The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies XI+ (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   The Mention of [Spoiler] incident (Spoilers? Maybe.) (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=213319)

darkshadow0001 May 17 2013 10:49 PM

The Mention of [Spoiler] incident (Spoilers? Maybe.)
 
Well, it's been a day now since the release of the film, and I don't know if anyone else noticed, but, did anyone notice Sulu mentioning the name Mudd? Could it have anything to do with maybe Mudd being in the third movie (if one is being made)?

Kelso May 17 2013 11:00 PM

Re: The Mention of Mudd (Spoilers? Maybe.)
 
The Mudd thing happened in the Countdown to Darkness comic series.

Shamrock Bones May 17 2013 11:05 PM

Re: The Mention of Mudd (Spoilers? Maybe.)
 
^ Yeah, it was a nod to the prequel comic, and the "Mudd" there was actually Harry Mudd's daughter.


PsychoPere May 20 2013 02:43 AM

Re: The Mention of [Spoiler] incident (Spoilers? Maybe.)
 
It wasn't a nod to the comic, but from the comic to the movie. From early on, it was said that the ST Ongoing comic series would have various nods and easter eggs to STID, and these are two examples of that practice. Including Mudd in the Countdown to Darkess story arc explained the comment about "the Mudd incident," as well as showing how the Enterprise came to have a civilian ship onboard for use in the mission to Qo'noS.

billcosby May 21 2013 12:18 AM

Re: The Mention of [Spoiler] incident (Spoilers? Maybe.)
 
I think the reference you heard was for them specifically to use that circular civilian ship to go to Kronos because they wanted to disguise the fact they were from Starfleet. The one Kirk crams through the crevice. "It will fit!" / "No, it won't!"
That ship is Mudd's civilian ship. Sixth image down:
http://trekmovie.com/2013/05/17/scot...scenes-images/

Christopher May 21 2013 12:48 AM

Re: The Mention of [Spoiler] incident (Spoilers? Maybe.)
 
Quote:

PsychoPere wrote: (Post 8120335)
It wasn't a nod to the comic, but from the comic to the movie.

Right. I'm sure the scriptwriters intended it to be a reference to Harry Mudd, but for whatever reason, the creators of Countdown to Darkness chose to interpret it very differently, including a blond Bajoran woman who was named Mudd for reasons that were never explained.

The Wormhole May 21 2013 12:59 AM

Re: The Mention of [Spoiler] incident (Spoilers? Maybe.)
 
And I still don't get why they felt compelled to make her Bajoran. She could have been human and you'd have the exact same story.

ATimson May 21 2013 04:00 AM

Re: The Mention of [Spoiler] incident (Spoilers? Maybe.)
 
Quote:

The Wormhole wrote: (Post 8125768)
And I still don't get why they felt compelled to make her Bajoran. She could have been human and you'd have the exact same story.

Art error. At least, I'm going to keep assuming that until they give us text that she's Bajoran.

The Wormhole May 21 2013 02:42 PM

Re: The Mention of [Spoiler] incident (Spoilers? Maybe.)
 
A likely explanation, backed up by the numerous other ar errors IDW has had in their comics, like using the TMP-TUC era Enterprise with the registry number "NCC-1701-D." Still, that's one hell of an error.

starburst May 21 2013 04:57 PM

Re: The Mention of [Spoiler] incident (Spoilers? Maybe.)
 
Quote:

Christopher wrote: (Post 8125717)
Quote:

PsychoPere wrote: (Post 8120335)
It wasn't a nod to the comic, but from the comic to the movie.

Right. I'm sure the scriptwriters intended it to be a reference to Harry Mudd, but for whatever reason, the creators of Countdown to Darkness chose to interpret it very differently, including a blond Bajoran woman who was named Mudd for reasons that were never explained.

Orici oversaw the comics, so I would take the reference to mean the Mudd from the adventure which led up to the film meaning he was fine with this Mudd being different from the Mudd everyone knows. Was it confirmed in the comic that she was supposed to be his daughter?

Christopher May 21 2013 05:03 PM

Re: The Mention of [Spoiler] incident (Spoilers? Maybe.)
 
Quote:

starburst wrote: (Post 8129182)
Orici oversaw the comics, so I would take the reference to mean the Mudd from the adventure which led up to the film meaning he was fine with this Mudd being different from the Mudd everyone knows.

Orci is credited as overseeing the comics, but given his other responsibilities, and given how many mistakes and inconsistencies have cropped up in the comics, it seems unlikely that he supervises them as closely as the publicity implies. More likely he gives the writer a list of elements to incorporate (e.g. "Introduce a civilian scout ship belonging to Mudd"), approves the outline, that sort of thing. Evidently he didn't object to turning Mudd into a Bajoran woman, but that doesn't mean it's what the scriptwriters had in mind when they originally wrote that line. It just means that it didn't matter to the film one way or the other.

Quote:

Was it confirmed in the comic that she was supposed to be his daughter?
Nope. For all we know, she's a completely unrelated character and Mudd just happens to be a Bajoran name.

DiscountKlingon May 21 2013 05:09 PM

Re: The Mention of [Spoiler] incident (Spoilers? Maybe.)
 
Quote:

Christopher wrote: (Post 8129224)
Quote:

starburst wrote: (Post 8129182)
Orici oversaw the comics, so I would take the reference to mean the Mudd from the adventure which led up to the film meaning he was fine with this Mudd being different from the Mudd everyone knows.

Orci is credited as overseeing the comics, but given his other responsibilities, and given how many mistakes and inconsistencies have cropped up in the comics, it seems unlikely that he supervises them as closely as the publicity implies. More likely he gives the writer a list of elements to incorporate (e.g. "Introduce a civilian scout ship belonging to Mudd"), approves the outline, that sort of thing. Evidently he didn't object to turning Mudd into a Bajoran woman, but that doesn't mean it's what the scriptwriters had in mind when they originally wrote that line. It just means that it didn't matter to the film one way or the other.

Quote:

Was it confirmed in the comic that she was supposed to be his daughter?
Nope. For all we know, she's a completely unrelated character and Mudd just happens to be a Bajoran name.

For that matter, it is not even explicitly stated in the comic that Mudd IS a Bajoran, it's just inferred because of the nose ridges.

Oso Blanco May 21 2013 05:29 PM

Re: The Mention of [Spoiler] incident (Spoilers? Maybe.)
 
Her father was mentioned in the comics, and it was strongly implied that it's Harry Mudd.

Christopher May 21 2013 05:45 PM

Re: The Mention of [Spoiler] incident (Spoilers? Maybe.)
 
It's worth mentioning that Roger C. Carmel was (surprisingly) only 33 years old when he first played Harry Mudd. If Harry was the same age as his portrayer, he would've been born in the same year as Kirk, and couldn't possibly have an adult daughter in 2259. Let's see, if we assume the female Mudd was, say, 23, and Harry was, say, 20 when he had her, then he would've had to be 50 years old when we met him in "Mudd's Women." But Harry never struck me as being more than 40-something. It's not completely impossible, but it seems unlikely.

The Wormhole May 21 2013 06:35 PM

Re: The Mention of [Spoiler] incident (Spoilers? Maybe.)
 
Quote:

DiscountKlingon wrote: (Post 8129254)
Quote:

Christopher wrote: (Post 8129224)
Quote:

starburst wrote: (Post 8129182)
Orici oversaw the comics, so I would take the reference to mean the Mudd from the adventure which led up to the film meaning he was fine with this Mudd being different from the Mudd everyone knows.

Orci is credited as overseeing the comics, but given his other responsibilities, and given how many mistakes and inconsistencies have cropped up in the comics, it seems unlikely that he supervises them as closely as the publicity implies. More likely he gives the writer a list of elements to incorporate (e.g. "Introduce a civilian scout ship belonging to Mudd"), approves the outline, that sort of thing. Evidently he didn't object to turning Mudd into a Bajoran woman, but that doesn't mean it's what the scriptwriters had in mind when they originally wrote that line. It just means that it didn't matter to the film one way or the other.

Quote:

Was it confirmed in the comic that she was supposed to be his daughter?
Nope. For all we know, she's a completely unrelated character and Mudd just happens to be a Bajoran name.

For that matter, it is not even explicitly stated in the comic that Mudd IS a Bajoran, it's just inferred because of the nose ridges.

She also wears a Bajoran earring.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.