The Trek BBS

The Trek BBS (http://www.trekbbs.com/index.php)
-   Doctor Who (http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Doctor Who Finds "New" Executive Producer (http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=211162)

StCoop April 30 2013 01:55 PM

Doctor Who Finds "New" Executive Producer
 
Well sort of new, since they went with Brian Minchin who's already worked on the series and TSJA,Torchwood & Wizards Vs Aliens.

http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/doctor-whos...ucer-48522.htm

I was going to say that hiring a bloke should keep Moffat from getting *ahem* distracted but then I read the last line in the Press Release :)

Lonemagpie April 30 2013 02:01 PM

Re: Doctor Who Finds "New" Executive Producer
 
Interesting choice - on the one hand it smacks of cliquey jobs for the boys, OTOH it means Moffat won't be having inappropriate relations, and on the gripping hand, it actually suggests to me that this could be the first step in a move to pushing Moffat out, since Minchin definitely has the experience to take over if needed, and would be a good producing partner should Toby Whithouse suddenly find himself with a time-and-space kind of job...

In fact, I'll go so far as to say that, based entirely on a cop-hunch developed from a lifetime of watching cop shows and reading detective/crime novels, that I'll be very surprised if Moffat's still in charge this time next year.

Neither elated nor disappointed, but very surprised.

Starkers April 30 2013 02:34 PM

Re: Doctor Who Finds "New" Executive Producer
 
Where do jobs for the boys end and experience begin? Because clearly he seems to have an impressive CV but just as clearly he seems to be someone TPTB know very well.

Moffat will have to go sometime, whether he jumps or is pushed. RTD knew when it was time to go and even if he is as arrogant and egotistical as people say I can't imagine Moffat wants to do Who forever.

Allyn Gibson April 30 2013 02:59 PM

Re: Doctor Who Finds "New" Executive Producer
 
Quote:

Starkers wrote: (Post 8023456)
Moffat will have to go sometime, whether he jumps or is pushed. RTD knew when it was time to go and even if he is as arrogant and egotistical as people say I can't imagine Moffat wants to do Who forever.

Moffat says he's past his halfway point as Who's executive producer. But all that really means is that sometime before 2016 he'll move on.

StCoop April 30 2013 03:08 PM

Re: Doctor Who Finds "New" Executive Producer
 
Quote:

Allyn Gibson wrote: (Post 8023552)
Moffat says he's past his halfway point as Who's executive producer. But all that really means is that sometime before 2016 he'll move on.

So after one more series then!





Thank you, I'll be here all week.

Defcon April 30 2013 03:08 PM

Re: Doctor Who Finds "New" Executive Producer
 
His Doctor Who novel The Forgotten Army was poor (the only thing of his I really know him by), I hope he shows a better grasp for Who as an Executive producer.

Turbo April 30 2013 03:19 PM

Re: Doctor Who Finds "New" Executive Producer
 
Quote:

Defcon wrote: (Post 8023597)
His Doctor Who novel The Forgotten Army was poor (the only thing of his I really know him by), I hope he shows a better grasp for Who as an Executive producer.

On the other hand, he did produce the fourth and fifth series of The Sarah Jane Adventures (which included "Death of the Doctor"), which is a big point in favor of him. And he apparently produced the UK-based parts of Miracle Day, which were pretty good.

Samurai8472 April 30 2013 06:20 PM

Re: Doctor Who Finds "New" Executive Producer
 
Quote:

StCoop wrote: (Post 8023594)
Quote:

Allyn Gibson wrote: (Post 8023552)
Moffat says he's past his halfway point as Who's executive producer. But all that really means is that sometime before 2016 he'll move on.

So after one more series then!





Thank you, I'll be here all week.

You give them too much credit. Half a season

;)

Followed by the introduction of the 15th doctor.

Green Lantern April 30 2013 09:16 PM

Re: Doctor Who Finds "New" Executive Producer
 
I wonder how doctor who will be once this newbie gets n. I d so hope he takes after RTD more than Moffat.

diankra April 30 2013 10:05 PM

Re: Doctor Who Finds "New" Executive Producer
 
Remember, he's not a newbie. He was working on the show,as a script editor, during theRTD era.

Professor Zoom April 30 2013 10:11 PM

Re: Doctor Who Finds "New" Executive Producer
 
Quote:

Green Lantern wrote: (Post 8024998)
I wonder how doctor who will be once this newbie gets n. I d so hope he takes after RTD more than Moffat.

He's replacing Skinner, not Moffat.

The Wormhole April 30 2013 10:29 PM

Re: Doctor Who Finds "New" Executive Producer
 
Quote:

Defcon wrote: (Post 8023597)
His Doctor Who novel The Forgotten Army was poor (the only thing of his I really know him by), I hope he shows a better grasp for Who as an Executive producer.

To be honest, none of the NSAs have been particularly good since they switched over to Smith, which is a shame since during the Tennant years they were getting better and better. Although, if we're counting the "adult" novels as part of the NSA series, then The Silent Stars Go By was all kinds of awesome.

The Borgified Corpse May 1 2013 02:05 AM

Re: Doctor Who Finds "New" Executive Producer
 
I really liked the 11th Doctor novel "Dead of Winter." It's got some interesting twists to it and it really does a great job of nailing the 11th Doctor & Amy. Rory doesn't quite pop out as strongly at the beginning (but there's a reason for that) but once he gets going, we get some really interesting interior monologue stuff. It shows why Rory is one of the show's most relatable companions.

Allyn Gibson May 1 2013 03:11 AM

Re: Doctor Who Finds "New" Executive Producer
 
Quote:

The Wormhole wrote: (Post 8025358)
Although, if we're counting the "adult" novels as part of the NSA series, then The Silent Stars Go By was all kinds of awesome.

I loved Jenny Colgan's Dark Horizons. The ending makes me all weepy, in a genuine way, not in the manipulative Moffat-y way.

Cutter John May 1 2013 11:25 AM

Re: Doctor Who Finds "New" Executive Producer
 
Sound slike he's got the credentials for the job, and anyone who worked on the last few series of SJA is okay in my book. Toward the end that series had become just as good, sometimes better than Who.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.