The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek - Original Series (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   In name of Trek? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=212311)

Warped9 May 10 2013 04:03 PM

In name of Trek?
 
Does anyone know someone or of someone who was named after a Trek character?

Any real world Uhuras or Hikarus or Odonnas or Shanas or James Tiberius' or whatever out there?

Greg Cox May 10 2013 05:25 PM

Re: In name of Trek?
 
I know an Aeryn who was named after the character on FARSCAPE. Does that count?

Tom May 10 2013 05:36 PM

Re: In name of Trek?
 
An old co-worker of mine named he daughter Rygel due to Star Trek

BillJ May 10 2013 05:37 PM

Re: In name of Trek?
 
I sneaked a 'Benjamin' past my wife for our third child. :techman:

Plus we have a cat named 'Tucker', my wife named him that figuring the odds were better that I'd let her keep him. It worked. :rofl:

Duncan MacLeod May 10 2013 06:00 PM

Re: In name of Trek?
 
Well there was this physician named Spock. :vulcan:

But I'm pretty sure his parents didn't name him after the Star Trek character. ;)

1001001 May 10 2013 06:14 PM

Re: In name of Trek?
 
Our son's middle name is Archer.

Not TOS, but answers the question.

BillJ May 10 2013 06:31 PM

Re: In name of Trek?
 
Quote:

1001001 wrote: (Post 8068870)
Our son's middle name is Archer.

Not TOS, but answers the question.

Love your signature. :techman:

Admiral Buzzkill May 10 2013 07:08 PM

Re: In name of Trek?
 
I know a couple who named their daughter "Seven."

Seriously. It's quite a charming and rather dignified name to say, once you get over the initial WTF.

BillJ May 10 2013 07:22 PM

Re: In name of Trek?
 
Quote:

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: (Post 8069110)
I know a couple who named their daughter "Seven."

Seriously. It's quite a charming and rather dignified name to say, once you get over the initial WTF.

They get it from Trek or the Seinfeld episode? :lol:


Tora Ziyal May 10 2013 07:30 PM

Re: In name of Trek?
 
Do pets count? I once named a fish -- a mini koi -- James Tiberius Koik. Called him Tiberius.

T'Girl May 10 2013 08:07 PM

Re: In name of Trek?
 
The actor Kirk Cameron was named after Captain Kirk.

:)

Gary7 May 10 2013 09:42 PM

Re: In name of Trek?
 
Quote:

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: (Post 8069110)
I know a couple who named their daughter "Seven."

Seriously. It's quite a charming and rather dignified name to say, once you get over the initial WTF.

Woman: "What a nice little girl! And how old are you?"
Seven: "I'm seven."
Woman: "And what's your name?"
Seven: "I'm Seven."
Woman: "No, your name dear not your age."
Seven: "Mommy!"

ToddPence May 10 2013 10:35 PM

Re: In name of Trek?
 
In a book from the 1970's called "Letters to Star Trek", there is the story of a couple who named their daughter Miri, after that episode. I can only imagine the monstrously awful schoolhood that poor girl must have had. ("No, it's not Mary . . . it's Miri . . . no Miri . . . well see, my parents named me after a Star Trek episode . . . please stop laughing . . .")

Timewalker May 11 2013 02:48 AM

Re: In name of Trek?
 
Quote:

Tora Ziyal wrote: (Post 8069233)
Do pets count? I once named a fish -- a mini koi -- James Tiberius Koik. Called him Tiberius.

That's cute! :lol:

I named one of my cats after a character in Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover novel.

And another cat was named Gussy; people thought it was in honor of my grandfather, whose name was Gustav. But only I knew he was really named after Augustus Caesar.

Quote:

ToddPence wrote: (Post 8070040)
In a book from the 1970's called "Letters to Star Trek", there is the story of a couple who named their daughter Miri, after that episode. I can only imagine the monstrously awful schoolhood that poor girl must have had. ("No, it's not Mary . . . it's Miri . . . no Miri . . . well see, my parents named me after a Star Trek episode . . . please stop laughing . . .")

It would be annoying if people didn't hear it correctly and made the wrong assumption. I get that all the time with my middle name.

But "Miri" could simply be a shortened form of "Miriam." It's a perfectly good name.

At least they didn't name her after a character in the Gor novels (I didn't know how to react the day I met a college kid named "Tarl." He was rather embarrassed to admit that yes, his parents read Gor books, and I tried very hard not to laugh as he was definitely not anybody's vision of a swashbuckling wencher...).

GeorgeKirk May 11 2013 02:50 AM

Re: In name of Trek?
 
When I was a kid, I had a friend named Kirk. His parents were major Trekkies.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.