The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek - Original Series (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   are the original series blu rays any good? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=212431)

tmosler May 11 2013 04:25 PM

are the original series blu rays any good?

Hi i just have a quick question. I have been watching the next generation blu rays and they look great but i was wondering if the same good treatment was done to the original series blu rays and not like the terrible star trek movie transferrs?

T'Girl May 11 2013 05:08 PM

Re: are the original series blu rays any good?

If you're asking if the blu ray's are significantly better than the pre-blu ray DVD's, I'd say no. There is a incremental improvement in the quality yes, but it isn't the different between night and day.

It's a matter of nuance.

:)

NewHorizon May 11 2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

T'Girl wrote: (Post 8072743)
If you're asking if the blu ray's are significantly better than the pre-blu ray DVD's, I'd say no. There is a incremental improvement in the quality yes, but it isn't the different between night and day.

It's a matter of nuance.

No, they're asking if the hi def transfers were cleaned up as well as TNG, rather than how poorly Paramount scanned the movies.

The answer is yes, the TOS transfers look fantastic. The blurays allow you to choose the original effects or the CGI effects. It's a win for purists and those who want modern CGI.

ConRefit79 May 11 2013 05:16 PM

I didn't have the DVD versions, so I cannot compare. But I bought the Blu-Ray version when they were cheaper. I like them, but have not seen the series with the unmodified effects. But the newer effects work well. The only problem I'm trying to resolve, is how to stop my Blu-Ray player from displaying angle messages when it switches to the modified effects scenes.

BillJ May 11 2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

ConRefit79 wrote: (Post 8072779)
I didn't have the DVD versions, so I cannot compare. But I bought the Blu-Ray version when they were cheaper. I like them, but have not seen the series with the unmodified effects. But the newer effects work well. The only problem I'm trying to resolve, is how to stop my Blu-Ray player from displaying angle messages when it switches to the modified effects scenes.

I have two players and one use to do that and then it quit doing it on its own. :lol:

feek61 May 11 2013 07:19 PM

I have had the TOS series in just about every format it was ever released in. IMO, yes, the blu-rays are amazing. You can't go wrong with them and you can pick them up for just over a hundred bucks. It's a no-brainer; get them.

TREK_GOD_1 May 12 2013 01:56 AM

Yes, the TOS blu rays are beautiful--you see just well that series was produced. I had TOS tapes, laserdiscs, and DVDs, and none come close to the revealing quality of the series on blu ray.

mach7 May 12 2013 02:20 AM

I have TOS on the 2 episode disks and the Bluray packs.

I'll echo what others have said, the Bluray is worth the money.

As said you get both the enhanced and original effects. Also some nice extras.

22 Stars May 12 2013 02:52 AM

Quote:

It's a matter of nuance.

Is this a joke? Comparing the bluray res to the dvd's is not even fair. It's a matter of math, not really subjective.

BillJ May 12 2013 03:42 AM

Quote:

22 Stars wrote: (Post 8074972)
Is this a joke? Comparing the bluray res to the dvd's is not even fair. It's a matter of math, not really subjective.

This.

Though there are some really shitty Blu-ray's out there.

Star Trek on Blu-ray is absolutely worth the price and blows the DVD's out of the water.

Destructor May 12 2013 01:41 PM

The detail on the blu-rays is pretty insane. I love em.

M May 12 2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

If you're asking if the blu ray's are significantly better than the pre-blu ray DVD's, I'd say no.

I'm really sorry, but there must be something wrong with your eyes then, as the picture quality of the live-action footage is actually significantly better than the SD material on the DVDs. It really is the difference between night and day.

Irishman May 12 2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

tmosler wrote: (Post 8072632)
Hi i just have a quick question. I have been watching the next generation blu rays and they look great but i was wondering if the same good treatment was done to the original series blu rays and not like the terrible star trek movie transferrs?

Resolution will see a bump (but not tremendous), and the shots will be inconsistent, as cameras vary (and some are less sharp and grainy than others - when the source is in less-than-stellar shape there's only so much that can be done to extract detail from it). Color depth will improve - simply because the number of colors present in blu-ray far exceeds that in a DVD or streaming HD (if you've seen the TOS-R episodes on Netflix or Hulu+). Audio? For the most part, it's cleaned and levelled. That's about it. They rescored some of the themes and incidental music, but it's a mono track. Only so much.

Harvey May 12 2013 10:39 PM

The picture quality is quite a bit better, but not the revelation that the TNG Blu-Rays are, since the TOS DVDs weren't so bad to begin with. They are much, much better than the DNR'd movie transfers, though.

Mr_Homn May 13 2013 03:56 AM

Quote:

M wrote: (Post 8076391)
Quote:

If you're asking if the blu ray's are significantly better than the pre-blu ray DVD's, I'd say no.

I'm really sorry, but there must be something wrong with your eyes then, as the picture quality of the live-action footage is actually significantly better than the SD material on the DVDs. It really is the difference between night and day.

100 percent agreed.

Anyone who says otherwise needs their eyes checked.