The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   The Next Generation (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Pedantic Star Trek discussion #134: Riker's Field Commission (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=211201)

Dale Sams April 30 2013 08:09 PM

Pedantic Star Trek discussion #134: Riker's Field Commission
 
A field commission is a perfectly legitimate commission. And there's no reason to bust the guy back to commander after he's saved the Earth.

Now, I understand there's no ship for him to take command of...and it's just awkward to have Picard call him "Captain" for a year. (Though that can just be avoided by always referring to him as Number One.) But let's say you're Rick Berman, and you don't give a flip if your show has serialized elements...how do you fix this?

Myself, I offer Frakes DS9*, and go with either Shelby coming back in a year if the actress wants to, or with Data as XO.

*It could work! Don't be hatin...

Savage Dragon April 30 2013 08:12 PM

Re: Pedantic Star Trek discussion #134: Riker's Field Commission
 
Just promote Picard to Commodore.

R. Star April 30 2013 08:27 PM

Re: Pedantic Star Trek discussion #134: Riker's Field Commission
 
They had no problem having Captain Kirk and Captain Spock on the Enterprise A.

Gaith April 30 2013 08:27 PM

Re: Pedantic Star Trek discussion #134: Riker's Field Commission
 
That puzzled me for a moment in BOBW the other night too; he should have just been officially recognized as acting captain, for exactly that reason.

Also, I watched most of DS9's "Emissary" the other day, and indeed thought it was pretty odd that Starfleet would assign a guy as unenthusiastic and undecided on his future career as Sisko to such a diplomatically and politically sensitive posting. Surely there were plenty of senior officers on hand as eager as Bashir to make a name for themselves out on the frontier...

Dale Sams April 30 2013 08:40 PM

Re: Pedantic Star Trek discussion #134: Riker's Field Commission
 
Quote:

TheSeeker wrote: (Post 8024692)
Just promote Picard to Commodore.

I think the rank of Commodore had been phased out by TNG due to a finding that the rank drove people insane.

Savage Dragon April 30 2013 08:45 PM

Re: Pedantic Star Trek discussion #134: Riker's Field Commission
 
Plenty of other things in Trek to make the fans insane. What's one more?

DonIago April 30 2013 09:10 PM

Re: Pedantic Star Trek discussion #134: Riker's Field Commission
 
Quote:

Gaith wrote: (Post 8024779)
Also, I watched most of DS9's "Emissary" the other day, and indeed thought it was pretty odd that Starfleet would assign a guy as unenthusiastic and undecided on his future career as Sisko to such a diplomatically and politically sensitive posting. Surely there were plenty of senior officers on hand as eager as Bashir to make a name for themselves out on the frontier...

I was under the impression that until the discovery of the wormhole DS9 wasn't considered diplomatically/politically sensitive, especially given that the Cardassians had withdrawn from Bajor and seemed to have lost interest in the sector.

It may be that the senior officers who were available to take command of DS9 weren't inclined to take command of a station in the state DS9 was in. Sisko, being a commander, would presumably have less wiggle room.

If you want to go with a subversive option, Opaka requested Sisko based on a vision from the prophets but asked that her request be kept confidential. That would be why he was of immediate interest to the monk in the temple on DS9. :p

R. Star April 30 2013 10:10 PM

Re: Pedantic Star Trek discussion #134: Riker's Field Commission
 
Quote:

Dale Sams wrote: (Post 8024836)
Quote:

TheSeeker wrote: (Post 8024692)
Just promote Picard to Commodore.

I think the rank of Commodore had been phased out by TNG due to a finding that the rank drove people insane.

Most people not familiar with military hierarchies have difficulty distinguishing between commander and commodore.

BillJ May 3 2013 02:48 AM

Re: Pedantic Star Trek discussion #134: Riker's Field Commission
 
Quote:

R. Star wrote: (Post 8025280)
Quote:

Dale Sams wrote: (Post 8024836)
Quote:

TheSeeker wrote: (Post 8024692)
Just promote Picard to Commodore.

I think the rank of Commodore had been phased out by TNG due to a finding that the rank drove people insane.

Most people not familiar with military hierarchies have difficulty distinguishing between commander and commodore.

I didn't have any issue with that when I was five. Commander was the guy with two stripes and Commodore was the guy with a big fat stripe who, usually, was a douchebag, a moron or insane. :lol:

R. Star May 3 2013 02:50 AM

Re: Pedantic Star Trek discussion #134: Riker's Field Commission
 
Quote:

BillJ wrote: (Post 8036566)
Quote:

R. Star wrote: (Post 8025280)
Quote:

Dale Sams wrote: (Post 8024836)

I think the rank of Commodore had been phased out by TNG due to a finding that the rank drove people insane.

Most people not familiar with military hierarchies have difficulty distinguishing between commander and commodore.

I didn't have any issue with that when I was five. Commander was the guy with two stripes and Commodore was the guy with a big fat stripe who, usually, was a douchebag, a moron or insane. :lol:

It seems to be a requirement to get a flag rank in Starfleet. No wonder Kirk didn't last as an Admiral. :p

GameOn May 3 2013 05:00 AM

Re: Pedantic Star Trek discussion #134: Riker's Field Commission
 
After the events of "The Best of Both Worlds" Riker was given extended leave while the Enterprise was undergoing repairs. He decided to head to Risa for an extended session of jamaharon but realised his vast Horga'hn collection was far too big to fit on any transport ship so decided to just steal the Enterprise instead.

For his actions Riker was reduced in rank to Commander and as a consequence of his new rank was given the duty for which he had repeatedly demonstrated unswerving ability: sitting in the shadow of a great man and passing up one command after another.

xvicente May 3 2013 06:34 PM

Re: Pedantic Star Trek discussion #134: Riker's Field Commission
 
Quote:

GameOn wrote: (Post 8036932)
After the events of "The Best of Both Worlds" Riker was given extended leave while the Enterprise was undergoing repairs. He decided to head to Risa for an extended session of jamaharon but realised his vast Horga'hn collection was far too big to fit on any transport ship so decided to just steal the Enterprise instead.

For his actions Riker was reduced in rank to Commander and as a consequence of his new rank was given the duty for which he had repeatedly demonstrated unswerving ability: sitting in the shadow of a great man and passing up one command after another.

I see no reason this could not be canon

DonIago May 3 2013 06:56 PM

Re: Pedantic Star Trek discussion #134: Riker's Field Commission
 
It couldn't be canon because it's not sanctioned by TPTB.

If you want it in your personal continuity though, go right ahead...

</grammar-nazi>

MikeS May 8 2013 08:42 AM

Re: Pedantic Star Trek discussion #134: Riker's Field Commission
 
Quote:

TheSeeker wrote: (Post 8024692)
Just promote Picard to Commodore.

I know it was not his fault etc, but I can't see many families of Starfleet personel present at Wolf359 being happy with that. And what had Picard done by this point in the series to deserve such a promotion?

R. Star May 8 2013 08:51 AM

Re: Pedantic Star Trek discussion #134: Riker's Field Commission
 
Quote:

MikeS wrote: (Post 8057440)
Quote:

TheSeeker wrote: (Post 8024692)
Just promote Picard to Commodore.

I know it was not his fault etc, but I can't see many families of Starfleet personel present at Wolf359 being happy with that. And what had Picard done by this point in the series to deserve such a promotion?

Given he was offered a promotion to Admiral in season 1, I should imagine his career as captain of the Stargazer had a lot to do with it.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.