The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies XI+ (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   International box office thread (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=212551)

USSPhilippi May 12 2013 05:02 PM

International box office thread

BoxOffice.com reports on Into Darkness' international opening .... $31.7 million from 7 markets.

https://www.facebook.com/boxoffice/p...43459262359159

You can see this post even if you are not logged into Facebook ... I just tested it.

Phily B May 12 2013 05:10 PM

Re: International box office thread

Quote:

The U.K. led with $13.3 million from 556 locations, 50 percent better than the 2009 reboot. Into Darkness also dominated the market in Germany, grossing $7.6 million from 627 locations, 80 percent better. Australia took in $5.5 million from 263 locations, followed by Mexico with $3 million from 573 locations.
Not looking too bad, but I think the domestic will be the main take this time.

King Daniel Into Darkness May 12 2013 05:11 PM

I've only seen a couple of commercials on TV for Into Darkness, and when I saw it at midday on the 9th in 2D, there were a grand total of 14 other people watching.

Last night BBC2 buried Trek with "The Star Trek Story", a documentry from 1998 which depicted Trek fans and even actors as freaks and curiousities. I don't think the film is gonna do very well here. :(

CommanderRaytas May 12 2013 05:18 PM

I don't know. The cinema I went to was totally packed.

Phily B May 12 2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

King Daniel wrote: (Post 8077084)
I've only seen a couple of commercials on TV for Into Darkness, and when I saw it at midday on the 9th in 2D, there were a grand total of 14 other people watching.

Last night BBC2 buried Trek with "The Star Trek Story", a documentry from 1998 which depicted Trek fans and even actors as freaks and curiousities. I don't think the film is gonna do very well here. :(

Most people are at work! The midnight showing, and evening showings were sold out here. 50% better than ST09 is good, especially considering it did relatively well in the UK.

King Daniel Into Darkness May 12 2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Phily B wrote: (Post 8077132)
Most people are at work!

VERY good point. But, dammit, it's Star Trek! Everyone should take the day off!:lol:
Quote:

The midnight showing, and evening showings were sold out here. 50% better than ST09 is good, especially considering it did relatively well in the UK.
I really hope so.:techman:

Phily B May 12 2013 05:38 PM

I went to the mid-day showing and there were about 20-30 people? I didn't really count, but most were blatantly Trekkies :D

I think that OS will be disappointing again, but much better than 09. Not sure what affect on a possible sequel that would have.

CommanderRaytas May 12 2013 05:46 PM

I won't worry about a sequel at this point. I'm just happy they made a film I think is awesome, and I'm hoping many other people will feel this way about it, too.

3chordboy May 12 2013 05:56 PM

it was relatively quiet when i went on 9th but when i went again on Saturday it was much busier. surprisingly high female and family turnout actually

MacLeod May 12 2013 06:03 PM

Quote:

Phily B wrote: (Post 8077078)
Quote:

The U.K. led with $13.3 million from 556 locations, 50 percent better than the 2009 reboot. Into Darkness also dominated the market in Germany, grossing $7.6 million from 627 locations, 80 percent better. Australia took in $5.5 million from 263 locations, followed by Mexico with $3 million from 573 locations.
Not looking too bad, but I think the domestic will be the main take this time.

Well US$13.3m in the UK represents about a third of what the 09 film took (US$35.4m). But then again the UK accounted for about 28% of the non USA/Canada takings.

Flake May 12 2013 06:05 PM

Advertising has been very very poor in the uk. I have been seeing more ads for fast and furious and I remember when oblivion came out that had much more adverts than Star Trek. Still, it has done very well even without the advertising I suppose.

CommanderRaytas May 12 2013 06:22 PM

The German market has been drowned with advertising. People are curious about it. Regular people, not fans. This is good news.

Also, two of the people I went to the cinema with were only there for Cumberbatch, but hey, as long as people go see it, I don't care why.

LOKAI of CHERON May 12 2013 06:28 PM

Hmm, I'm certainly no expert, but based on this - I have a gut feeling STID won't now cross the $500m line worldwide. I think it'll do well - somewhere in the mid to late $400m's, but I think Paramount may be slightly disappointed overall.

Believe me, I really hope I'm proven to be wildly inaccurate here - nothing would please me more.

Phily B May 12 2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: (Post 8077411)
Hmm, I'm certainly no expert, but based on this - I have a gut feeling STID won't now cross the $500m line worldwide. I think it'll do well - somewhere in the mid to late $400m's, but I think Paramount may be slightly disappointed overall.

Believe me, I really hope I'm proven to be wildly inaccurate here - nothing would please me more.

We'll have to wait and see, but 500m would be a great number to hit I think. The early numbers are generally being seen as very good from sites I've read.

MacLeod May 12 2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Flake wrote: (Post 8077303)
Advertising has been very very poor in the uk. I have been seeing more ads for fast and furious and I remember when oblivion came out that had much more adverts than Star Trek. Still, it has done very well even without the advertising I suppose.

I disagree I've seen more adverts for ST:ITD than for "The Fast and Furious". So perhaps it's more down to where you live and what TV channels you watch.