The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies XI+ (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Question about [a planet] in Into Darkness (SPOILERS). (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=212782)

Austin 3:16 May 14 2013 10:51 AM

Question about [a planet] in Into Darkness (SPOILERS).

I wouldn't really count this as a spoiler, since it's just a question about looks.

My question is, does the surface of Qo'noS look like how it did on TNG/DS9? Was just wondering. Thanks.

lvsxy808 May 14 2013 10:56 AM

Re: Question about [a planet] in Into Darkness (SPOILERS).

I don't know that we ever saw the surface in TNG/DS9 to compare, did we?

There was "Sins of the Father," but that was the First City. What we see in STiD is specifically described as being an uninhabited wilderness, not a city, so it wouldn't be the same anyway.

FreddyE May 14 2013 11:34 AM

Oh...and apperantly when new timelines are created, then the correct spelling of stuff changes to. It was "Kronos" on screen ;-)

Locutus of Bored May 14 2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Austin 3:16 wrote: (Post 8085994)
I wouldn't really count this as a spoiler, since it's just a question about looks.

Just the same, I concealed the name in the title and spoiler tagged it for people who have been avoiding the trailers and other info.

Quote:

FreddyE wrote: (Post 8086066)
Oh...and apperantly when new timelines are created, then the correct spelling of stuff changes to. It was "Kronos" on screen ;-)

That's neither a new thing or a mistake, though.

Quote:

Qo'noS (transliterated to Kronos in English)

The Klingon homeworld remained canonically unnamed until Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, in which it was identified as "Kronos", spelled that way in the film's script. The spelling "Kronos" was also used in most of the scripts of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine episodes. It was also used in the script of the Star Trek: Enterprise episode "Broken Bow". According to the pronunciation guide in the script of DS9: "Tears of the Prophets", KRO-nos is the phonetic spelling of "Kronos".

"Chronos" was a more rare alternative spelling used in the scripts of only two Star Trek: Deep Space Nine episodes, "Once More Unto the Breach" and "Extreme Measures" The spelling "Kronos" was however identified as the correct one, when it was seen on screen in Star Trek Into Darkness.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Kronos_One

Count Zero May 14 2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Austin 3:16 wrote: (Post 8085994)

My question is, does the surface of Qo'noS look like how it did on TNG/DS9? Was just wondering. Thanks.

Hard to tell because we only saw a region of the planet (namely Ketha province, home of Martok) up close that we haven't seen before. It did look sufficiently Klingon to me, though.

Phily B May 14 2013 03:33 PM

I always thought that after TUC it was a different Kronos? Or was that a fan thing?

Count Zero May 14 2013 05:06 PM

That was a fan thing or a book thing. In Star Trek VI there is some talk about a possible evacuation of the Klingon homeworld but it was never mentioned again. In TNG some parts of the capital are supposed to be very old so it doesn't seem likely it's a newly settled planet.

Agent Richard07 May 16 2013 04:16 PM

We saw that a fragmented moon had impacted Kronos. With that in mind, it looked to me like the surface had been devastated. Maybe the mining accident from Star Trek VI came early in this timeline and the empire is in a bit of trouble.

King Daniel Into Darkness May 16 2013 05:11 PM

I wonder if Nero destroyed Praxis with a frakton of cluster missiles on his way out of Klingon space?

Kronos did appear to be mid-apocalypse when Kirk and co. came to get Khan, with the ash raining down.

foreverton May 16 2013 07:05 PM

Are we of the consensus that the fractured moon likely was Praxis?

Awesome Possum May 16 2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

foreverton wrote: (Post 8097919)
Are we of the consensus that the fractured moon likely was Praxis?

I don't recall there being any other moons nearby and I don't know if their world has multiple moons.

J. Allen May 16 2013 08:06 PM

I took it as being Praxis.
As for Kronos, it looked like the Klingon homeworld to me.

SpHeRe31459 May 16 2013 11:25 PM

If you read through the blacked out (redacted) text in the "leaked" Harrison bulletin there a reference to a "Praxxis Project" there is an extra "x" in the name but it seems Section 31 may have sent Harrison out to do something to cause Praxis to explode earlier than in the main timeline.
http://trekmovie.com/2013/05/15/trek...ss-viral-site/

Belz... May 19 2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

J. Allen wrote: (Post 8098354)
I took it as being Praxis.

Me too. The resemblance can't be accidental. It's early for it to look that way but, really, I don't care.

The Keeper May 19 2013 06:11 PM

I don't recall seeing a clear shot of the 'homeworld', just the scenes inside those ruins[?] where the fight happened. I need to see it again.:D

On the Praxis sub-topic, that blown out planetiod instantly reminded me of this

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__..._destroyed.jpg