The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Future of Trek (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Plans for new Trek Series Killed by CBS/Paramount Rights Issue (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=213244)

trekker670 May 17 2013 02:54 PM

Plans for new Trek Series Killed by CBS/Paramount Rights Issue

Interview with JJ and story found in the link:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/...r-trek-tv-show

C.E. Evans May 17 2013 04:37 PM

Re: Plans for new Trek Series Killed by CBS/Paramount Rights Issue

There's so much factually wrong with the article it isn't even funny.

It's an editorial by someone who really doesn't know what's going on or who has the rights to do what.

Admiral Buzzkill May 17 2013 05:18 PM

CBS management couldn't find their asses with both hands as far as Star Trek is concerned. As long as Trek is owned by them I'd just as soon they don't do another TV series; they'll drag the Franchise down.

Tracer Bullet May 17 2013 05:52 PM

The article aside, which is vague on details, I would prefer to see Abrams and Kurtzman & Orci kept away from televised Trek.

billcosby May 17 2013 06:30 PM

Agree with the top two posts, but it essentially spells out "never" because why would CBS sell it? They wouldn't. In a way, the films are "episodic"... it's just that they come out few and far between, every 4 years or longer.

AviTrek May 17 2013 07:21 PM

I don't know the credibility of The Wrap, and the story goes against what Abrams and Co. said publicly in 2009. But if it's true, then it raises doubts about any tv series spun-off from the movies.

On the flip side, if it's true and CBS still sees value in the original universe, then there is a chance a new show could be set there.

Chrono85 May 18 2013 04:15 PM

I don't know, that article made it seem like a new TV series could become a reality in the future. I sure would like to see some more Trek :) It would be awesome to have that and the proposed live action Star Wars series on TV, but not in the same time slot ;).

C.E. Evans May 18 2013 04:21 PM

I have no doubt that there will be a new Star Trek TV series one day, but it may be later rather than sooner, IMO.

Galactic Alignment June 1 2013 02:03 AM

Quote:

C.E. Evans wrote: (Post 8110006)
I have no doubt that there will be a new Star Trek TV series one day, but it may be later rather than sooner, IMO.

We'll get one one day, eventually, but not in this current decade. That's my view.

throwback June 1 2013 02:55 AM

I think that CBS has done good with TNG and, to a lesser extent, TOS. When they make a mistake, like what happen with season 2 of TNG, they work to ensure that there isn't a repeat.

AviTrek June 2 2013 03:11 AM

Quote:

throwback wrote: (Post 8183701)
I think that CBS has done good with TNG and, to a lesser extent, TOS. When they make a mistake, like what happen with season 2 of TNG, they work to ensure that there isn't a repeat.

You realized the current CBS had nothing to do with TNG, and even less to do with TOS.

Harvey June 2 2013 05:18 PM

throwback is talking about the issues with the HD resoration of season two, not the content produced for television 25 years ago.

137th Gebirg June 11 2013 07:21 PM

Haven't seen any of the TNG restorations yet, but I thought the TOS ones were quite good. What went wrong with TNG Season 2?

BillJ June 11 2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

137th Gebirg wrote: (Post 8233378)
Haven't seen any of the TNG restorations yet, but I thought the TOS ones were quite good. What went wrong with TNG Season 2?

Switched effects houses so they could crank the work out quicker and the product suffered.

137th Gebirg June 11 2013 08:28 PM

Ah - I see. Was that rectified from Season 3 on (I think they're up to S5 now) or has it continued to be lackluster since the switch-over?