Picard] doesn't do enough f**king and fight
 
Quote:

R. Star wrote: (Post 8107717)
All the attempts to turn Picard into an action hero/sex icon were lame because they don't play to the character's strengths. The man in an inspiriting orator and philosophical intellectual. Not an action hero. Even "Die Hard in Space" was more like Home Alone than a badass taking down his enemies.

His other romance was well done. Not the one with Vash or Beverly. The one with one of his subordinates.

BillJ May 21 2013 01:44 AM

Re: Behr/Moore Interview: [Picard] doesn't do enough f**king and fight
 
Picard isn't Kirk.

JirinPanthosa May 21 2013 01:50 AM

Re: Behr/Moore Interview: [Picard] doesn't do enough f**king and fight
 
I think Vash is the perfect occasional one night stand for Picard.

I agree Daren was done believably, but the episode itself was kind of boring.

sjsharksfan39 May 21 2013 01:55 AM

Re: Behr/Moore Interview: [Picard] doesn't do enough f**king and fight
 
Quote:

BillJ wrote: (Post 8125981)
Picard isn't Kirk.

Thank You.

I'm getting tired of everyone seemingly imitating Kirk. Hell, I might start getting tired of Kirk himself. If there was one thing I loved in Season 3 it was that Picard was the ultimate diplomat. He averted war with the Romulans twice, he pretty much told the Shiliak, via the treaty they signed, to go F off, and he had the strength to fight the Borg while assimilated. There are more things he's done, but truth be told, Picard was a badass who didn't need to resort to ass-kicking. I liked Kirk and Sisko a lot, but Picard was a great leader who I would gladly serve under. Of course in war, Kirk and Sisko offered protection and safety, but I would hope in the 24th century there would be more peace than war.

R. Star May 21 2013 01:56 AM

Re: Behr/Moore Interview: [Picard] doesn't do enough f**king and fight
 
Quote:

Ain Jalut wrote: (Post 8118598)
Quote:

R. Star wrote: (Post 8107717)
All the attempts to turn Picard into an action hero/sex icon were lame because they don't play to the character's strengths. The man in an inspiriting orator and philosophical intellectual. Not an action hero. Even "Die Hard in Space" was more like Home Alone than a badass taking down his enemies.

His other romance was well done. Not the one with Vash or Beverly. The one with one of his subordinates.

You mean Neela Daren? That was a natural relationship that was sparked over their interests in science and music, even though it was obvious she was a romance of the week. Picard just doesn't make a convincing Alpha male, it's not his style and when they tried to write him that way it really was unnatural.

BillJ May 21 2013 02:05 AM

Re: Behr/Moore Interview: [Picard] doesn't do enough f**king and fight
 
Quote:

tomalak301 wrote: (Post 8126050)
Quote:

BillJ wrote: (Post 8125981)
Picard isn't Kirk.

Thank You.

I'm getting tired of everyone seemingly imitating Kirk. Hell, I might start getting tired of Kirk himself. If there was one thing I loved in Season 3 it was that Picard was the ultimate diplomat. He averted war with the Romulans twice, he pretty much told the Shiliak, via the treaty they signed, to go F off, and he had the strength to fight the Borg while assimilated. There are more things he's done, but truth be told, Picard was a badass who didn't need to resort to ass-kicking. I liked Kirk and Sisko a lot, but Picard was a great leader who I would gladly serve under. Of course in war, Kirk and Sisko offered protection and safety, but I would hope in the 24th century there would be more peace than war.

I love the Jim Kirk character, my favorite in all of Trek. But I love Picard because he is his own man, not a cheap imitation.

Anji May 21 2013 02:36 AM

Re: Behr/Moore Interview: [Picard] doesn't do enough f**king and fight
 
Get your facts straight. Roddenberry didn't say Picard doesn't get laid enough, Patrick Stewart did. If he wanted Picard to be sleeping with a woman in every port he would've designed him that way from the beginning...but he didn't.

Moore is an idiot.

Lance May 21 2013 04:15 AM

Re: Behr/Moore Interview: [Picard] doesn't do enough f**king and fight
 
I get the impression Picard is a "former Kirk". The character backstory does say he had an affair with his best friend's wife, so it isn't like he's Mister Squeaky Clean. It's more that by the time we meet him he's something a dark horse. Outwardly enlightened about the mistakes of his youth, but still harboring some of those impulses somewhere deep inside him.

Dream May 21 2013 04:51 AM

Re: Behr/Moore Interview: [Picard] doesn't do enough f**king and fight
 
Quote:

Lance wrote: (Post 8126851)
I get the impression Picard is a "former Kirk". The character backstory does say he had an affair with his best friend's wife, so it isn't like he's Mister Squeaky Clean. It's more that by the time we meet him he's something a dark horse. Outwardly enlightened about the mistakes of his youth, but still harboring some of those impulses somewhere deep inside him.

There was no affair. The last time I checked, Picard and Beverly were only friends.

Picard lost the "former Kirk" in him the moment he got stabbed in heart by a couple of Nausicaans.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.