The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   I just got pick-pocketed... (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=211261)

lvsxy808 May 1 2013 02:55 PM

I just got pick-pocketed...

And I am so pissed off I can barely breathe.

Lunch hour, nice enough day, bit of a headache so I decide to go for a walk in the park to clear my head. About to head down into the rock garden area, when a guy jumps off the wall where he'd been sitting, as if about to go his own way, and "accidentally" bumps into me. "Oh sorry, sorry," hands everywhere as he steadies hismelf, you know the routine.

And then a couple of minutes later, I realise my phone has gone.

Brand new iPhone 5, had it less that a month, no insurance on it. I ran straight to the police station to report it (where they said "Call this number." Hello, he took my phone.) Anyway, they called for me, made a report, decribed the guy best as I could.

I have that "find my iPhone" thing so they're trying to track it that way. It has a pass code on it so he shouldn't get into it any time soon, and I'm pretty sure I set it up that if he puts the wrong code in 10 times, it wipes it.

I've asked my other half to wipe it by remote, but it tells you it has to connect to the internet first before it can do that. There's no bank details or anything on there, but there's addresses and emails and phone numbers. I've had the phone company block the number too.

So I think I've done just about everything I can. But the main thing is just that I'm so f***ing furious! And not a little embarrassed. I know, these people are professionals, they do it all day long, I didn't even feel his hand go into my pocket. But it's humiliating to fall for something so basic.

RRRRRAAAAARRRGGGHHH! :mad::mad::mad:

Sigokat May 1 2013 03:04 PM

Re: I just got pick-pocketed...

Damn that sucks. Hopefully they find your find your phone for you.

I'm currently in Afghanistan and one of the NCOs that I work with had left his iPhone5 in the bathroom. Of course when he realized it and went back it was gone. He got it back though because the guy who stole it tried selling it to some other guy for $30.00 so the guy knew it had to be stolen. So he grabbed the phone and told the thief he was taking it to the MPs and reporting him and the thief took off.

So luckily for Talbert he got his phone back by luck and the honesty of another. Hopefully you get yours as well!!

Tora Ziyal May 1 2013 03:15 PM

Oh, no!

B.J. May 1 2013 04:46 PM

That sucks! I have to ask, though, which pocket did you have your phone in?

lvsxy808 May 1 2013 05:18 PM

Inside jacket pocket, but jacket was open as it was a nice day. I didn't specifically feel his hands going there, but it's really the only explanation.

I suppose I should be grateful I left my car keys and wallet in the office.

It's also actually kind of amazing to me that it took this long to happen, given I lived in NYC and was never bothered, and have been in London for two years as well.

Mr. Laser Beam May 1 2013 05:20 PM

Do you have a belt clip for the phone?

Rhaven May 1 2013 05:33 PM

That sucks, but at least it wasn't your wallet. I had my purse stolen a few years back. Replacing all your cards, license and such is a real hassle.
Hope your phone is found and returned to you.

Scout101 May 1 2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: (Post 8028946)

No, they were pickpocketed TODAY, not in 1996. Everyone's mostly over the douchy "look how important I am, i have a cellphone" look :p

backstept May 1 2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Scout101 wrote: (Post 8029036)
Quote:

No, they were pickpocketed TODAY, not in 1996. Everyone's mostly over the douchy "look how important I am, i have a cellphone" look :p

no, I'm pretty sure smartphones are still a luxury status symbol :p

foxhot May 1 2013 06:11 PM

I'm amazed how many people still put their valuables in BACK pockets. What bigger invitation to swipe could there be?

lvsxy808 May 1 2013 07:06 PM

^^^ Yeah, I've always made sure not to do that. I thought an inside pocket was enough, but apparently not. Lesson learned, I suppose. Also, don't fall asleep on public transport.

The police are coming round tomorrow night, although I already gave a report on the phone, so maybe they just want me to sign something?

Gryffindorian May 1 2013 07:45 PM

Sorry to hear that. I hope the police get the guy and hopefully recover your iPhone(?).

Nowadays when I buy a new cell phone, I make sure to get it insured, at least during the first year or so, in case something like this happens.

ETA:

For my wallet, I've always kept in the same location forever: my front pocket.

KimMH May 1 2013 07:54 PM

Grrr - how disgusting! I hope it is recoverd quickly for you. Going to add mine to my ins policy and start carrying in front pants pocket. bulky w/ the case but obviously worth it.

scotpens May 1 2013 08:46 PM

Damn, that bites the big one. Especially when you realize it could happen to anyone whenever you're in a public place.

On the other hand, I admit a certain grudging admiration for professional pickpockets. They practice a form of thievery that's been around for centuries, if not millennia, and requires a high level of skill and manual dexterity. Hell, a lot of pickpockets are probably skilled and smart enough to make a good living doing honest work. They just like stealing.

Mr. Laser Beam May 1 2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Scout101 wrote: (Post 8029036)
Quote:

You can hide a belt clip under a shirt, you know.