The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   5 year old given rifle as gift, kills 2 year old sister (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=211318)

Candlelight May 1 2013 11:21 PM

5 year old given rifle as gift, kills 2 year old sister
 
http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/america...r-with-his-gun

Quote:

A five-year-old US boy accidentally shot his two-year-old sister to death with a rifle he had received as a gift last year, authorities say.
The children's mother was home on Tuesday (local time) but had stepped onto the porch for "no more than three minutes", Cumberland County Coroner Gary White told WKYT-TV.
White told the Lexington Herald-Leader newspaper the boy received the .22-calibre rifle, especially made for children, as a gift. He said the rifle was kept in a corner, and the family didn't realize a bullet was left inside it.
White said the shooting was an accident. He did not return a telephone call from The Associated Press.
State police said the shooting occurred when the boy was "playing" with the rifle. It is not clear whether any charges will be filed, said Kentucky State Police spokesman Trooper Billy Gregory.
White identified the gun as a Crickett, referring to a company that specifically makes guns, clothes and books for children. "It's a little rifle for a kid. ... The little boy's used to shooting the little gun."
Keystone Sporting Arms produced 60,000 Crickett and Chipmunk rifles in 2008, according to its website. It also makes guns for adults.
The company's slogan is "my first rifle", and its website has a "Kids Corner" section with photos of children at shooting ranges and on bird and deer hunts.
The 'specifically makes guns for children' part is the most disturbing piece of news print I've read all year.

Tora Ziyal May 1 2013 11:56 PM

Re: 5 year old given rifle as gift, kills 2 year old sister
 
OMG! Beyond that, I'm speechless.

Winged Victory May 2 2013 12:02 AM

Re: 5 year old given rifle as gift, kills 2 year old sister
 
Quote:

Candlelight wrote: (Post 8030695)
http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/america...r-with-his-gun


The 'specifically makes guns for children' part is the most disturbing piece of news print I've read all year.

I had no idea guns were made specifically for children. Sickening. And how horrible for that family. :(

Dream May 2 2013 12:04 AM

Re: 5 year old given rifle as gift, kills 2 year old sister
 
Parents should have gotten the dumb kid a water gun instead.

farmkid May 2 2013 12:20 AM

Re: 5 year old given rifle as gift, kills 2 year old sister
 
I have no problem with making guns for kids. I learned to shoot as a young child, as did my siblings, and my in-laws. Building guns that fit a child's shorter arms is fine. A kid who grows up shooting and learning proper safety practices will be safe as an adult as well. I've seen plenty of adults (go find pictures of some of our politicians crusading against guns for some examples) who were downright scary with a gun because they had no idea how to handle one because they were never taught. It's easier to teach a child than an adult.

The problem here isn't the existence of such a gun; the problem is giving a 5-year old their own gun. Even more of a problem is the fact that the gun was sitting in the corner with a bullet in it. There are two major problems right there and that's what these parents should be brought up on charges for. If a parent buys a gun for their kid, it is absolutely incumbent upon them to store the gun properly and never have it anywhere the kid can get access to it without adult supervision and the kid absolutely must be taught and be able to demonstrate proper safety practices before the gun is ever loaded.

StarMan May 2 2013 12:29 AM

Re: 5 year old given rifle as gift, kills 2 year old sister
 
Quote:

Candlelight wrote: (Post 8030695)
"It's a little rifle for a kid. ... The little boy's used to shooting the little gun."
Keystone Sporting Arms produced 60,000 Crickett and Chipmunk rifles in 2008, according to its website. It also makes guns for adults.
The company's slogan is "my first rifle", and its website has a "Kids Corner" section with photos of children at shooting ranges and on bird and deer hunts.

This is in it's own special category of idiocy.

Kirby May 2 2013 12:43 AM

Re: 5 year old given rifle as gift, kills 2 year old sister
 
Quote:

farmkid wrote: (Post 8030863)
Even more of a problem is the fact that the gun was sitting in the corner with a bullet in it. There are two major problems right there and that's what these parents should be brought up on charges for. If a parent buys a gun for their kid, it is absolutely incumbent upon them to store the gun properly and never have it anywhere the kid can get access to it without adult supervision and the kid absolutely must be taught and be able to demonstrate proper safety practices before the gun is ever loaded.

Yep. What moronic parents; If you have guns in the house they need to be put away where kids can't easily get to them. A 'lil kids' gun is still a gun, and while it's cute and small it can, and has, ended a life due to improper handling.

The parents need to be brought up on charges, and my prayers go out to this little guy who has to go through life aware of what happened.

Data Holmes May 2 2013 02:20 AM

Re: 5 year old given rifle as gift, kills 2 year old sister
 
Quote:

farmkid wrote: (Post 8030863)
I have no problem with making guns for kids. I learned to shoot as a young child, as did my siblings, and my in-laws. Building guns that fit a child's shorter arms is fine. A kid who grows up shooting and learning proper safety practices will be safe as an adult as well. I've seen plenty of adults (go find pictures of some of our politicians crusading against guns for some examples) who were downright scary with a gun because they had no idea how to handle one because they were never taught. It's easier to teach a child than an adult.

The problem here isn't the existence of such a gun; the problem is giving a 5-year old their own gun. Even more of a problem is the fact that the gun was sitting in the corner with a bullet in it. There are two major problems right there and that's what these parents should be brought up on charges for. If a parent buys a gun for their kid, it is absolutely incumbent upon them to store the gun properly and never have it anywhere the kid can get access to it without adult supervision and the kid absolutely must be taught and be able to demonstrate proper safety practices before the gun is ever loaded.

Indeed. Very well put.

Quote:

Dream wrote: (Post 8030827)
Parents should have gotten the dumb kid a water gun instead.

water "guns" teach kids way more bad habits than real guns, and make children much more dangerious when presented a real firearm.

horatio83 May 2 2013 02:39 AM

Re: 5 year old given rifle as gift, kills 2 year old sister
 
Quote:

Data Holmes wrote: (Post 8031397)
water "guns" teach kids way more bad habits than real guns, and make children much more dangerious when presented a real firearm.

Yeah, kids who play with bullets will become great citizens whereas those play with water (oh my god, with water, no way !!!) will end horribly. :rolleyes:

J. Allen May 2 2013 02:52 AM

Re: 5 year old given rifle as gift, kills 2 year old sister
 
Quote:

farmkid wrote: (Post 8030863)
I have no problem with making guns for kids. I learned to shoot as a young child, as did my siblings, and my in-laws. Building guns that fit a child's shorter arms is fine. A kid who grows up shooting and learning proper safety practices will be safe as an adult as well. I've seen plenty of adults (go find pictures of some of our politicians crusading against guns for some examples) who were downright scary with a gun because they had no idea how to handle one because they were never taught. It's easier to teach a child than an adult.

The problem here isn't the existence of such a gun; the problem is giving a 5-year old their own gun. Even more of a problem is the fact that the gun was sitting in the corner with a bullet in it. There are two major problems right there and that's what these parents should be brought up on charges for. If a parent buys a gun for their kid, it is absolutely incumbent upon them to store the gun properly and never have it anywhere the kid can get access to it without adult supervision and the kid absolutely must be taught and be able to demonstrate proper safety practices before the gun is ever loaded.

This, exactly.

Gaith May 2 2013 03:35 AM

Re: 5 year old given rifle as gift, kills 2 year old sister
 
How 'bout this for a rule: if you're too young for Space Mountain, you shouldn't shoot a gun, period.

And yes, prosecute the parents.

scotpens May 2 2013 04:31 AM

Re: 5 year old given rifle as gift, kills 2 year old sister
 
The first time I ever fired a gun was at Boy Scout camp when I was 12 years old. That was the age at which you graduated from air rifles (BB guns) to real firearms for target shooting, and it seems a reasonable age to me. But giving a gun to a five-year-old? That's just sheer lunacy.

Oh, and I haven't had much to do with guns since. I'm a lousy shot.

Kestra May 2 2013 04:48 AM

Re: 5 year old given rifle as gift, kills 2 year old sister
 
Quote:

Gaith wrote: (Post 8031670)
How 'bout this for a rule: if you're too young for Space Mountain, you shouldn't shoot a gun, period.

There's no age requirement for Space Mountain, just a height one.

Tosk May 2 2013 04:49 AM

Re: 5 year old given rifle as gift, kills 2 year old sister
 
I think they should make pornography especially for children. You'd have to supervize them with it of course, but it would help them understand sexuality better for later in life. Kids who grow up without pronography will be much more dangerous when it comes time for sexual relations.

gturner May 2 2013 05:16 AM

Re: 5 year old given rifle as gift, kills 2 year old sister
 
Kids guns have been around as long as guns have. In Appalachia many kids got their first gun at age six, almost invariably a junior .22 rifle. The average age for getting a personal rifle was 11 or 12, though. I was probably seven or eight before I started shooting a beautiful Remington 512 (a tube fed bolt action which are now hard to find, though the 511 seems common enough).

This kind of tragedy happened on occasion (Chuck Yeager accidentally killed his baby sister), but it is very uncommon. However, modern indulgent permissive parenting and giving children tools of lethal force don't mix very well.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.