The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Movies XI+ (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Uhura - A message from Harrison & first look at Klingon with no helmet (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=211252)

SalvorHardin May 1 2013 11:44 AM

Uhura - A message from Harrison & first look at Klingon with no helmet

And Klingon without helmet

iguana_tonante May 1 2013 12:46 PM

Re: Uhura - A message from Harrison & first look at Klingon with no he

I think that's fantastic.

Romulan_spy May 1 2013 12:59 PM

JJ-Klingons look bad a**.

Christopher May 1 2013 01:12 PM

Nice.

YellowSubmarine May 1 2013 01:14 PM

Let me be the first to whine. I expected more Uhura less Harrison in a clip named Uhura. I feel tricked. And why should I have to wait for the film whole nine days to see the film? Totally unfair! :scream:

SalvorHardin May 1 2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Christopher wrote: (Post 8028106)
Nice.

About that, Anthony from Trekmovie had some info from his Bad Robot visit

cbspock May 1 2013 02:14 PM

Interesting, on the original series Bones was the soul of the Enterprise. I guess they want to play up the female role and the added twist of a relationship with Spock.

-Chris

Admiral Buzzkill May 1 2013 02:29 PM

On the original series McCoy was the chief doctor on the Enterprise. This business of overanalyzing and assigning the characters symbolic roles is something that fans came up with, possibly in fanzines during the original NBC run but more likely during the 1970s and that Roddenberry repeated back retrospectively. You don't find much of that stuff in things like, oh, the writers guidelines for the series.

cbspock May 1 2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

My Name Is Legion wrote: (Post 8028367)
On the original series McCoy was the chief doctor on the Enterprise. This business of overanalyzing and assigning the characters symbolic roles is something that fans came up with, possibly in fanzines during the original NBC run but more likely during the 1970s and that Roddenberry repeated back retrospectively. You don't find much of that stuff in things like, oh, the writers guidelines for the series.

True a lot of that came out of the re-runs in the 70s and the movie series in the 80s.

-Chris

FarStrider May 1 2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

QFT. Thank you. Thank you. Furthermore, as the movies went on and Kelley got older, Bones became less important in the so-called "triad" and the movies became the "Kirk and Spock Show".

~FS

Franklin May 1 2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

FarStrider wrote: (Post 8028442)
Quote:

QFT. Thank you. Thank you. Furthermore, as the movies went on and Kelley got older, Bones became less important in the so-called "triad" and the movies became the "Kirk and Spock Show".

~FS

I don't know, Kirk and McCoy had some good moments together in TUC.

The only part of the Kirk, Spock, McCoy thing that ever made sense to me (because it was the least analytical and the most obvious, even if it was not deliberate) was Kirk as the pragmatist, Spock as reason and logic, and McCoy as emotion and feeling.

Roddenberry did say these characters allowed points to be discussed that would otherwise be an internal monolog in one person. I think you can see that kind of thing going on in certain episodes, but it's still a post hoc explanation for it.

I think lot of shows have tended to have three characters who play off on each other. For example, I've always thought the Matt Dillon, Festus, Doc relationship in "Gunsmoke" was very close to that of Kirk, Spock, and McCoy, especially the way Doc and Festus were more or less forced-friends through Dillon, and were drawn together by shared concerns for their friend's well-being.

Chemahkuu May 1 2013 03:26 PM

The new Klingons look pretty impressive, and all the more alien, I like it.

GMDreia May 1 2013 03:31 PM

I'm really impressed with the Klingons. They still have the same basic phenotype we are used to but they have more of the "look" of the TOS Klingons, and the rest can be explained by style changes. 75 years is a lot of time for styles to come and go.

Admiral Buzzkill May 1 2013 03:32 PM

Quote:

FarStrider wrote: (Post 8028442)
Quote:

~FS

Yeah, McCoy became the "this exposition is really boring, let's have Bones break in here with an acerbic aside" comic relief go-to for the writers.

marksound May 1 2013 03:38 PM

Yeah, I can dig it.