The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   TV & Media (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Mr. Selfridge - Anyone else watching? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=212962)

Tom Hendricks May 15 2013 10:21 PM

Mr. Selfridge - Anyone else watching?

I haven't watched Downton Abbey or anything else like that. However I have been watching Mr. Selfridge and I consider it fantastic tv, in fact one of the best shows I have ever watched. The acting is amazing, across the board. Jeremy Piven is great as HG Selfridge. If you get a chance and like Downton Abbey kind of stuff, I recommend watching it.

JoeZhang May 15 2013 10:25 PM

Re: Mr. Selfridge - Anyone else watching?

I thought it was a very odd show - Piven seemed to wander in from an entirely different show - one where he and his choppers shared top billing and chewing the scenery was the order of the day.

auntiehill May 15 2013 10:51 PM

I think it is a wonderful show. Selfridge was indeed a very different character---a true PT Barnum type that really stood out in London--or anywhere else, for that matter.

Oddly enough, I think this is actually one of the most subdued performances Piven has given; I always think he's a bit over the top. However, he's a perfect match for the character, as the real Mr. Selfridge was nothing but over the top, at least for his time, anyway.

I find all the little aspects of the store really interesting--perhaps because I worked retail for so many years.

Winged Victory May 17 2013 11:46 PM

It's my appointment TV Sunday nights. Great acting and I love the period. Worth watching just for the eye candy! (Piven, the waiters, the French guy, ooh la la...:drool:)

auntiehill May 19 2013 05:13 AM

The season finale is tomorrow; I can't wait to see it!

JoeZhang May 19 2013 02:12 PM

Have you guys had the paradise yet? If you like this, you will like that.

auntiehill May 19 2013 06:07 PM

Don't think so. After checking Wiki, I can't say it sounds familiar. I'll keep an eye out in case it pops up. Thanks for the recommendation!

Emh May 19 2013 10:49 PM

I hadn't heard about this show until now. I love Jeremy Piven and the premise sounds interesting so I'll have to check it out when I get the chance.

Tom Hendricks May 21 2013 03:05 AM

Quote:

Emh wrote: (Post 8118694)
I hadn't heard about this show until now. I love Jeremy Piven and the premise sounds interesting so I'll have to check it out when I get the chance.

It's well worth the watch. So if you get a chance to see it, I highly recommend it. I have the last episode on the DVR, probably won't get to see it for a few days and its killing me.

auntiehill May 21 2013 05:31 AM

I still have only watched the first half of the season finale; the rest will have to wait until tomorrow.

But one thing is for sure....Mr. Grove is a total bastard. :klingon:

And clearly the actress who plays sweet Doris is pregnant; I find it amusing the way that boxes and mannequins magically appear in front of her. :lol:

Serial thread killer May 21 2013 05:54 PM

I think the show needs a bigger wardrobe budget, Women like lady Mae would only wear the same dress a few times,yet she's wearing the same thing all the time.

auntiehill May 22 2013 04:57 AM

OK, finally watched the last of it.

WOW. I felt really sorry for Rose; I knew it was coming but to have it happen right in front of her daughter was awful.

I like how they ended it, with Harry getting that grin on his face; clearly, he has a plan.

So, the next season skips ahead a few years and puts us in WWI. That will definitely ratchet the drama up a notch.

auntiehill May 22 2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

Serial thread killer wrote: (Post 8129488)
I think the show needs a bigger wardrobe budget, Women like lady Mae would only wear the same dress a few times,yet she's wearing the same thing all the time.

I hadn't noticed that. We've seen her in green, gold, white, purple, etc. But she does always wear those ridiculous hats, as made fun of in the play.

The one who I think has the limited wardrobe is Rose. She's Harry's wife so you'd think her clothes would be fantastic. However, 9 times out of 10, she's wearing a white blouse and long while skirt. Seems kind of dull.

Tom Hendricks May 22 2013 11:27 PM

I finally watched the final episode today, it was so good! My favorite line was "This is a department store, not a dictatorship." So much going on, especially with the King visiting the store.

However I was really disappointed in Mr. Grove and what he did to Miss Mardle, I thought he was more honorable man then I guess what he is.

Winged Victory May 23 2013 12:27 AM

Quote:

Tom Hendricks wrote: (Post 8137759)
However I was really disappointed in Mr. Grove and what he did to Miss Mardle, I thought he was more honorable man then I guess what he is.

Me too! He could have let her know before she found out from Daisy. Pretty heartless what he did.

I can't wait for next season! :)