The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   The Next Generation (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Counselor Deanna Troi (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=213043)

Portal May 16 2013 05:26 PM

Counselor Deanna Troi

Does anybody know what kind of accent she has?

When she speaks she sounds just a little bit different, but I can't put my finger on it.

GameOn May 16 2013 05:49 PM

Re: Counselor Deanna Troi

It's supposed to be a mix of eastern European and Hebrew.

Lance May 16 2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Portal wrote: (Post 8097481)
Does anybody know what kind of accent she has?

A bad one. ;)

Savage Dragon May 16 2013 07:29 PM

As I understand it Marina Sirtis tried to cultivate an exotic accent befitting her alien heritage.

jimbotron May 16 2013 07:34 PM

I liked it. It's a shame she got lazy and dropped it in Insurrection and Nemesis.

I forget, did we ever hear Deanna's father speak in a recording? Because she obviously didn't get her accent from her mother. :lol:

Savage Dragon May 16 2013 07:37 PM

^Yeah, that's the weird thing about her accent. You'd think she would sound like her parents.

Lance May 16 2013 07:43 PM

Quote:

TheSeeker wrote: (Post 8098081)
As I understand it Marina Sirtis tried to cultivate an exotic accent befitting her alien heritage.

This is what I've always assumed too.

If so, the fault truly lies with Mrs Roddenberry refusing to do the same accent in "Haven". That whole 'Your accent reminds me of your father' line was clearly nothing more than an obvious ass-pull to help explain away Majel's laziness. :vulcan:

Third Nacelle May 16 2013 07:46 PM

We saw Deanna speaking with her father in an illusion in her mother's mind (damn telepaths!) and he has no accent either.

Maybe the reason that Deanna has an accent and Lwaxana does not is that Deanna is actually speaking English, and Lwaxana is speaking Betazoid, and we hear her through the universal translator.

marksound May 16 2013 07:51 PM

Accent? I was busy looking at her boobs. :lol:

Savage Dragon May 16 2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Third Nacelle wrote: (Post 8098198)
We saw Deanna speaking with her father in an illusion in her mother's mind (damn telepaths!) and he has no accent either.

Maybe the reason that Deanna has an accent and Lwaxana does not is that Deanna is actually speaking English, and Lwaxana is speaking Betazoid, and we hear her through the universal translator.

That's a good thought, but you'd think being a telepath she'd be able to learn a language pretty quickly though. At least that's how I see it.

Lance May 16 2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Carcazoid wrote: (Post 8098231)

If Gene Roddenberry had got his way, you'd have had three of them to look at. ;)

Third Nacelle May 16 2013 08:01 PM

Quote:

TheSeeker wrote: (Post 8098249)
Quote:

That's a good thought, but you'd think being a telepath she'd be able to learn a language pretty quickly though. At least that's how I see it.

Being able to learn a language and being willing to speak it are two entirely different things. Given Lwaxana's personality, I wouldn't be surprised if she felt her language was the official language of whatever room she walked into.

R. Star May 16 2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Lance wrote: (Post 8098252)
Quote:

Carcazoid wrote: (Post 8098231)

If Gene Roddenberry had got his way, you'd have had three of them to look at. ;)

Sonya Gomez's actress had three boobs in Total Recall.

Doug Otte May 16 2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

No accent? Everybody has an accent.

Troi's parents seemed to have American accents; Troi had a mixture of Sirtis' British accent w/ some vague European stuff thrown in.

Still, I enjoyed it when not comparing it to her parents' accents.

Draculasaurus May 16 2013 08:34 PM

Troi always sounds just a little tipsy to me. like- a couple of glasses of chardonnay.