The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Battlestar Galactica & Caprica (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Does anyone have VHS recordings from the 1980's syndication run? (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=211771)

BoredShipCapt'n May 6 2013 03:43 AM

Does anyone have VHS recordings from the 1980's syndication run?

If so, please send me a PM. Thank you. :)

BoredShipCapt'n July 8 2013 06:04 PM

Re: Does anyone have VHS recordings from the 1980's syndication run?

Wow, 244 views and nobody has any?

Surely someone taped BSG during the Eighties and still has the tapes? I'm specifically looking for an Eighties-era recording of The Living Legend part 1.

Vendikarr July 8 2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

BoredShipCapt'n wrote: (Post 8048386)
If so, please send me a PM. Thank you. :)

Sorry, the only BSG I have on tape from the last century is the original airing of Galactica 1980's "Return of Starbuck",

BoredShipCapt'n July 8 2013 06:20 PM

Quote:

Vendikarr wrote: (Post 8350669)

Sorry, the only BSG I have on tape from the last century is the original airing of Galactica 1980's "Return of Starbuck",

That in itself is pretty cool.

I had all the BSG episodes taped in 1983 but have apparently lost them in a move. Something's been altered since that time in part 1 of The Living Legend.

RandyS July 8 2013 08:17 PM

I used to have the entire series off one of my local stations, but I ditched them nine years ago when the DVD set came out.

I also had that Return of Starbuck tape from Goodtimes home video, but when the DVD set came out..well, you get the idea.

Any reason in particular why you want them? I would think you'd prefer the DVD's. Are you looking for something specific that the DVD sets don't have?

BoredShipCapt'n July 9 2013 02:35 AM

Quote:

RandyS wrote: (Post 8351260)
I used to have the entire series off one of my local stations, but I ditched them nine years ago when the DVD set came out.

I also had that Return of Starbuck tape from Goodtimes home video, but when the DVD set came out..well, you get the idea.

Any reason in particular why you want them? I would think you'd prefer the DVD's. Are you looking for something specific that the DVD sets don't have?

Yes, the DVD has a small deletion of dialogue near the end of Living Legend part 1. I was hoping to get a sound clip from someone who still had it on tape. The deletion was made before the SciFi Channel started rerunning the show in the Nineties, which is why I need a recording from the Eighties.

RandyS July 9 2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

BoredShipCapt'n wrote: (Post 8353174)
Quote:

RandyS wrote: (Post 8351260)

Yes, the DVD has a small deletion of dialogue near the end of Living Legend part 1. I was hoping to get a sound clip from someone who still had it on tape. The deletion was made before the SciFi Channel started rerunning the show in the Nineties, which is why I need a recording from the Eighties.

In that case, I suggest looking for a VHS copy of MISSION GALACTICA. It's an edited version of The Living Legend and Fire In Space with new dialogue edited in. You can probably find one on Amazon, or half a dozen other sites that sells those kinds of things. Or used stores around your home. We have plenty of those around here.

What was edited out? I watched my DVD of The Living Legend a couple of months ago, and I didn't notice anything.

BoredShipCapt'n July 9 2013 06:52 PM

Quote:

RandyS wrote: (Post 8355076)

In that case, I suggest looking for a VHS copy of MISSION GALACTICA. It's an edited version of The Living Legend and Fire In Space with new dialogue edited in. You can probably find one on Amazon, or half a dozen other sites that sells those kinds of things. Or used stores around your home. We have plenty of those around here.

What was edited out? I watched my DVD of The Living Legend a couple of months ago, and I didn't notice anything.

Thanks; I already tried Mission Galactica and the part in question was edited the same way as the DVD.

Originally, there was a difference in Baltar's dialogue between the end of part 1 and the recap at the beginning of part 2. In part 1, when the Cylon first sees the Pegasus, he says "Sir, if I may..." and Baltar cuts him off with "Not now!" In the part 2 recap, Baltar's "Not now" is muted and you just see him mouthing it silently.

For some reason, the DVD version of part 1 substitutes the sound mix from part 2 so you can't hear Baltar. This had already been changed that way when the show ran on SciFi in the Nineties, so I'm not sure when or why it was done. But you could definitely hear him on part 1 in the Eighties reruns.

Noname Given July 9 2013 07:31 PM

I used to have VHS tapes of some of it from that ime; but honestly, BSG1978 never had a true 'syndication run. They took the pilot and the two parters and turned them into 2 hour telefilms that they broadcast from time to time. they took the remaining single episodes and tried to pair to together to turn the rest of it into a series of 2 hour telefilms (that didn't really work, as the transition from one story to the next made to real sense.)

If you want the full uncut 1978n series - just by the DVD compilation released by Universal. It is rather inexpensive.:)

RandyS July 9 2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Noname Given wrote: (Post 8355937)
I used to have VHS tapes of some of it from that ime; but honestly, BSG1978 never had a true 'syndication run. They took the pilot and the two parters and turned them into 2 hour telefilms that they broadcast from time to time. they took the remaining single episodes and tried to pair to together to turn the rest of it into a series of 2 hour telefilms (that didn't really work, as the transition from one story to the next made to real sense.)

They didn't rerun the show in your area? They did in mine (Sacramento CA), and in San Francisco. In both markets the show was run once weekly on Saturdays. I was glad when we finally got it, because I was tired of screwing around with the atenna to get the SF showing to come in (often with ALOT of static), and more often than not, I would have to settle for hearing the show rather than watching it.

This was back in the mid 1980's before cable, or anyhting that we have now.

BoredShipCapt'n July 9 2013 10:40 PM

Quote:

If you want the full uncut 1978n series - just by the DVD compilation released by Universal. It is rather inexpensive.:)

As I have been explaining, there is something missing from the DVD.

Admiral Buzzkill July 10 2013 02:38 PM

"The Living Legend, Part I" may be unique in ending on a cliffhanger in which the villain's ass is in a sling with no way out. :lol:

BoredShipCapt'n July 10 2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: (Post 8359900)
"The Living Legend, Part I" may be unique in ending on a cliffhanger in which the villain's ass is in a sling with no way out. :lol:

:rommie: True! Yet somehow it works. Who wouldn't want to tune in next week to see Baltar get his?

Noname Given July 10 2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: (Post 8359900)

One of my favorite exchanges from BSG1978:

Cylon: "Sir, if I may..."

Baltar: "I don't want to miss a second of the last Battlestar's destruction..."

Cylon: "I really think you should take a look at the other Battlestar..."

Baltar: " What are you babbling about...other Battlestar?!...Impossible!"

Cylon: "No...It is...a Battlestar..."
:rofl:

yenny August 4 2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

RandyS wrote: (Post 8356324)
Quote:

They didn't rerun the show in your area? They did in mine (Sacramento CA), and in San Francisco. In both markets the show was run once weekly on Saturdays. I was glad when we finally got it, because I was tired of screwing around with the atenna to get the SF showing to come in (often with ALOT of static), and more often than not, I would have to settle for hearing the show rather than watching it.

This was back in the mid 1980's before cable, or anyhting that we have now.

The Show ran in syndication in Houston Texas on channel 39 in 81.