The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   General Trek Discussion (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   New Slate Article Covers Whole Frachise (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=213001)

ZapBrannigan May 16 2013 07:16 AM

New Slate Article Covers Whole Frachise

This Slate article is an engaging look at the whole history of Star Trek:

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/t..._best_why.html

It's a good read even if you don't agree with all its conclusions.

Third Nacelle May 16 2013 07:44 AM

Re: New Slate Article Covers Whole Frachise

Pretty good article. Though I can't possibly agree with Mr. Yglesias' ranking Nemesis higher than The Motion Picture.

I do agree with his conclusion that Star Trek belongs on television rather than the big screen.

T'Girl May 16 2013 07:47 AM

The new ship has been equipped with a holodeck, an entertainment device that ... proves a dangerous tool in the hands of lazy writers.

:lol::lol::lol: :lol::lol::lol: :lol::lol::lol: :lol::lol::lol:

Tracer Bullet May 16 2013 02:19 PM

I liked the article, but I think he oversells TNG as the best representative of what Trek is. It's a good example of a certain kind of Trek, but it's different from TOS and DS9. I don't think any one Trek series can possibly encapsulate all of Trek--it's too diffuse.

Dale Sams May 18 2013 04:43 PM

He ranked Voyager ahead of TOS?

Respect lost forever.

Tora Ziyal May 18 2013 07:56 PM

I don't agree with all of it, especially the rankings. But, yes, a very good read. Thanks for posting it.

DS9forever May 18 2013 08:59 PM

I actually agree that Nemesis is better than the Motion Picture; Nemesis is quick, bombastic and kind of dumb; TMP is slow and preachy.

Sci May 18 2013 09:40 PM

While I think Yglesias is fair in noting that ST09 was a very violent film even while Trek's general philosophy is one of the desire to avoid violence and gunboat diplomacy whenever possible, I disagree with his assertion that ST09 had no distinctly Trekian themes. It was, in the form of Kirk and Spock's arcs, a movie about learning to see past our differences, cultural and personal, and learning to work together for the common good.

ETA:

Interesting section:

"Nicholas Meyer, writer and director of the best Star Trek movies, once wrote that 'at its absolute worst, Star Trek is a plaid-pants, golf-course Republican version of the future where white men and American values always predominate (despite blatant tokenism), and gunboat diplomacy carries the day.' And perhaps that’s true—when the show was at its worst. But at its best, the Original Series reflected not plaid-pants arrogance but Great Society optimism."

I think there's some truth to what Meyer (and, implicitly, Yglesias) say about Trek at its worst. But I think they exaggerate too much -- to me, Trek at its worst seems to embody more the '60s Kennedy Democratic establishment than "a golf-course Republican version of the future." Unless Meyer is thinking more Nelson Rockefeller than Ronald Reagan (or, for that matter, Sarah Palin).

JirinPanthosa May 19 2013 03:52 AM

Yeah, I hate it when people flippantly refer to equality, multiculturalism, democracy and individualism as 'Western values'.

If anything that attitude is thinly veiled exoticism, and insulting toward all the people living in Eastern countries who are fighting for their basic human rights against dictatorships who force on them the opposite of said values.

I agree with most of the things that article says about the series, but not necessarily his opinion of the individual shows.

R. Star May 19 2013 03:59 AM

Quote:

Dale Sams wrote: (Post 8110075)
He ranked Voyager ahead of TOS?

Respect lost forever.

So anyone who has a different opinion than you personally is not worthy of any respect whatsoever? A bit harsh.

teacake May 19 2013 04:09 AM

LOL the Janeway photo the article uses is of her rolling her eyes.

R. Star May 19 2013 04:19 AM

Yeah I noticed that! Looked like she was just thinking "you're putting me next to -these- bums?"

teacake May 19 2013 04:26 AM

Hoshi Sato as one of the 10 best Star Trek crew members?

DarKush May 19 2013 04:35 AM

Interesting article. Don't agree with all of his conclusions ("Far Beyond the Stars" bizarre? or Voyager trying to recapture TOS's spirit?) but it was a nice covering of all the series.

R. Star May 19 2013 05:10 AM

Well I'll agree with him about Far Beyond the Stars being bizarre. The episode had a great message, but it was really out of place with the rest of the context of DS9. I'd wonder if this episode was a star demand by Avery Brooks as he seems to have played a lot of civil rights roles over his acting career.