The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies XI+ (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Wait, did this movie [SPOILER] (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=212401)

Destructor May 11 2013 04:43 AM

Wait, did this movie [SPOILER]
 
Apologies if this is a repeat thread, but won't it be difficult to maintain tension in the third film if, whenever someone dies, they can just pull Kahn out of the old freezerino and reanimate whoever kicks the bucket? For that matter, isn't the ability to cure death, in general, something of a big deal? Like, wouldn't all 73 of the frozen supermen be turned into blood farms for the ultimate in cure-all hospitals? I know this is only one of several rather large problems in the plot, but it's sort of bothering me.

trevanian May 11 2013 05:27 AM

Re: Wait, did this movie [SPOILER]
 
Quote:

Destructor wrote: (Post 8071270)
Apologies if this is a repeat thread, but won't it be difficult to maintain tension in the third film if, whenever someone dies, they can just pull Kahn out of the old freezerino and reanimate whoever kicks the bucket? For that matter, isn't the ability to cure death, in general, something of a big deal? Like, wouldn't all 73 of the frozen supermen be turned into blood farms for the ultimate in cure-all hospitals? I know this is only one of several rather large problems in the plot, but it's sort of bothering me.

It sounds like it has the potential to be a bigger deal than the rejuvenation of billions via the Ba'ku world or the Genesis device ... enough to start religious wars even among secular Federationists ...

with all that in mind ... I bet we'll never hear anything about it ever again ... unless Khan's blood turns out to be mixed with protomatter.

M'Sharak May 11 2013 05:29 AM

Re: Wait, did this movie [SPOILER!]
 
Quote:

Destructor wrote: (Post 8071270)
Apologies if this is a repeat thread, but won't it be difficult to maintain tension in the third film if, whenever someone dies, they can just pull Kahn out of the old freezerino and reanimate whoever kicks the bucket? For that matter, isn't the ability to cure death, in general, something of a big deal? Like, wouldn't all 73 of the frozen supermen be turned into blood farms for the ultimate in cure-all hospitals? I know this is only one of several rather large problems in the plot, but it's sort of bothering me.

Nothing like a fat spoiler in the thread title (fixed now.)

I think you'll find this issue being talked about quite a bit over in the Grading & Discussion thread, but maybe it can be the focus here, as long as we keep major plot details out of the subject lines for the benefit of those many who have not yet had the opportunity to see the movie.

Destructor May 11 2013 05:43 AM

Re: Wait, did this movie [SPOILER]
 
Oh, sorry! I thought everyone had see it by now.

General Discussion is all over the place so it's hard to follow the single issue but if its being discussed there I'm happy to be integrated.

M'Sharak May 11 2013 06:31 AM

Re: Wait, did this movie [SPOILER]
 
Quote:

Destructor wrote: (Post 8071486)
Oh, sorry! I thought everyone had see it by now.

Not quite yet. Opens next week in the US, Canada and many other places, but there are a few countries which will be waiting until June, July or even September for the movie to open. We'll just keep using spoiler warnings until they've had a chance to catch up.

Quote:

Destructor wrote: (Post 8071486)
General Discussion is all over the place so it's hard to follow the single issue but if its being discussed there I'm happy to be integrated.

This is a topic which is probably going to get quite a bit of discussion over the next few weeks, so I'm OK with having a dedicated thread for it.

Oso Blanco May 11 2013 07:01 AM

Re: Wait, did this movie [SPOILER]
 
I think that you can only cure certain illnesses with his blood. Radiation poisoning in this case and whatever the little girl had. If someone had been shot, stabbed or beheaded, it wouldn't be of any use.

Destructor May 11 2013 10:05 AM

Re: Wait, did this movie [SPOILER]
 
Quote:

Oso Blanco wrote: (Post 8071591)
I think that you can only cure certain illnesses with his blood. Radiation poisoning in this case and whatever the little girl had. If someone had been shot, stabbed or beheaded, it wouldn't be of any use.

That's true- if wasn't clear if it had regenerative properties in the 'knitting together flesh' sense. I suppose most people who die in space are, well, ripped out into space and probably difficult to revive after such a death.

Still- the movie wasn't very clear on this point. And screw that commander who killed himself and hundreds of people just to save his daughter-- to be charitable I'm going to assume he didn't know the explosion would be as big as it was.

beamMe May 11 2013 11:08 AM

Re: Wait, did this movie [SPOILER]
 
Quote:

trevanian wrote: (Post 8071441)
... unless Khan's blood turns out to be mixed with protomatter.

They certainly opened up that road when they had McCoy talk about the blood having an effect on inanimate/dead cells.

AntonyF May 11 2013 11:10 AM

Re: Wait, did this movie [SPOILER]
 
Quote:

Destructor wrote: (Post 8071486)
Oh, sorry! I thought everyone had see it by now.

Everyone in the entire world has seen it in the 48 hours since release. Yes....

Pavonis May 11 2013 01:35 PM

Re: Wait, did this movie [SPOILER]
 
I suppose if you live in a country that typically gets the movie long after the rest of the world, it would make sense that "everyone else must have seen it". Unfortunately, this one is being released everywhere but the US first. I've already spoiled myself completely on the film. It was as easy as reading the Wikipedia entry for the film.

BillJ May 11 2013 01:38 PM

Re: Wait, did this movie [SPOILER]
 
Quote:

Pavonis wrote: (Post 8072206)
I suppose if you live in a country that typically gets the movie long after the rest of the world, it would make sense that "everyone else must have seen it". Unfortunately, this one is being released everywhere but the US first. I've already spoiled myself completely on the film. It was as easy as reading the Wikipedia entry for the film.

I still don't understand why they didn't release within a couple of days everywhere? Maybe Foreign markets are more likely to pirate the film if it's released here first? :shrug:

Flake May 11 2013 01:45 PM

Re: Wait, did this movie [SPOILER]
 
Quote:

trevanian wrote: (Post 8071441)
Quote:

Destructor wrote: (Post 8071270)
Apologies if this is a repeat thread, but won't it be difficult to maintain tension in the third film if, whenever someone dies, they can just pull Kahn out of the old freezerino and reanimate whoever kicks the bucket? For that matter, isn't the ability to cure death, in general, something of a big deal? Like, wouldn't all 73 of the frozen supermen be turned into blood farms for the ultimate in cure-all hospitals? I know this is only one of several rather large problems in the plot, but it's sort of bothering me.

It sounds like it has the potential to be a bigger deal than the rejuvenation of billions via the Ba'ku world or the Genesis device ... enough to start religious wars even among secular Federationists ...

with all that in mind ... I bet we'll never hear anything about it ever again ... unless Khan's blood turns out to be mixed with protomatter.

I would not be so sure about that. I was hoping we would never hear or speak of transwarp beaming ever again and yet it's in the movie :/ It would not surprise me if Khan is taken out of the freezer next movie to harvest his blood and he escapes or something. Anything is possible with these writers.

Pavonis May 11 2013 01:48 PM

Re: Wait, did this movie [SPOILER]
 
I have no clear idea of why STID was released the way it is being released. "Increasing international box office" is the reason I've read, but I wonder if it will be effective. Part of me is considering being petty and not seeing the film when it is released in the US. There should be a small penalty in the US box office for releasing it elsewhere first, I think. :p

Destructor May 11 2013 02:46 PM

Re: Wait, did this movie [SPOILER]
 
Quote:

AntonyF wrote: (Post 8071945)
Quote:

Destructor wrote: (Post 8071486)
Oh, sorry! I thought everyone had see it by now.

Everyone in the entire world has seen it in the 48 hours since release. Yes....

I don't need to worry about everyone in the world, I need to worry about everyone who reads this forum. Y'know- Star Trek fans. I didn't even like ST09 and I've already seen this movie.

Pavonis May 11 2013 02:48 PM

Re: Wait, did this movie [SPOILER]
 
Quote:

Destructor wrote: (Post 8072383)
I don't need to worry about everyone in the world, I need to worry about everyone who reads this forum. Y'know- Star Trek fans. I didn't even like ST09 and I've already seen this movie.

Not everyone who participates in this forum lives in the UK or Australia. I understand now how the overseas market feels about a movie that's out long before it gets to you...but I'm pretty sure the bulk of TrekBBS posters are American.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.