The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Doctor Who (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   7X12 Nightmare in Silver(Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS) (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=212449)

Samurai8472 May 11 2013 06:04 PM

7X12 Nightmare in Silver(Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS)

http://i.imgur.com/kWgun4x.jpg

Quote:

Hedgewick’s World of Wonders was once the greatest theme park in the galaxy, but it’s now the dilapidated home to a shabby showman, a chess-playing dwarf and a dysfunctional army platoon.

When the Doctor, Clara, Artie and Angie arrive, the last thing they expect is the re-emergence of one of the Doctor’s oldest foes. The Cybermen are back!
Neil Gaiman returns and with the Cybermen in tow!

Lonemagpie May 11 2013 06:10 PM

Re: 7X12 Nightmare in Silver(Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS)

Could go either way - Neil Gaiman and Cybermen, yay; cutesy kid companions, fuck no!

Bob The Skutter May 11 2013 07:57 PM

It practically screamed Neil Gaiman for all sorts of reasons. Lots of bits I enjoyed but it didn''t translate into an overall enjoyment of the episode.

The Laughing Vulcan May 11 2013 07:58 PM

More Borg than ever, although they walk like Robocop...

Like the episode, though, and Warwick Davis was class!

Captain_Amasov May 11 2013 08:00 PM

I'd like to see those Cybermen fight the Daleks.

JoeZhang May 11 2013 08:03 PM

I didn't think much of it - moreover, more than anything it highlights that Clara doesn't actually have a character beyond being a mystery - tonight's dialogue for her as seasoned military commander just high-lighted what a blank slate she is.

Bob The Skutter May 11 2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

JoeZhang wrote: (Post 8073454)
I didn't think much of it - moreover, more than anything it highlights that Clara doesn't actually have a character beyond being a mystery - tonight's dialogue for her as seasoned military commander just high-lighted what a blank slate she is.

According the prequel she's perfect for the Doctor... Blank Slate who is whoever he says she is?

scnj May 11 2013 08:10 PM

Nice bit of panto from Matt Smith.

JoeZhang May 11 2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

Bob The Skutter wrote: (Post 8073499)
Quote:

According the prequel she's perfect for the Doctor... Blank Slate who is whoever he says she is?

Avoid the actual trailer because.. em.. well it would give the game away if I said any-more.

Bob The Skutter May 11 2013 08:16 PM

Quote:

JoeZhang wrote: (Post 8073517)
Quote:

Quote:

Avoid the actual trailer because.. em.. well it would give the game away if I said any-more.

Must not have been paying attention.

diankra May 11 2013 08:20 PM

OK... far better than the Radio Rimes review suggested, thought I do see what Patrick Mulkern was getting at there - there's a huge number of ideas crammed in, enough for a 60 minuter or even a two parter, and the impressive thing is how few of them get really wasted. And I'd sooner have an episode that is over-ambitious and doesn't deliver 100% on all of its potential than a lazy one that delivers on everything but still doesn't get out of second gear.
IYSWIM...

JoeZhang May 11 2013 08:21 PM

Quote:

Bob The Skutter wrote: (Post 8073556)
Quote:

JoeZhang wrote: (Post 8073517)
Quote:

Must not have been paying attention.

There is an trailer/advert on the BBC website which is different from the Next Time bit we've seen.

diankra May 11 2013 08:51 PM

A prequel to the next episode on the red button: She Said, He Said, with Clara talking about the Doctor as she wanders round momentos of past stories and then the Doctor talking about Clara.

Pindar May 11 2013 09:07 PM

The red button prequel is better than the episode.

The kids were not good, I agree with Bob. Good bits that didn't add up to a good whole.

Average.

JoeZhang May 11 2013 09:17 PM

The one kid pulled the 'Crusher Maneuver' at the end when they worked out who the emperor actually was - they should be shot in the face with an uzi to be sure they don't come back.