The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   General Trek Discussion (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Your 'Not Only is it Not A Guilty Pleasure' movie/episode (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=211264)

Dale Sams May 1 2013 04:46 PM

Your 'Not Only is it Not A Guilty Pleasure' movie/episode

Not only do you not see it as a guilty pleasure, not only do you feel able to explain it's good qualities...but you can't UNDERSTAND the level of hate it engenders.

For me it's GENERATIONS. This isn't an invitation for people to explain what's wrong with it...I've heard it before. I'm more interested in finding out if other people have a particular episode/movie that they not only really like...but 'just don't get the hate'.

I'll give one example: I've seen people bag on Stewart's performance when he finds out about his nephew and brother....??????...I thought Stewart was excellent in that scene.

Shazam! May 1 2013 05:06 PM

Re: Your 'Not Only is it Not A Guilty Pleasure' movie/episode

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

And what's that DS9 episode that everyone hates? Move Along Home? The game one anyway. I like it.

Also, A Night In Sickbay.

Third Nacelle May 1 2013 05:25 PM

I agree with you on Generations.

Mine would have to be 11:59. I thought it was a nice break from the usual.

And if I could apply this concept to a character, it would be Dr. Pulaski. She was the most interesting person on the Enterprise during her brief stint.

F. King Daniel May 1 2013 05:41 PM

Star Trek Nemesis. It's the film that got me loving Star Trek again. I thought it was a lot of fun. Then I came online and found fans treating it like cancer:wtf:

Dale Sams May 1 2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Third Nacelle wrote: (Post 8028955)

And if I could apply this concept to a character, it would be Dr. Pulaski. She was the most interesting person on the Enterprise during her brief stint.

If applied to a person...well, I can understand people's aversion to Wesley, but HOLY CRAP was it taken out of proportion. Poor Wheaton. Everyone else on that frigging show has a role, and a valid emotional connection to at least one other cast mate.

Wesley might as well not even be related to Dr. Crusher for all they did with that. So what else is there for him? Young, inexperienced Ensign? At the very end they touched on that, but way too late.

I can't even imagine what that must have been like for him. Coming off "Stand By Me", and suddenly the world hates him, there's no real connection between him and the others...Roddenberry or Berman or whoever isn't letting him do movies (until they finally let him go).

At least Jake had a realistic relationship with his dad and a friend in Nog.

:scream: Not sure where that rant came from.

Quote:

Star Trek Nemesis. It's the film that got me loving Star Trek again. I thought it was a lot of fun. Then I came online and found fans treating it like cancer:wtf:
I thought it was dumb just for the tired 'evil twin' trope and accepted all the criticism at face value....until I actually sat down and watched the whole thing, then I was like...that..uhh...that was actually fairly good. I enjoyed that.

Bumbles861 May 1 2013 06:04 PM

Episode: Spock's Brain.
Movie: Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.

I don't have 'the hate on' for either of these guilty pleasures.

Greg Cox May 1 2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Third Nacelle wrote: (Post 8028955)

11:59 is hated? I had no idea.

I actually worked Shannon O'Donnell into one of my EUGENICS WARS novel . . ..

Cookies and Cake May 1 2013 06:11 PM

Mine is The Way to Eden. :)

Mojochi May 1 2013 06:22 PM

The original motion picture. It's not the best outing, but it certainly doesn't deserve heat it gets

Darmok. It amazes me how many people get hung up on the minutia, and overlook the creativity and spirit of the Trek concept involved. Great Star Trek it is.

Elias Vaughn May 1 2013 06:49 PM

Every Ferengi episode of DS9.

They're so much fun but I often feel like I'm the only one who realizes that.

R. Star May 1 2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Elias Vaughn wrote: (Post 8029396)

I'm with you on that one, I always liked those.. except maybe Profit and Lace. ;)

Enterprise is Great May 1 2013 08:01 PM

I'm one of the few people who really like Nemesis. I like every Mirror Universe episode except for Resurrection. I like Dr. Pulaski a lot. Unlike most other TNG characters she wasn't bland. I always hoped they'd bring her back.

Ho Ho Homeier May 1 2013 08:11 PM

There are always things I don't like in nearly every episode or film, but none that I particularly hate (except perhaps "Shades of Gray" for being a clip show).

What I do despise is the current trend in television to "reality" shows. They always have some sort of writing staff comprised of people with no previous credentials. Legitimate actors, directors, and other professionals don't get work. The only reason these shows exist is because it's cheaper for the networks and studios producing them.

sonak May 1 2013 08:23 PM

Star Trek V, Generations, and ST:Nemesis

Ryva Brall May 1 2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

R. Star wrote: (Post 8029561)
Quote:

Elias Vaughn wrote: (Post 8029396)

I'm with you on that one, I always liked those.. except maybe Profit and Lace. ;)

Same here. I love almost all the Ferengi episodes, except "Profit and Lace". Just thinking about Quark as a woman makes my flesh crawl. :barf:

I wasn't aware that there was any hatred for "Darmok". I thought the whole concept of it was very original. And I like to say "Shaka when the walls fell" as an alternative metaphor for "Epic fail". :)