The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies XI+ (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Giacchino/NuTrek theme (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=212473)

Kpnuts May 11 2013 10:48 PM

Giacchino/NuTrek theme
 
Any other people here huge fans of the new Star Trek theme tune (Enterprising Young Men from the last film). Must say I adore it, haven't stopped humming it all day.

I think we're very fortunate to have gotten a catchy top quality tune for NuTrek. It was obviously a tough ask to produce a memorable sound for the reboots but I think Giacchino has struck gold.

Re: Into Darkness, the title card (and what came before but particularly the 30 seconds before) with that booming music is my favourite scene in the, excellent, film :)

3chordboy May 11 2013 11:09 PM

Re: Giacchino/NuTrek theme
 
ha, snap! I love that moment in the film...it's a little bit cheesey but magical at the same time.

my missus came to watch Into Darkness with me today. she's not a Trekkie and on our way home she was humming. i said "do you know what you're doing?".... she was humming the Giacchino nuTrek theme. my work here is done!! :D

Chemahkuu May 11 2013 11:12 PM

Re: Giacchino/NuTrek theme
 
The soundtrack to both films has been excellent, the new overall theme to the films certianly is catchy, the title card for Into Darkness with the Enterprise coasting along is one of the best scenes of modern Trek in general.

Nero's Shadow May 11 2013 11:18 PM

Re: Giacchino/NuTrek theme
 
Quote:

Kpnuts wrote: (Post 8074255)
Any other people here huge fans of the new Star Trek theme tune (Enterprising Young Men from the last film). Must say I adore it, haven't stopped humming it all day.

I think we're very fortunate to have gotten a catchy top quality tune for NuTrek. It was obviously a tough ask to produce a memorable sound for the reboots but I think Giacchino has struck gold.

Re: Into Darkness, the title card (and what came before but particularly the 30 seconds before) with that booming music is my favourite scene in the, excellent, film :)

Still one of my fond memory's of the 2009 movie that music and then the titles pop up bloody jaw dropping and still gives me goose bumps ever time I see and here it !!!

Kpnuts May 11 2013 11:20 PM

Re: Giacchino/NuTrek theme
 
Quote:

Chemahkuu wrote: (Post 8074303)
The soundtrack to both films has been excellent, the new overall theme to the films certianly is catchy, the title card for Into Darkness with the Enterprise coasting along is one of the best scenes of modern Trek in general.

Completely agree. I don't really whoop or shout in the cinema but I was practically punching the air when the title card appeared. Incredible, gave me goosebumps. Didn't think they could top the first film in that regard but this one blew it away.

I love how, well, LOUD JJ and co have made NuTrek, but in a good way. As if it was showing off the Trek name with absolute pride.

3chordboy May 11 2013 11:23 PM

Re: Giacchino/NuTrek theme
 
For me the added warp trail echoed the Classic Trek movies warp streak...was left grinning like an idiot :hugegrin:

Chemahkuu May 11 2013 11:25 PM

Re: Giacchino/NuTrek theme
 
Exactly, the transition to the Enterprise and her triumphant leap to warp with the title card actually emerging from her wake was beautiful. Jaw dropping stuff and just gives you the sort of childish enthusiam that's been missing for years.

Admiral Buzzkill May 11 2013 11:30 PM

Re: Giacchino/NuTrek theme
 
Quote:

Chemahkuu wrote: (Post 8074354)
... just gives you the sort of childish enthusiam that's been missing for years.

That's exactly what the nuTrek movies are doing - giving the audience reasons to be excited about watching a Star Trek movie again. The movie franchise died of ennui.

topas May 11 2013 11:39 PM

Re: Giacchino/NuTrek theme
 
Oh, I'm a huge fan. The soundtrack bits were published before the 2009 movie was, but I kept myself from hearing anything. Good so, as hearing it for the first time in the theatre, just after the very emotional Kelvin sequence (bot me and my wife cried) was insanely intense. Could not resist from thinking it has a slight western-movie undertone when first heard it (well, it's supposed to be a wagon train to the stars, right?) ;) Again, huge fan.

Sometimes I just browse YouTube to see if any talented fans of the theme come up with good arrangements. There's lot's of it for marching bands, orchestras, violin, piano etc... But there's only one that KICKS ASS:

"Enterprising young guitarist" by Matt Blair
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJiVWCOFOkk


:techman:enjoy, as it's worth

The Wormhole May 11 2013 11:45 PM

Re: Giacchino/NuTrek theme
 
Enterprising Young Men is certainly a catchy tune, but I still prefer the music from the other movies. You can't beat TWOK's score.

Kpnuts May 11 2013 11:49 PM

Re: Giacchino/NuTrek theme
 
Love the tic tic tic tic at the beginning

topas May 11 2013 11:51 PM

Re: Giacchino/NuTrek theme
 
Quote:

The Wormhole wrote: (Post 8074444)
Enterprising Young Men is certainly a catchy tune, but I still prefer the music from the other movies. You can't beat TWOK's score.

Each of the classic ones and the new ones are equally enjoyable, on their own terms and out of context (although TMP/TWOK/TUC/2009 remain to be my favorite ones). TVH just did'nt do it for me, TSFS was Horner failing to top himself from TWOK, TFF was just really...like...the movie itself.

Rewatched TWOK with my headphones on just yesterday, and man, it does still give goosebumps and spine-chill after all these years.

MacLeod May 12 2013 12:50 AM

Re: Giacchino/NuTrek theme
 
Quote:

Kpnuts wrote: (Post 8074255)
Any other people here huge fans of the new Star Trek theme tune (Enterprising Young Men from the last film). Must say I adore it, haven't stopped humming it all day.

I think we're very fortunate to have gotten a catchy top quality tune for NuTrek. It was obviously a tough ask to produce a memorable sound for the reboots but I think Giacchino has struck gold.

Re: Into Darkness, the title card (and what came before but particularly the 30 seconds before) with that booming music is my favourite scene in the, excellent, film :)

Entererprising Young Men was definatly one of my favourite tracks of the ST (2009) film

CommanderRaytas May 12 2013 09:45 AM

Re: Giacchino/NuTrek theme
 
Mine, too. I was squeeing throughout the entire film, anyway, but the theme sold the deal for me...that, and Cumberbatch, of course.

Classic Fan May 12 2013 10:20 AM

Re: Giacchino/NuTrek theme
 
When the natives plan drawing of the 'Enterprising God' faded into the ship cruising along in a streaking starfield it screamed classic. So well done. And the title card in its wake and new warp streaks took me back to TOS movies in a way. Rather than dispearing it was a cool little vapour trail esque addition that I loved.


The score for 09 and STID are fantastic. Especially in the opening of 09 when you hear the first few bars, reprised for 'Enterprising young men' and then the kelvin scanner pips. Giachino created an instantly memorable space epic/drama theme for his version of Star Trek. And it worked.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.